Arizona anti-immigrant bill...an opportunity for Puerto Penasco?

jerry

Hey new airport,plenty of places to stay for people that now hate Arizona. Why not go to Mexico and stick it to crazy land...
by Alicia E. Barrón
azfamily.com
Posted on April 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM
Updated yesterday at 4:54 PM
PHOENIX - Since Arizona's controversial immigration bill was signed many around the nation have called for boycotts on the state.

Civil rights organizations banned together at the state capitol Friday to announce the launch of the website www.boycottarizona.org.

Some local businesses are already feeling the financial fallout. The Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association say 19 meeting have been cancelled because of Senate Bill 1070.

These groups represent an economic impact of $6 million to the state.

Ben Bethel says, “It's been a very quick swift action like I've never seen before.”

He is the owner of the Clarendon Hotel and says business has slowed since Senate Bill 1070 was signed.

Bethel explains, “We've had three groups cancel. As of today we've been receiving some angry telephone calls, emails and faxes.

One fax reads “Boycott Arizona. Don't buy, vacation or do business in Arizona.” The fax even encourages residents to buy only what you need and “help stop racist people from having their way."

That was a devastating message for the independent locally-owned hotel. Bethel says, “We were just about to get better, hopeful, confident about the economy get better but not in Arizona…not going to happen unless things are changed.”

Adam Goldman, a video game developer, is also finding his business at odds with SB-1070. He says, “Project Blue Ghost is our biggest development title to date.”

Production is set for October. The plan was for the 30 cast members to come to Arizona but Goldman says, “They don't want to come to be harassed and they don't want to be associated with anything in Phoenix right now.” He adds, “I have to do what's best for my family and staff and move production to LA.”

Goldman is taking the $2 million budget he has with him. He says he just hopes someday his home state becomes desirable again and asks people to consider that, “The citizens of Arizona didn't do anything wrong, the hard-working men and women of Arizona aren't to blame for this.”

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We have the infrastructure, we have the manpower, we have the desire to produce anything that needs to be produced right here in Penasco, one hour south of the line but worlds apart in human compassion and business flexibility. It is time for those businesses in Phoenix and Tucson to think South.

Kenny

if you think the states are the enemy

The Mexican States no?
I'm a patriot, who lives in the good old USA of A, not a ex patriot with vested interests in Mexico like yourself. You and some others are making a big mistake if you think the states, or the people of AZ are the enemy of Mexico, and overreacting to this bill that has not even been passed yet, might only hurt Mexico...Some of you need to get off your high horse, and stop trying paint this picture with such a broad brush.:stir:

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
I'm a patriot, who lives in the good old USA of A, not a ex patriot with vested interests in Mexico like yourself. You and some others are making a big mistake if you think the states, or the people of AZ are the enemy of Mexico, and overreacting to this bill that has not even been passed yet, might only hurt Mexico...Some of you need to get off your high horse, and stop trying paint this picture with such a broad brush.:stir:
Yep.

Kenny...you have me scratching my head in wonder....sometimes I completely agree with you.....as in this post....and sometimes I wonder what you've been drinking(or smoking) when you doubleteam with your buddy Jerry?????????? :stir:

Kenny

On this 25th of April, I haven't had a drink or a toke for 11 years ... Had 12 years without a drink once before,( I went on the Marijuana maintenance program) but when I fond out the deposit for Corona bottles was so high that I could turn them in for a new case..it was on!

Jerry has vested interest's in Mexico, but you don't see him pulling punches, do you? In case you haven't noticed Joe, my friend Jerry is a blue collard cement mixing humanitarian, who would like to see all of us all doing well.
In case you haven't noticed this as well ( what have you been smoking:?).. It's the party that sailed off with your money...The party that many of you championed during the election that are standing up on these bigoted platforms in many state's, and one's that are not on, or near, the border.
There are many of you on this forum who've lived in the southwest and Cali all of your lives, and remember when the word "immigration" could bring a stampede out the back door of shop's, and restaurants, and the hiding in porta pot's on job site's. The laws have been in place, but not inforced...Why? Because they don't want to loose cheap labor on one side, and vote's on the other.
For those of who have lived in Phoenix like I did for so many years, maybe Tucson too, you must know, or you should know, that many Mexican Americans who've lived in the state's for generation now, are not real keen about all the illegals either!
Our government by their inaction for all these years have us once again between a rock and a hard place, and guess what? It's going to be costly in many different way's.

Roll another one, just like the other one... Oh, by the way..when I stopped drinking the first time in 83, I grew my plant from cutting's in 4 different states for my own use. Yes, I have a green thumb.:-D

Last edited:
On this 25th of April, I haven't had a drink or a toke for 11 years ... Had 12 years without a drink once before,( I went on the Marijuana maintenance program) but when I fond out the deposit for Corona bottles was so high that I could turn them in for a new case..it was on!

Jerry has vested interest's in Mexico, but you don't see him pulling punches, do you? In case you haven't noticed, my friend Jerry is a blue collard cement mixing humanitarian, who would like to see all us all doing well.
In case you haven't noticed this as well ( what have you been smoking:?).. It's the party that sailed of with your money...The party that many of you championed during the election that are standing up on these bigoted platforms in many state's, and one's that are not on, or near the border either!

Kenny...I'm not going to argue politics with you....I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat....although I lean towards the conservative side of the spectrum on some issues .
There are many of you on this forum who've lived in the southwest and Cali all of your lives, and remember when the word "immigration" could bring a stampede out the back door of shop's, and restaurants, and the hiding in porta pot's on job site's.
Yeah.....used to joke that if you wanted to get faster service in the ER, just yell "Immigration"!!!! :stir:
The laws have been in place, but not inforced...Why? Because they don't want to loose cheap labor on one side, and vote's on the other.

Again, wholeheartedly agree...it comes down to economics!

For those of who have lived in Phoenix like I did for so many years, maybe Tucson too, you must know, or you should know, that many Mexican Americans who've lived in the state's for generation now, are not real keen about all the illegals either!
Our government by their inaction for all these years have us once again between a rock and a hard place, and guess what? It's going to be costly in many different way's.

I agree with you and Obama is no different then any other administration on that issue, claiming (and I am paraphrasing) that too much energy has been expended on his health care push, that immigration reform has to be put on the back burner. So it doesn't appear to be a high priority for him either!

Roll another one, just like the other one... Oh, by the way..when I stopped drinking the first time in 83, I grew my plant from cutting's in 4 different states for my own use. Yes, I have a green thumb.
I don't smoke....never have smoked anything....but if you wanted to make me some "brownies" I'd be glad to try!!! Maybe it would help me "see the light". :rofl:

A

AZ Miguel

Yep....me 2

Kenny

Kenny...I'm not going to argue politics with you....I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat....although I lean towards the conservative side of the spectrum on some issues .

I know Joe, I should have put "our money". We know who I meant though, don't we?:-D

A

AZ Miguel

You forgot to add "Illegal" to the title of this thread. Just trying to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Submarine

+10 for Kenny.

I don't know if this law will be the answer but it certainly brought the problem to the forefront. There is also plenty of blame to share on both sides of the aisle.

It's frustrating because illegals cause lots of problems and increased costs in our State, but not all illegals are problems. They've got to figure out some sort of balance where the ones who just want day labor/seasonal work can come but not take American jobs.

NAFTA definitely needs to go away.

jerry

Russell Pearce's son was fired from the DMV a few years back for selling drivers licenses.Fake ID biz is just going to boom.I'm sort of sick of doing physical labor at 58 maybe "Master Forger" would be a good white collar job.
From a Fallows commenter:
The truly entertaining bit about the new papers-please regime in Arizona is that it's actually harder for Americans to demonstrate that they're legally in the US than it is for anyone else: to a zeroth-order approximation, no American has a passport (the most recent figure I've seen is 25%) or citizenship card, let alone carries it with them. Driver's licenses and social security cards don't demonstrate anything about the holder's legal presence. In contrast, someone who is illegally in Arizona and might well already have an illicit social security card has little downside to acquiring knockoffs of whatever documents the local authorities want: I predict Arizona's next booming industry will be forgery.

cheatka

Fact remains that a valid DL will suffice. Betcha the officer of the law will check the DL number in his I pod or car computer and verify that # is issued is to YOUR name and address. A valid DL is all that is needed, operative word "VALID".
Yep, I'm being tacky again, this was gathered by an archivist and he doesn't pass on anything he doesn't check out.
I have nothing against LEGAL immigration or some kind of work program but this is crap as 100's sneak across the border everyday just in Az. It's not like the ones that used to sneak across 30 yrs ago....this is a whole new breed and the info below verifies it.
This information was compiled from F.B.I. and Department of Homeland Security reports:

* 83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for ILLEGAL aliens.

* 86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for ILLEGAL aliens.

* 75% of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles , Phoenix and Albuquerque are ILLEGAL aliens.

* 24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals.

* 40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals.

* 48.2% of all inmates in New Mexico detention centers are Mexican nationals.

* 29% (630,000) of convicted ILLEGAL alien felons fill our state and federal prisons at a cost of $1.6 billion annually

* 53% plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas are perpetrated by ILLEGAL aliens.

* 50% plus of all gang members in Los Angeles are ILLEGAL aliens

* 71% plus of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California were stolen by ILLEGAL aliens or “transport coyotes".

* 47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are ILLEGAL aliens.

* 63% of cited/stopped drivers in Arizona have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 63%, 97% are ILLEGAL aliens

* 66% of cited/stopped drivers in New Mexico have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 66% 98% are ILLEGAL aliens.

* 380,000 plus “anchor babies” were born in the U.S. to ILLEGAL alien parents in just one year, making 380,000 babies automatically U.S. citizens.

* 97.2% of all costs incurred from those births were paid by the American taxpayors.

t

jerry

Funny how now the housing bubble is over we're all suddenly scared of this fake crime wave...what bs...check the Republic today and you will see crime is down from 2001.Why next thing we'll hear is how those oversexed Mexicans are after our white women.....If this is what you believe(well not the white women part) why are you guys against a national identity card (even if it is just for employment) You really don't want to solve this problem and i think what is really bothering you is the fact that people of color are getting political power and you fear your position at the front of the free government cheese line isn't a given in the near future.

JimMcG

Yep, I'm being tacky again, this was gathered by an archivist and he doesn't pass on anything he doesn't check out.
I have nothing against LEGAL immigration or some kind of work program but this is crap as 100's sneak across the border everyday just in Az. It's not like the ones that used to sneak across 30 yrs ago....this is a whole new breed and the info below verifies it.
This information was compiled from F.B.I. and Department of Homeland Security reports:

* 83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for ILLEGAL aliens.

* 86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for ILLEGAL aliens.

* 75% of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles , Phoenix and Albuquerque are ILLEGAL aliens.

* 24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals.

* 40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals.

* 48.2% of all inmates in New Mexico detention centers are Mexican nationals.

* 29% (630,000) of convicted ILLEGAL alien felons fill our state and federal prisons at a cost of $1.6 billion annually

* 53% plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas are perpetrated by ILLEGAL aliens.

* 50% plus of all gang members in Los Angeles are ILLEGAL aliens

* 71% plus of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California were stolen by ILLEGAL aliens or “transport coyotes".

* 47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are ILLEGAL aliens.

* 63% of cited/stopped drivers in Arizona have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 63%, 97% are ILLEGAL aliens

* 66% of cited/stopped drivers in New Mexico have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 66% 98% are ILLEGAL aliens.

* 380,000 plus “anchor babies” were born in the U.S. to ILLEGAL alien parents in just one year, making 380,000 babies automatically U.S. citizens.

* 97.2% of all costs incurred from those births were paid by the American taxpayors.

t

Please provide a link to those FBI and DHS reports that were cited.

Thanks.