Can you speak spanish?

Can you speak Spanish?

• No....

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • A little bit, enough to find the restroom.

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Yep! I'm practically Mexican.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Of course, I am Mexican, you idiot.

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

InkaRoads

cronopiador
and castillian too, need translation services? better than any internet automated translators!! but I am not mexican!! I will leave the last 2 words out so nobody takes it personal!! :eek3:

Last edited:

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I'd love to learn Spanish... I have rosetta stone, I just can't find time to do it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Immersion, Tyler. Total immersion is the best way! The wife and I always try to learn at least one new word every trip. Last time, the word was "popote." (a drinking straw)

One of your poll options should have been 'Pretty damned good Spanglish' That's where I am these days!
:blah: <---- me speaking Espanol (not)

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Yeah, I won't be making any trips down there anytime soon :(

My son will be born in 2 months, and since he's my first kid, I'm sure he'll be taking over my life for atleast a year, if not longer.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Better go now??? You won't want to go in two months anyway - too damned hot!

as long as I can use my hands to give signals and see the look on the other persons face, I'm fluent in Espanglish... put me on the phone and I'm lost for words...

A

azbeachboy

I picked up a girl for a one night stand back in the 80's that didn't speak English. Does that count? I had to speak Spanish to get her back home. Now that I think about it was more than once. Yeah, I speak Spanish. And no it wasn't the black widow... and no beads.

A guy that I met at the RV park last week spoke very good Spanish (he's a gringo). I asked him how he picked it up, and this is what he told me worked for him: buy some Hispanic music CD's that have the little book inside with the lyrics. (I'm still trying to figure out what to do if I get one that doesn't have the words......just enjoy the music I guess). Anyways, write the lyrics in Spanish on a piece of paper. Write the translation word in English above the Spanish words. Listen to the CD and read the music at the same time to understand the actual meaning of the song. He said it worked for him and since I'm a music freak, I'm going to give it a try.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Try Mana, many of their CD have the lyrics on them and the music is very nice if you like kind of caribean soft rock with salsa mix, I will recommend "Suenos liquidos" y "Cuando los angeles lloran" although any of thier CDs are good, Shakira also, her second CD "Donde estan los ladrones" and my favority Salsa singer Ruben Blades "Tiempos", "La rosa de los vientos" and "Mundo" this last one has the lyrics in english too!!
Make yourself a mojito or two while you listen to the music and open yourself to any mistakes, you will improve with time, another think that will help a lot is reading an easy or simple book in spanish but read it at loud to hear yourself so your ears get used to the sounds too and you know what they say practice makes perfect, so I will talk to you in spanish everytime we meet in RP!! :eek3:

D

DonJaime

I found that watching DVD movies with the Spanish voices and English subtitles worked well. You can reverse to English vocal with Spanish subtitle. Also, carry a translation dictionary and try to speak Spanish at every opportunity.

B

bahiatrader

My mom spoke Castillano. She said Mexicano was a different language. I rattled off a bunch of Mexicano at her once, and she said, "I'm sorry Rbert. I didn't understand everything you said." Maybe it was my Mexicano which is a different dialect than Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator: