Cartel Shootout - Sounds like it was Southwest of Nogales

Encanto

29 Reported Dead in this article

wireupdate.com/.../29-killed-in-shootout-between-drug-rivals-in-mexicos-sonora-state/

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
don't take this the wrong way anyone........but maybe they will just kill each other off and then we won't have to deal with this crap anymore
Looking on Google Earth, this happened about 125mi from RP. I don't see it as reason to not go. If they were coming up from Sinaloa, they never even came close. One of my favorite places it Mazatlan. I would be more worried about going there than RP. I have been offered to buy drugs there in the past and never been approached in RP

Last edited:

jerry

Well Known Member
don't take this the wrong way anyone........but maybe they will just kill each other off and then we won't have to deal with this crap anymore
Looking on Google Earth, this happened about 125mi from RP. I don't see it as reason to not go. If they were coming up from Sinaloa, they never even came close. One of my favorite places it Mazatlan. I would be more worried about going there than RP. I have been offered to buy drugs there in the past and never been approached in RP
Don't listen to the cheerleaders..This is a huge huge deal.The hospital in Caborca is overflowed with wounded fighters.Zetas working for Beltran against the Sinaloans. The word is the two city officials killed last week near Altar were bringing gas to one side .So in summary avoid Sasabe,Saric,Tubutama,Altar and Caborca.....
More dead today than Afghanistan.....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Fox news (Channel 10) just reported on this shootout saying 21 people were confirmed dead. They did not give a specific location, only "12 miles from the border in an area known for drug and human smuggling." Still the graphic they showed looked VERY close to Sonoita. Not good at all. Just hearing that is going to make the average gringo think there is a war going on. Hell, THERE IS a war going on if 21 people are dead!!

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Fox news (Channel 10) just reported on this shootout saying 21 people were confirmed dead. They did not give a specific location, only "12 miles from the border in an area known for drug and human smuggling." Still the graphic they showed looked VERY close to Sonoita. Not good at all. Just hearing that is going to make the average gringo think there is a war going on. Hell, THERE IS a war going on if 21 people are dead!!
This wasn't near Sonoyta. It happened near Sasabe, about 20 kilometers from the border. Caborca and Nogales have actually seen a decrease in violent deaths so far this year.

Encanto

Are you related to jerry?
My kid saw this on Yahoo, thought I would post it.

Not trying to antagonize anyone; 29 were killed, I just wonder how many were directly involved.

That was my first post, thought the information may be helpful.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!

Not trying to antagonize anyone; 29 were killed, I just wonder how many were directly involved.

Dont know right now how many are directly ( i may never know cuz I dont know anything really) involved but I would put it somewhere around 100% this stuff doesn't just happen it is planned!

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member

Thanks for coming out of the shadows, Encanto. El Imparcial is reporting that 21 are dead, 9 more under arrest, 6 of those hospitalized with wounds. All of the injured and dead were directly involved in the illegal activities that lead to this. Two rival cartels faced off and shot each other up. No innocent bystanders. This was a rural area, not a city or neighborhood.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
was this an 1800's shootout? did they just face each other and shoot? maybe more tactical warfare would be advantageous.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Usually, bad people are not the brightest stars in the sky and on top of that give them guns and there you go an 1800's shootout!! somebody mention to me the other night over some beers, maybe what needs to happen is for the people of Mexico to stand against them, the bad people, and hopefully all will be over with like it happen in Colombia, mmmmh!! arepas de queso and a cup of coffe!!

anitacoffee

Updated numbers are 30 dead and 40 wounded in this shoot out.
Multiple newsources are reporting different numbers of how many were killed/wounded so I'm totally confused. Last nights news said 21 dead. I don't want to cause confusion/agitation.
Where this happened is more than 2 hours from PP so that is a good thing.

I tried to do a simple edit to my original post and for whatever reason couldn't get the edit feature to work.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
So, now what do you want us to do with your old information that it is not accurate!! :eek3:

Just kidding!!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
This wasn't near Sonoyta. It happened near Sasabe, about 20 kilometers from the border. Caborca and Nogales have actually seen a decrease in violent deaths so far this year.
Rosy, you missed my point completely. It could have been on Mars! The news report on TV last night DID NOT give a location. They put up a graphic with a red dot on it. The dot was just south of the border and, for anyone that has ever been to Rocky Point, looked to be VERY close to Sonoita. Probably the same graphic they use whenever they talk about Rocky Point. Media distortion? Maybe. Misinformation? Definitely.

"Caborca and Nogales have actually seen a decrease in violent deaths so far this year." Uhhhhh... there's something missing here, too. "...while Sonoita and Puerto Penasco have seen a marked increase."

Let's be honest, shall we, instead of trying to spin things away? I'm actually starting to understand Sub's frustration. 21 people dead is a major deal. Yet, it gets laughed off here as "an old West shootout" and "don't worry, they weren't trying to shoot YOU"?? What in the hell??

anitacoffee

hey, the media is throwing the numbers out there, I'm not making it up. I'm thinking more info may come to light in the next day or two that may change things again or as often happens nothing more will ever be said by the media.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Anita, I am sure you are making those numbers out, no doubt!! do not forget the "I am kidding at the bottom of the post"

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Usually, bad people are not the brightest stars in the sky and on top of that give them guns and there you go an 1800's shootout!! somebody mention to me the other night over some beers, maybe what needs to happen is for the people of Mexico to stand against them, the bad people, and hopefully all will be over with like it happen in Colombia, mmmmh!! arepas de queso and a cup of coffe!!
With the gun laws the way they are in Mexico, and many (most???) could not even afford a weapon, is that even possible in Mexico? Don't want this thread to turn into a pro/con gun control, but we're not talking a citizenry that is armed the way we are in the US......