Cartel Shootout - Sounds like it was Southwest of Nogales

titofontes

What are you guys talking about that is an isolated issue and not close to RP, what about the story that happend this month on the road between sonoyta and RP, where an Armed comando of 28 sicarios stop a convoy of 10 mexican police officers who were transporting another sicario to a hospital in RP that was injured in a gun battell earlier in Sonoyta, they stop the police convoy, disarm the police and take the wounded prisoner from the cops and find him dead one kilometer away with 39 gun shots on the side of the road all this happening in broad daylight. It looks like they really wanted this guy dead pretty bad. You dont think all this issues are relted, Its all The Same groups fighting the same battell to gain Terretory.

http://defrente.com.mx/2010/06/otra-balacera-lo-hieren-en-sonoyta-lo-rescatan-y-rematan-en-la-carretera/

Last edited:

GringoZona

Well Known Member
If I get any more information about this or other events, I'll be sure to bring them to you guys. Hey Tyler, too bad we can't get the posts to go directly to my phone...can we? Didn't we used to have a way to get an email whenever anyone responded to a thread we were interested in? How do I make that happen?
Rosie, when you post, don't use the Quick Reply option, go to "Advanced."

Then scroll down to the options below the post itself and find "Subscription"
"Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes"

Then you choose: "Instantly, using email."

jerry

Well Known Member
From the Border reporter (please visit and donate to this great blog) http://borderreporter.com
And Mexico, and I mean the State, is staying the Christ out of it. Thank you, first of all, to juanito, a reader here who helped set me straight on the players. He’s got it right, Felix the Ice Cream Man is with Raúl Sabori, Paéz Soto, Nini Beltrán and Los Jabalí, Jose Vásquez’s boys from Santa Ana. Collectively, they’re the Sinaloa Federation’s syndicate along the Sonora border. And they’re going against El Gilo, a man identified in an FBI report as Hector Beltrán Leyva’s lieutenant in Saríc and Tubutama, that pocket of cerro between Nogales and Sasabe, just along the Sonora-Arizona border. It is significant that the U.S. intel agencies do not know his real name.

Gilo, according to the FBI, has 300 men stocked in that town and they’re running out of resources. Last week, the chief of police and town treasurer from Tubutama tried to make a run for Nogales to buy gasoline; they were subsequently eliminated from the argument. On June 12, according to a U.S. Border Patrol intel report, Gilo scrapped with the Mexican Army in Cerro Prieto; taking no casualties. The Army backed off, not saying how many casualties they themselves took. Geographically, it’s a rough area to get to; there is exactly one highway leading in, you come in from Magdalena de Kino or you come in from Sasabe or Altar. My apologies to those of you not from this area, it’s late, I’m busy and I don’t have time to explain these logistics. Suffice it to say that there are three entrances towards that mountain range, one from the east, two from the west.

In that gunfight yesterday, the Sinaloa crew fooked up; there’s just no other way to put it. Los Jabalí geared up with 30-50 SUVs and trucks, all marked with three X’s on the windows. Gilo’s people were waiting for them. According to the FBI, the Sinaloans ran into a roadblock, just a couple cars jamming up the road; enough to force the convoy to a halt. It was truly a stupid maneuver, in my opinion. Yeah, you had them cornered, Gilo’s people are sitting stranded in a fooking mountain town for chrissakes. But the Sinaloans moved in linearly when they should have come in from all directions. Idiotas. Bear in mind that the Army did nothing during this occupation; they didn’t move in on Gilo, they didn’t move on the Sinaloans.

From the FBI report: “Subjects report that the Jabalínas (sp) were forced to a stop on the highway when Gilo’s group opened fire and sustained heavy casualties.”

The Sinaloans are supposedly waiting for 300 men to arrive from Sinaloa. Unfortunately for them, Gilo is also awaiting reinforcements.

There’s an old story in the Sierra, about a lion cornered by a pack of dogs and just how many of those dogs the old mountain cat defeated before he was taken down.

Right about now, 48 hours after the killings, there oughtta be two groups coming in from Sinaloa; one from Culiacán, one from the Sierra, Los Mochis, maybe. 300 men, each side, about to fight it out for a mountain town. The FBI is filled with idiots who anticipate this is a mopping up of the Beltrán Leyvas. They ain’t been able to do it yet. In fact, got smoked when they tried.

No, no, mi estimado. One side is brimming, building up in the cities. But the other is quiet, watching, waiting. The dogs are howling; the cat’s snarling, tail lashing. This will be a fight for the corridos to remember. Gonna be one hell of a Fourth of July.

mis2810

Well Known Member
I've been down here since Thursday night and if I hadn't read about it on here, I never would have known it even happened. Wasn't on CNN, and I hate watching local news from Phoenix.

I just hope (I know - against all odds) that nothing else will happen. The news will scare the pigeon poop out of everyone that wasn't already too afraid to come down. I HATE this. I feel badly for the people in town that depend on the tourists. You can see it on the faces of all the vendors on the beach. It's not like it used to be - there's an air of desperation.

Can't they see they're just hurting their own people? Whatever happened to Viva La Raza?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You know what I get out of that report? Complicity. If the FBI, DEA, Border Patrol and Mexican Intelligence know this much about the players, who they are, where they are from, their names, when they are making moves like this, how many men are being sent to fight... and they do nothing? Arrest nobody and just let it happen? WTF? It just begs the question: Who REALLY IS running the country in Mexico?

"Bear in mind that the Army did nothing during this occupation; they didn’t move in on Gilo, they didn’t move on the Sinaloans."

jerry

Well Known Member
Homeland Security very well might use the sinaloans to watch our Southern Border...hey we deal with heroin cartels in Afganistan.These guys check all the vans in Altar and could keep track of who's who..
You know what I get out of that report? Complicity. If the FBI, DEA, Border Patrol and Mexican Intelligence know this much about the players, who they are, where they are from, their names, when they are making moves like this, how many men are being sent to fight... and they do nothing? Arrest nobody and just let it happen? WTF? It just begs the question: Who REALLY IS running the country in Mexico?

"Bear in mind that the Army did nothing during this occupation; they didn’t move in on Gilo, they didn’t move on the Sinaloans."

jerry

Well Known Member
In Chicago you can tour sites of Gangster shoot outs (St. Valentines massacre etc.) this might be a good tour opportunity after the dust settles.....legalize all of it..80 per cent of the profits are from marijuana...crummy marijuana

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Rosie, when you post, don't use the Quick Reply option, go to "Advanced."

Then scroll down to the options below the post itself and find "Subscription"
"Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes"

Then you choose: "Instantly, using email."
Aha...Thank you James, I would never have figured that out by myself.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member

You couldn't be more right, Stuart. And those of you north of the border should note that both governments are complicit in what is and is not being done.

P

Pete

Nogales is far away from Puerto Penasco........Rocky Point still remains safe & super safe for tourists.( Facts are the Facts )...I just spent June 28- July 4th in Rocky Point & I couldnt have been any safer w/ thousands of tourists safely enjoying the beach.......Jaurez where the real shooting is happening & the cartels are killing eachother is directly next to El Paso Texas and El Paso remains one of the safest cities in the USA.

My point is because there was a shootout in a desert drug corridor 125 miles from Penasco doesnt all of a sudden make it unsafe for tourists to go to RP. Hundreds of people are killed in Chicago, Phx, LA ETC....Would you still go to those cities?? ofcoarse you would....

Facts are the facts thousands of American tourists go safely to RP every month w/ NO PROBLEMS....You are safer in RP than you are in many American cities.........See you on the beach......

jerry

Well Known Member
It wasn't that far(hour and a half by car) and the same actors were tied to some of the Sonoyta stuff..Sinaloans against Beltrans...scary as you can imagine...these guys chop off heads and sew them on scoccer balls Still until the first tourist gets wacked I'm not going to worry about it.If i were a mexican business man in RP right now I'd be shitting bricks.
Nogales is far away from Puerto Penasco........Rocky Point still remains safe & super safe for tourists.( Facts are the Facts )...I just spent June 28- July 4th in Rocky Point & I couldnt have been any safer w/ thousands of tourists safely enjoying the beach.......Jaurez where the real shooting is happening & the cartels are killing eachother is directly next to El Paso Texas and El Paso remains one of the safest cities in the USA.

My point is because there was a shootout in a desert drug corridor 125 miles from Penasco doesnt all of a sudden make it unsafe for tourists to go to RP. Hundreds of people are killed in Chicago, Phx, LA ETC....Would you still go to those cities?? ofcoarse you would....

Facts are the facts thousands of American tourists go safely to RP every month w/ NO PROBLEMS....You are safer in RP than you are in many American cities.........See you on the beach......

audsley

Well Known Member
Can't help commenting on the "complicity" theory.

When you have two enemies and they're destroying each other, why not stay out of their way?

This took place out in a rural area where bystanders aren't at risk. What did you want the Mexican army or FBI to do - send in an Apache helicopter to start mowing down everybody on two legs, or try to round them up and put them on trial for... what exactly? Being present at a big gunfight? Unless you've got videotape of specific identifiable individuals shooting at someone, what could convict them of? Should you put your own men at risk by walking into a firefight between a few hundred people, or just let them do your work for you?

Last edited:

Kenny

Well Known Member
audsley, Isn't that a bit like watching your house burn down, without even trying to put out the fire?

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
audsley, Isn't that a bit like watching your house burn down, without even trying to put out the fire?
In this case (although I don't quite see your analogy)....I would wait till they shot each up, and then mop up afterwards. Actually, I would encourage (or facilitate) more gunfights like this one.....send misinformation to both camps so that they show up at the same location.....and let the fireworks begin!!! Then bring in a couple of helicopter gunships to mop up....they are brutal killers and should be treated that way!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Can't help commenting on the "complicity" theory.

When you have two enemies and they're destroying each other, why not stay out of their way?

This took place out in a rural area where bystanders aren't at risk. What did you want the Mexican army or FBI to do - send in an Apache helicopter to start mowing down everybody on two legs, or try to round them up and put them on trial for... what exactly? Being present at a big gunfight? Unless you've got videotape of specific identifiable individuals shooting at someone, what could convict them of? Should you put your own men at risk by walking into a firefight between a few hundred people, or just let them do your work for you?
Uhhh, you're missing something very key here - this kind of violence only begets MORE violence, usually an even bigger retalitory strike. The when, where and who gets killed in the next one could very well be you, minding your own damned business when the bullets start flying.

My point about complicity was that if they (the powers that be) know so much, they should take them out BEFORE it escalates to this level. Right now, it's a sit-and-wait mentality because everyone knows there's another huge bomb, probably bigger than this one, with a fuse lit and burning... nobody can be certain where it will explode.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Uhhh, you're missing something very key here - this kind of violence only begets MORE violence, usually an even bigger retalitory strike. The when, where and who gets killed in the next one could very well be you, minding your own damned business when the bullets start flying.

My point about complicity was that if they (the powers that be) know so much, they should take them out BEFORE it escalates to this level. Right now, it's a sit-and-wait mentality because everyone knows there's another huge bomb, probably bigger than this one, with a fuse lit and burning... nobody can be certain where it will explode.[/QUOT
You are exactly right.probably sooner than later. Jerry you also understand very well what is happening.

mis2810

Well Known Member

My point about complicity was that if they (the powers that be) know so much, they should take them out BEFORE it escalates to this level. Right now, it's a sit-and-wait mentality because everyone knows there's another huge bomb, probably bigger than this one, with a fuse lit and burning... nobody can be certain where it will explode.
But Stuart, it's not like just cutting off the head kills the rest of the body. It's the same with Al Quaeda - you kill the current bosses and there's always others lower in the ranks waiting to move up, and at the same time they're recruiting more to join up.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
But Stuart, it's not like just cutting off the head kills the rest of the body. It's the same with Al Quaeda - you kill the current bosses and there's always others lower in the ranks waiting to move up, and at the same time they're recruiting more to join up.
True. I'm a big fan of the "cockroach" theory, though. Everytime you see one, you step on it. Sure, there will be more of them. But that one I just stepped on? He's a goner! And so will the next one I step on.