Crossing into Mexico

I was returned back into the US because I had 2 small steaks, still in the original pack and frozen, between the US government and the Mexicans lets see how many tourist we can piss off;)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You shoulda just ripped'em open and ate 'em raw on the spot! Then, you could of growled at the Border Agents!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!

The whole food thing has gotten absolutely ridiculous, Art. I mean, I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND the rules for major commercial shipments of fruits, veggies, meats going across the border -- they should be inspected. But, a couple of frozen steaks or a ham sandwich bought at Safeway (wherever) is just insanity. Meanwhile, the drugs and illegals continue to flow over the border in fair numbers while our illustrious Border Agents are busy taking cooked chicken from diabetics and bacon/eggs from other travelers!

GV Jack

Snorin God
We go to RP about three to four times a year. Usually stay for three to five nights at a time. We usually eat every breakfast and dinners out except for one night.
Then we have dinner at "home" on the patio enjoying the water and the wine that one night.

We spend a pretty decent amount of money down there during our visits because my better half does the shops and likes to eat in the better places when on vacation.
I happen to like Sol Beer so that accounts for a big chunk of dough.

We are going back at the end of August and I guarntee you if they make me get rid of the steaks, et al, they will never see my sorry butt down there again. What a
shame they have to screw things up.

Just out of curiosity, anyone ever buy any steaks down there? If so, where and were they good?

Sonora beef is excellent.....I haven't looked for a while, but there are a couple of butcher shops in town. A few years back I bought rib eyes that were excellent. I'm sure someone (full time residents) will pipe up with locations.

mondone

Whitecaps
We go to RP about three to four times a year. Usually stay for three to five nights at a time. We usually eat every breakfast and dinners out except for one night.
Then we have dinner at "home" on the patio enjoying the water and the wine that one night.

We spend a pretty decent amount of money down there during our visits because my better half does the shops and likes to eat in the better places when on vacation.
I happen to like Sol Beer so that accounts for a big chunk of dough.

We are going back at the end of August and I guarntee you if they make me get rid of the steaks, et al, they will never see my sorry butt down there again. What a
shame they have to screw things up.

Just out of curiosity, anyone ever buy any steaks down there? If so, where and were they good?
I always go to the butcher on N. Bravo diagonally across the intersection from the TelMex building. Ribeyes are incredible. I usually buy 4 @ 1"+ for about 18 dollares. New Yorks have been super also.

Roberto

I used to go up to Ajo once a month and stock up on food. I have not even been to the border in over one year now. I have had to change the way I eat, and probably for the better. No more frozen dinners !! Much more fresh veggies and fruit. Chicken, fish and seafood of course.

The only problem I have had with Sonoran beef is that the butcher occasionally ruins the cuts by cutting more on the bias that perpendicular to the grain of the meat. Good flavor but tougher and stringy. That problem being worst at the Santa Fe Market. The carniceria mentioned above is superior. BTW, all of them will cut what you want how you want if you can communicate with them. Pork is a good example, the Mexican style found in the meat counter is thin cut and most of the US folk like it thick for grilling or stuffing. I have been told there is a place that sells Canadian beef off Josefa.

Two convenient places to shop for general stuff, water, paper goods, etc. when you arrive are the Santa Fe market and across the street, the Bodega Aurrera right on Benito Juarez. Super Ley is not far off Benito Juarez and there are many smaller markets you can explore. For superior bakery goods, La Cubanita, fresh Fruit the market on Sinaloa 3 blocks or so off Fremont. And of course fresh seafood of all types at the malecon !

I hope y'all will look on this as an opportunity to try cooking something different when you come here. After all it is a foreign country! Look at it this way. The time you spend shopping and packing in the US can be used on an adventure in Mexico, exploring some alternatives and trying out some new stuff. Odds are you'll discover something new you really love. I'd like to see the recipe / cookbook idea come alive but with recipies using only stuff you can find here. I'm interested in learning more about the cheeses available here for example.

Having said all that I do miss lamb chops, the hot italian sausages and some good extra sharp cheddar, but that will make visiting the US more fun and interesting.

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Get my cheddar at Las Palmas meat there sometimes, he'll cut it the way you want it no problem. I never bring anything down from the states in the food vein anymore and I eat better now too!

az-dan

Hey this is really great information for all of us weekend visitors. There should be a separate post of what food you buy and where in Rocky Point.

Thanks,

GV Jack

Snorin God
You know what Roberto, Russ and all? You guys are great, and you have caused me to have a attitude adjustment. If I can figure out where the heck all those places are, I'm gonna
try out their goods. The heck with those border people. If I die I will come back and haunt this site forever. Any more information you can provide will be gratefully accepted. I assume the food is safe.
The last time I had Dysentery was on Okinawa before they made me turn in my musket.

Thanks for your help...What a great site.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, isn't it befitting that I would reach my 2000th post talking about food... LOL! The meat market is called Cedasa, kitty corner from the Tel mex tower. Las Palmas is about 1 block north of Benito Juarez on Constitucion on the west side of the street. I buy a few things here and there in PP but I like my potato bread, kettle cooked potato chips, cinnamon flavored coffee and liquid Coffee Mate. Americana chipilona! LOL! I had been thinking about going to the meat market for awhile and so now that's what I'm going to do. I already have a tortilla shop and a bakery that I use. I think that's a very good idea to have people list their favorite shops, markets, bakeries, etc. My problem is that I can't tell you an address, only how to get there. LOL! And welcome GV Jack! Another comedian! LOL! "Before they made me turn in my musket" LOLOL!

Roberto

Hey this is really great information for all of us weekend visitors. There should be a separate post of what food you buy and where in Rocky Point.

Thanks,
I could go for that! Category "Where to buy food (Stuff?)" a thread for: General Groceries, Dairy & Carne (Meat), Fresh Fruit and Veggies, Mariscos (seafood), Baked goods & Tortillas, Local Recipies and how to prepare local foods, Health Care, Paint & Hardware, Dining Out, Auto/Boat parts & Repair, Miscelaneous. Is that too many? What else? Sort of like the set up for different parts of town. Is that a pain in the a** to set up and monitor?

If posters are kind enough to keep to category and give some info. about products available and directions and location, and we can keep reasonable on track and unHAPPY, it would be very useful, particularly with the changes that seem to be coming about at the border. This would work if for reference and not idle chatter that one would have to wade through to find out something.

Last edited:

Roberto

Actually I think CEDASA is a supplier, brand name, of beef. I may be corrected on this but there used to be a CEDASA store that supplied restaurants with vacumn packed steaks over on Kino blvd. You will see delivery vehicles around town with that name. Last I was in that location on Kino they did not sell cuts , only large sections to the butcher shops. CEDASA is painted on the building you mention but you will often see logos like Coke, etc. etc. painted on shops here. I think it means "We Sell CEDASA Beef" painted on the wall.

LJ, good detailed directions would be more useful than addresses what with not too many street signs. You know, like "Turn right at the Burger King as you come into town, go two blocks and look on the left hand side of the street. or ' Las Palmas is On Constitution, the Street that Super Ley is on" etc.

Like evderyone else I spend a good chunk of money in Rocky Point, the idea is that I had 2 small steaks I was going to cook that evening, these were the Mexican Immigration, AND NO, i DID NOT HAVE ANY OTHER FOOD with me, The economy is bad everywhere, not just in Mexico, you would think they would not like to hurt it even more

Roberto

Like evderyone else I spend a good chunk of money in Rocky Point, the idea is that I had 2 small steaks I was going to cook that evening, these were the Mexican Immigration, AND NO, i DID NOT HAVE ANY OTHER FOOD with me, The economy is bad everywhere, not just in Mexico, you would think they would not like to hurt it even more
I agree with those sentiments completely. I was trying to get an idea if this is a blanket 'any food' restriction or more narrow. I know of one restaurant here that will be pretty much out of business if they cannot import some stuff. They do stop and declare and pay but they bring in quite a bit of stuff.

From now on, if I AM going to bring some food across the border, I'm going to go with the old trick I used when I had to share a common lunch fridge with dozens of other random employees, in which I would take a few strategic bites out of whatever item I had. I guess one could also try opening the bag of chips or snacks, making it look half-empty, opening the container of milk and drinking a third of it, maybe putting it into a couple of oversized sports bottles, or, hell, maybe putting things in tupperwear containers instead of their original cans. I can't see them demanding what appears to be leftovers...

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We have everything we need available here....why hassle with the ever moving target at the border. There is a demand for items here and that demand will be met regardless of the line in the sand. Sure you may pay a bit more for what you want but really its want you want........wherever there exist a demand (vacuum) there is a supply (positive or high pressure) and the vacuum is always - always fulfilled.

But back on point ........whatever you need or want is available here in your favorite beach town in Mexico all the time! Maybe you have to search, maybe you have to drive around and explore but good grief people this is life and it's a lot funner when you get to live the way you want and learn at the same time....get out there and see what there is to see and learn what there is to learn.