Crossing into Mexico

I think you are referring to Basy's. They are off of Revolucion and San Luis. The big church, San Judas Tadeo, is on San Luis just north of Revolucion and her torteria is just South. She has very good tortas.
The place for tortas across the street from the Catholic church on Simon Morua is called Tacos Poblamo....

So just to clarify - I have to declare bottles of Whiskey and any/all lunch-meat/bread chips I bring down to Rocky Point? Oh Joy, this sounds fabulous rule that will backfire and ultimately redirect potential visitors someplace else...

Lets say I have the following in a cooler & grocery bag - What Am I subject to declare?:

Carton of cigerettes
1.75 bottls of Jack Daniels
Bags of chips
Lunch Meat
Cheese
Eggs
Milk
12 pk of Coke & Diet Coke
case of beer

Also,
I always get the accident insurance for my SUV, but have the rules changed as far as insurance companies insuring car theft in Mexico?

Thanks!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
So just to clarify - I have to declare bottles of Whiskey and any/all lunch-meat/bread chips I bring down to Rocky Point? Oh Joy, this sounds fabulous rule that will backfire and ultimately redirect potential visitors someplace else...

Lets say I have the following in a cooler & grocery bag - What Am I subject to declare?:

Carton of cigerettes
Bags of chips
Lunch Meat
Cheese
Eggs
Milk
case of beer

Also,
I always get the accident insurance for my SUV, but have the rules changed as far as insurance companies insuring car theft in Mexico?

Thanks!
Nothing has really changed,everybody talks about new rules and there are no new rules they are just enforcing old rules, we pulled into port in Cabo San Lucas from San Diego in 2004, the first thing the customs inspector latched onto were the steaks, eggs and lunch meats in the refrigerator, that was 7 years ago and the bags of used clothes have always been an item that couldn't cross. Liquior is 3 liters whether its beer or whiskey. Also on the US side Bob Chin from Lopez had his beef, lunchmeat and even hard boiled egss confiscated Sunday night.On the Mexican side if you dont get the light you dont have a problem, about a month ago i crossed a case of smoked baby backs and a case of angus burgers.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
We pulled in to the US side a couple months ago and I declared some lamb I had in the ice chest, the customs ispector told me I couldn't enter with the lamb and then he said wait a minute and he called the agriculture inspector out and he told me lamb was fine, then he saw my dogs and mentioned also coming back dog food is not allowed.

I doubt the tourism industry will tank just because of a bag of chips and a couple of bags of groceries. As for insurance, there has not been a change. Theft coverage is available if you choose to purchase it. Deductibles are high on all insurance other than Liability. Be aware that off-roading voids a policy, as does driving under the influence.

AZ ROB

I doubt the tourism industry will tank just because of a bag of chips and a couple of bags of groceries. As for insurance, there has not been a change. Theft coverage is available if you choose to purchase it. Deductibles are high on all insurance other than Liability. Be aware that off-roading voids a policy, as does driving under the influence.
People drive under the influence in Rocky Point:think:

Roberto

Carton of cigerettes
Bags of chips
Lunch Meat
Cheese
Eggs
Milk
case of beer

Thanks!
Why do you go to all the trouble to buy, pack, transport, unload and unpack all that stuff? You can buy it all here. You are coming to a foreign country, enjoy the differences.

Roberto

They sell Jack in Penasco Roberto? Not starting a beef with you, just thought mexico sold no whiskey.
No don't start a beef, you cannot bring that across at all !!!

I'm pretty sure the Crucero Liquor store has it. I know you can buy it at the Santa Fe market, already premixed in a can of coke !! You can also stop at the border and buy it cheap. Alternatively have an adventure and go on a Tequila tasting venture. Bet you'll find one you like. Enjoy something different.

Hello,

concerning your comment "if you don't get the light, you don't have a problem" when entering sonoita...... Not true for me the last time I re-entered Mexico. the guy at the Lukeville gas station had mentioned the new sign saying that people cannot bring in food or dog food to Mexico and i thought he was kidding. I crossed with 4 ice chests full of the special kind of food that I eat. I got the green light, breathed a sigh of relief silently and then slowly proceeded forward but had a guard flash a flashlight into my rearview mirror and so I figured this meant I had to stop. (it was at night so I saw the light, not sure how well that would have worked during the day) Which i did and he proceeded to ask me to open up the back of my class B motorhome (which is basically a large van with a tall ceiling). He just poked around a little and I did not mention the 4 ice chests and then he let me go. I am working on my special situation of eating certain food due to a health condition since Mexico does not have what will work for me nutritionally. i own a home in Penasco and tend to go there frequently.

azfish

Why do you go to all the trouble to buy, pack, transport, unload and unpack all that stuff? You can buy it all here. You are coming to a foreign country, enjoy the differences.
That looks like what I bring every time when I come, and the reason I bring it is so I dont get sick from some of the food I can buy in Mexico. Talking with experience.

playaperro

El Pirata
The duty free store has Jack Daniel's
I'm going to strangle you at the cheeseburger party for that comment Chari,lol, I said they sell no Jack Daniels in a real bottle in Penasco! They can mix what ever they want it a can and sell it!

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
What Playa? I'm almost sure I saw it in Brisas but am sure I saw it in the duty free store. I didn't pay any attention to the prices as I only drink Ron Bacardi Anejo in Mexico.

Hey Playa...how about that liquor store next to Cosmos2000...they used to have a "back room" with the "better stuff"?????