Crossing into Mexico

But back on point ........whatever you need or want is available here in your favorite beach town in Mexico all the time! Maybe you have to search, maybe you have to drive around and explore but good grief people this is life and it's a lot funner when you get to live the way you want and learn at the same time....get out there and see what there is to see and learn what there is to learn.
I DO like supporting the local community and mostly eat out and/or stop by the Super Ley or wherever as much as possible rather than bringing in items from the US, but on my short trips, it's nice to have some munchies or maybe tuna salad, etc. as a beach snack already prepared as to save time.

jerry

Hey not to get mad but screw them..we are letting their trucks in now and that is a big deal..
We have everything we need available here....why hassle with the ever moving target at the border. There is a demand for items here and that demand will be met regardless of the line in the sand. Sure you may pay a bit more for what you want but really its want you want........wherever there exist a demand (vacuum) there is a supply (positive or high pressure) and the vacuum is always - always fulfilled.

But back on point ........whatever you need or want is available here in your favorite beach town in Mexico all the time! Maybe you have to search, maybe you have to drive around and explore but good grief people this is life and it's a lot funner when you get to live the way you want and learn at the same time....get out there and see what there is to see and learn what there is to learn.

mis2810

We love the food down here and buy everything we need when we arrive. Everything is so much fresher and flavorful from the chicken and beef to every fruit and vegetable we ever buy. So nice to eat eggs, chicken, etc., without all the hormones, and corn-fed rather than the crap we get up north. Even a scrambled egg tastes like heaven down here!!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We like to bring our own lunch meat and/or sandwiches for the boat with us. Sorry -- I've never seen GOOD Boar's Head deli quality meats and artisan sub rolls anywhere in Penasco for making Connie's killer fishing sandwiches! Spoiled, maybe. But, I look forward to that sandwich after being out on the water for hours!

Breakfast? Reggie's burros and donuts. Dinner? Who cares? We go out to eat.

The best revenge is eating and drinking well!

:puff:

I have always taken my own beef/chicken/lunchmeat with me, just because I wasn't sure how good the quality is down there and I wasn't sure where to buy it. The problem with that is that things either don't get eaten (because I don't feel like cooking) or they go bad before we eat them. I have gotten lucky.....of the nine times we've been down in the last year or so, they've never searched the cooler at the border and I have had no-no's in it each time!! I end up bringing more stuff back....it's ridiculous, so I'm not doing it anymore. I was impressed with Super Ley when I was in it last month....they certainly cleaned it up since Bodega opened!! And, while in Bodega, I checked out their meat department. Looks like any American meat counter (the packaged stuff), minus the big pig head that startled the bejeebers out of me when I saw it, LOL!!! You definitely won't see that at your local Fry's!!! Anyway, I'm going to try some of the places mentioned above for meat (not Bodega, even though it looked fine)..... I already go to the fruiteria on Sinaloa and La Cubanita (favorites), and I buy tortillas from the ladies on the beach (as well as Lupe's tamales!!). A place I was told that is very good for pork is called Cerrata's, which is on Josefa Dominguez, just south of Sonora Blvd.

mondone

Whitecaps
I have always taken my own beef/chicken/lunchmeat with me, just because I wasn't sure how good the quality is down there and I wasn't sure where to buy it. The problem with that is that things either don't get eaten (because I don't feel like cooking) or they go bad before we eat them. I have gotten lucky.....of the nine times we've been down in the last year or so, they've never searched the cooler at the border and I have had no-no's in it each time!! I end up bringing more stuff back....it's ridiculous, so I'm not doing it anymore. I was impressed with Super Ley when I was in it last month....they certainly cleaned it up since Bodega opened!! And, while in Bodega, I checked out their meat department. Looks like any American meat counter (the packaged stuff), minus the big pig head that startled the bejeebers out of me when I saw it, LOL!!! You definitely won't see that at your local Fry's!!! Anyway, I'm going to try some of the places mentioned above for meat (not Bodega, even though it looked fine)..... I already go to the fruiteria on Sinaloa and La Cubanita (favorites), and I buy tortillas from the ladies on the beach (as well as Lupe's tamales!!). A place I was told that is very good for pork is called Cerrata's, which is on Josefa Dominguez, just south of Sonora Blvd.
That's a taqueria, La Carreta. Their specialty is Tacos al Pastor, which in Sonora is generally made of pork. Their lean pork is layered on a skewer along with pineapple and roasted on a brazier. The meat is then thinly sliced, grilled briefly on the grill, and placed on your choice of a corn or flour tortilla. It's a place I love for pork tacos.:thumbsup:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oooh, Thanks Mondone. I've been jonesin' for some tacos al pastor! Now if I could just find a good torta.....I haven't found any good ones since the Tip Top loncheria burned down in the early 80's.... Remember that place, Gato and Sheryl? Yum, ham and white cheese and avocados and mexican mayo on those yummy bolillos.....

And Julie, I'm with you. The last 2 trips we brought food and ended up giving it to the neighbors or bringing it back. It's just too easy and almost as cheap to eat burritos from Reggies for breakfast or split a Sonoran papa for supper.....So, we decided we'd just bring what we can't find there, Powerade, Coffee mate, flavored coffee etc from now on. It'll be fun shopping in Super Ley and the little mercados!

And Julie, if the pig's head startled you, remind me not to tell you my roasted cow's head story. LOL!

I haven't tried it...but Fernando of Tequila Factory recommended a place on the diagonal corner from the big Catholic Church....this is for tortas....

I always try to support the local businesses, only bring down the Boars head products.
I usually shop at the Las Palmas Mercado, 5 blocks south of the Super Ley, much cleaner than the Super Ley and produce is fresher looking. I haven't been to the Super Ley since the BA opened.
The chicken actually tastes like chicken (before corporate america took over the food industry) The butcher there speaks great english and everyone is super helpful. Price wise it is middle of the road.
I need to try the Tortas, Thx, RockyPtJoe.

Jim

I think you are referring to Basy's. They are off of Revolucion and San Luis. The big church, San Judas Tadeo, is on San Luis just north of Revolucion and her torteria is just South. She has very good tortas.

Jim...i was referring to the Catholic Church on Simon Morua and between San Luis & Sinaloa ....that's the street that goes to Ace Hardware off Benito Juarez (and also to Ramon's). This is on the east side of Benito Juarez......the taco/torta place is on the south east corner at Sinaloa and Simon Morua. I'll check it out this weekend....and post the name of the torta place.

Last edited:
A post informed others of where to get different kinds of food sounds like a wonderful idea. There is also a new grocery store on the north end of town that recently opened up. My continued challenge is the simple fact that I eat ONLY ORGANIC fruits and vegetables and such a large variety of these items. I have eaten very, very healthy for years and do not eat red meat or pork and also am allergic to corn and wheat and no gluten. Finding gluten free items easily available and actually fresh (since so few people eat them and it is rare for a small place to have carry them due to it not being economical due to such little need for it) is still not a reality. I have some ideas of how to solve my personal situation, so hearing from others who eat only organic or even the people who only eat raw food would be great so I can share my results with you. Since my personal situation is rather extreme and not the usual, I am used to having to exert extra effort in achieving my goals and also having others not understand what I have to do. I have checked into organic farms here in Mexico and am waiting for a response. Best wishes to everyone in their own personal dietary selections.

Crossed into Mexico around noon today...got the Red Light....was asked for my passport and registration...the agent checked my registration against the door panel VIN....looked in a plastic bin in the back of the truck, but didn't even open the cooler (with food)! ???????????????