Declaring merchandise going into Mexico

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
I just feel buy local if you can (now with Sam's some of the stuff that wasn't available might be ...though not truly local but keeps it open and the locals jobs) if not then just declare and avoid any hassle. #2cents

Terry C

The date of this is 2010... It's also say's ,,,Please look up for changes in this information when you are visiting us again at customs desk or at ..

I don't mind paying the taxes, just want to make sure what is required up front. Do i need to hire customs agent if imports are greater than $1000 or $3000?

Estero

I'd go with printing out the PDF at the link you posted and going with that if the value isn't over 3k. It is from the official Adauna site so hard to argue with, but be sure to pull over and park on the left right after you cross and just go talk to one of the Adauna people. There is a tall young guy (can't remember his name) who speaks english and is a cool guy, if you see him just show him the paperwork from the Adauna site. And remember to smile.

Landshark

Or you could roll up the tinted windows, put on the dark shades, turn up the radio, and hit the gas when the gate comes up! LOL

playaperro

El Pirata
If it's slightly used stuff they will take a look and depends on the personal that is working that day. You can cross sofas and love chairs no problem, now a whole house you might have to park the trailer in the lot at the gas station overnight if the customs office is not open. What i do is a print out out on my home computer what the stuff I think is worth, not let them price it, big deal you pay under 100 bucks most the the time. The other day they let me cross a 42 inch lg hdtv
no charge but it was out of the box.

It's their call what it's worth!

I crossed on June 15 @ 9PM with a load of 15 new windows. I had a receipt with the itemized list of windows and their cost from my buddy's wholesale supply shop. (He gave them to me at cost.) I went to the declaration side and took the receipt to the Aduana agent who spoke great english was very polite and told him what I had to declare. He walked to the truck, compared the receipt with the load and said "OK this looks fine". I said let me pay the tax and be on my way, and he says, I'm not allowed, I need my partner to do that. Well, his partner is a complete jackass, speaks no english and decides that my receipt is no good. Thru translation he said "these windows are very, very expensive, they are electric" I replied "what do you mean electric windows? He pointed at the energy star rating and said "see, they are electric". I replied, "Let me see your boss". That was a mistake! Out waddled a short, wide nazi-like lady who spoke good english and she agreed that my receipt was too low and no good. She explained that it does not matter what you pay for an item, you owe import taxes on the commercial value of the item. I replied, OK how are we going to determine the commercial value of these windows? She replied, I will look it up on the internet! 45 minutes later she came out with a number in mind and I ended up paying $420 and being delayed for an hour and 20 minutes. What a hassle. I know she did not find the true commercial value for the windows since it is not quoted anywhere on the WWW. So I guess it's up to their discretion. My suggestion is to make your furniture look dirty and used and tell em it's not worth crap and let them value it for you, pay the tax and boogie. Good Luck!;-)

Rhino

i came through yesterday at 3:30 with TVs and a cooktop and had the form posted earlier completed. my receipts totaled 1800 dollars and, after a few questions and asked to open one box, was assessed a 3970 peso tax bill. this was about what I had expected. The total process took ten to fifteen minutes....no hassles, no problem just peace of mind.

I also found this link and wonder how much confusion it will add, it states i can bring up to $3000 US without "customs broker" and tax is 16%. Thought about filling it out and presenting it at the border. (need to bring furniture down this weekend), Thoughts??

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2010/Descargas/DECLARACION_ADUANAS_INGLES_18102010.pdf
What I saw there says the $300 (note that it isn't $3000, but yours might just be a typo) limit is for those entering Mexico via air or sea. People crossing into the country by land are limited to $75 usd unless it's a holiday season.

Check the pdf again, Rosy. Under the section Tax Payments it clearly says $3000.00 with accurate receipts and a tax rate of 16%.

$3000 is what it says below from the pdf link. Thanks for clearing this up. No more smuggling, since bringing in $3000 of merchandise never happens for me.
According to the Tijuana Blog at the end of this the exemption is $3000 per vehicle family member.

Passengers may import merchandise other than their personal baggage without hiring a
customs broker, paying the general tax of 16%, provided that the value of merchandises,
excluding duty-free allowance, doesn’t exceed 3,000 USD or the equivalent in MXN currency, and provided that the passenger has the invoice, sale receipt, or any other document expressing the commercial value of merchandise.Taxes may be paid by Internet at Banco Nacional del Ejercito Fuerza Aérea y Armada S.N.C. or www.aduanas.gob.mx,

completing the form “Payment of Foreign Trade Duties”, or through the automatic centers.

Value of computer equipment, together with the rest of merchandise, must not exceed 4,000

USD or the equivalent in other currencies.

From the TijuanaBlog:

What Can I bring in Duty Free

* The items allowed in your personal luggage, according to the length of your trip.
* Up to 75 USD per person in permitted goods, or its equivalent in other currencies. Passengers traveling with family members (spouse and children) may combine their personal exemptions only when arriving together on the same vehicle. In order to claim this additional exemption, passengers must have the corresponding commercial invoices or receipts available. There is a total combined exemption amount that is not stated. It used to be $400 per vehicle.
* Beer, alcoholic beverages, manufactured tobacco and motor vehicle fuel (except for the fuel contained in the vehicle’s fuel tank) may not be included in this additional exemption.

* If the value of the goods surpasses $3000 dollars (per family member) after subtracting the US$75 exemption, or if any of the goods is subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions, you must hire the services of a customs broker.
* Beer, alcoholic beverages, manufactured tobacco and motor vehicle fuel (except for the fuel contained in the vehicle’s fuel tank) may not be included in this additional exemption.
* If you bring a desktop computer, you may pay duties and taxes by filling out a payment form as long as the value of the computer and its peripherals and accessories do not exceed US$4,000. If the total value of the computer and its peripherals and accessories exceeds US$4,000 you must hire the services of a customs broker.
* The import tax rate is 16% on the amount of items you import, after exemptions

* If the value of the items that you are importing are less than you exemption amount, you can proceed via the 'nothing to declare lanes'
* If the value of the items that you are importing is more than your exemption amount, you must proceed to the declaration area. A customs officer will get the value of your items (have receipts if new, helpful to have documented estimates for used items) and subtract your exemption amount. You then pay 16% import tax on the balance. You pay at the bank at customs. You can pay in pesos or dollars.

Items that can be 'in your luggage' that are exempt from importation:

1. Goods for personal use, such as clothing, footwear and personal toiletries and beauty products, as long as they are appropriate for the duration of the trip, including wedding party items. Baby travel accesories, such as strollers and baby-walkers.

2. Two photographic cameras or video recorders, 12 rolls of film or videocassettes; photographic material; three portable cell phone or other wireless networks; global positioning equipment (GPS); a portable typewriter; an electronic calendar; a portable computer (laptop), notebook, omnibook or similar items; a copier or portable printer; a portable projector, and their accessories.

3. Two sports equipment, four rods, three speedboats with or without sails and their accessories, trophies or recognitions, provided that they can be transported normally and commonly by the passenger, one stair climber and bicycle

4. A portable radio for the recording or reproduction of sound or mixed tapes; or a digital sound reproducer or portable reproducer of compact discs and a portable reproducer of DVD’s, such as a pair of portable speakers, and their accessories.

5. Five laser disks, 10 DVD disks, 30 compact disks (CD) or magnetic tapes (audiocassettes), for the reproduction of sound, three software packages and five storage devices or memory cards for any electronic equipments.

6. Books, magazines and printed documents.

7. Five toys, —included those that are collectible— and a video game console and five videogames.

8. One device that permits measurement of blood pressure and one for glucose, as well as medications of personal use; in the case of psychotropics the medical prescription should be shown.

9. One set of binoculars and a telescope.

10. Overnight bags, trunks and suitcases necessary for the movement of goods.

11. Passengers over 18 years of age, may introduce a maximum of up to 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine; in excess of the above, cannot be imported without complying with applicable regulations and restrictions.

12. Two musical instruments and its accessories.

13. A camping tent and camping equipment, as well as their accessories.

14. A set of tools including its case, it might have a hand drill, wire cutters, wrenches, dices, screwdrivers, current cables, among others.

15. Up to two dogs or cats, maybe introduced as well as their accesories, provided that the corresponding zoosanitary import certificate issued by (SAGARPA) is presented to the customs officials.

Last edited:
Getting out of bed, is a life adventure,
I am sure the next time I have 20 gallons of paint or a TV in my car and get the red light, I will whip out the Customs declaration showing
the $3000 valuation exemption and I will get a Aduana agent who "knows nothing" about $3000. And I will go merrily over to pay the tax.

It doesn't say you don't have to pay tax on less than $3000, it just says you don't have to pay for the customs agent, tax is 16% on everything over personal exemption X persons traveling in car.

"
without hiring a customs broker, paying the general tax of 16%, provided that the value of merchandises,excluding duty-free allowance, doesn’t exceed 3,000 USD or the equivalent in MXN currency,"

It doesn't say you don't have to pay tax on less than $3000, it just says you don't have to pay for the customs agent, tax is 16% on everything over personal exemption X persons traveling in car.

"
without hiring a customs broker, paying the general tax of 16%, provided that the value of merchandises,excluding duty-free allowance, doesn’t exceed 3,000 USD or the equivalent in MXN currency,"

LOL! In addition to not scrolling down to read the entire pdf file, I jumped to the same mistaken conclusion...that we were discussing paying taxes. Doh! here it is quitting time and the little light bulb over my head is just now lighting up? Geez...

You're right, Roberto. Maybe I've had a heatstroke and just haven't realized it yet.

Ok, so to sum all this up:
1. If not bringing anything over $75 per person in vehicle=No tax and may use nothing to declare lane.
2. If bringing in things that exceed the $75 per person but under $3000 per family member=Use the declare area and have credible receipts to show value and pay tax.
3. Or use the nothing to declare lane, pray to the light gods for a green light, but if you get the red light plead ignorance and go pay the tax and hope they play nice.
4. If bringing in over $3000 per family member hire a Import/Customs broker and pay the tax and broker fee.
5. Get a boat and load it to the gills with everything you own, load up in LA, cruise around Cabo and pull it in at night in RP to off-load it
and pray you don't get to see where the new jail is.

Roberto

Some folk down in San Carlos told me they bought an old bread truck and put in furniture and appliances, cabinets etc to make it look like ad RV. Cross over, empty the van into the house and make a return trip for more later. They claimed that worked.

MIRAMAR

I don't know how much the Mexican garage salers pay- their trucks remind me of the Mexican version of the Beverly Hillbillies.