Do you have more than $2000 in cash?

Landshark

Going down last Friday at the American checkpoint at the border they asked if I had more than $2000 in cash. Used to be $10,000. When did it change?

Eduardo

Banned for Douchebaggery!
it didn't change, agent can ask you anything and do a search. You are obligated to report if you are taking more then 10k out of the country, lower than that you don't have to but agents whants to know why would you take 2k into mexico, things like that, looking for hesitation in answer. At the port of exit you are not protected by constitution. this is the reason why I have hidden camera rolling inside my car.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yup, consensual conversation and custodial investigation.

You "owe" them no answers- however, civility is a basic skill that typically takes people much farther in life than being an asshole does.

Remember - you are well within your basic human rights (if not your Constitutional rights) to say nothing but "Am I under arrest, or am I free to go?" and doing so puts the burden on them to decide whether to detain you without probable cause, or to let you go on your merry way...

But man, they get PISSED when you do that; and pissing off dudes with guns...? yeah, not my thing.

Eduardo

Banned for Douchebaggery!
Remember - you are well within your basic human rights (if not your Constitutional rights) to say nothing but "Am I under arrest, or am I free to go?" and doing so puts the burden on them to decide whether to detain you without probable cause, or to let you go on your merry way...
I did this once when I was going into nogales mexico. They ordered me to pull over, when I was out agent ordered me to sit on the ground and was very rude, treated me like a criminal, then they checked my car. One of the agents took my cell phone and he was looking trough my messages, other agent look if I have any photos on my digital camera. 10 minutes later, they gave me my passport back and the supervisor came out and was all angry, and he was like giving me the comon thing they say, "you are making these agents work harder, they are here to protect america, but people like you make it so harder" bla bla bla. After this, I installed hidden camera in my car.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I did this once when I was going into nogales mexico. They ordered me to pull over, when I was out agent ordered me to sit on the ground and was very rude, treated me like a criminal, then they checked my car. One of the agents took my cell phone and he was looking trough my messages, other agent look if I have any photos on my digital camera. 10 minutes later, they gave me my passport back and the supervisor came out and was all angry, and he was like giving me the comon thing they say, "you are making these agents work harder, they are here to protect america, but people like you make it so harder" bla bla bla. After this, I installed hidden camera in my car.

Some of the crap you say comes from further than left field! You sure do get yourself into a lot of weird situations.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Eduardo,
You act like you are the victim..... You're not.... It's people like you that give Americans a bad name. If you don't want to comply with the Mexican rules, then don't come to Mexico. It's that simple.... Argh!

jerry

ok E. what is going on? You went from being a Mexico booster two months ago to, well sounding like mr. Moore and me on a bad day I.e. both countries are criminal enterprises preying on us regular guys and everyone else is too stupid to see it

Eduardo,
You act like you are the victim..... You're not.... It's people like you that give Americans a bad name. If you don't want to comply with the Mexican rules, then don't come to Mexico. It's that simple.... Argh!
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and cut into Roberto and GV Jack's Carnac routine: The answer is...Mexican-American!

An outsider in two countries, clearly resents and distrusts both governments and thinks he's got both all figured out. Ni de aqui, ni de alla...but an expert on everything.

Johnny

User is currently banned
Get a life Eduardo! Spend all of that energy playing with your kids. The end result will be young adults who behave responsibly.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and cut into Roberto and GV Jack's Carnac routine: The answer is...Mexican-American!

An outsider in two countries, clearly resents and distrusts both governments and thinks he's got both all figured out. Ni de aqui, ni de alla...but an expert on everything.

Hmmm..... that must make me "American-Mexican", si? No, that can't be, because I get the distinct impression that a great many people on "that side" of the imaginary line simply see me as a living ATM. Cops in Sonoyta see my big fancy boat, and the ticket books and the radar guns stand at the ready, while "locals" go flying past me on the right-shoulder at 60mph.

To me, "Outsiders" are awesome.

I don't know if "Eduardo" is really "Edward" (the way "Roberto" is really "Bob"), but I do know that nothing differentiates PEOPLE on either side of the border other than native language, possibly skin color, and the presence or lack of a Social Security number.

You all need to cut Eduardo a break- he's just another "whacky conspiracy theorist" who can't understand why he is not allowed to travel wherever he would choose to go, without having to interact with the armed "Defenders of Liberty" along the way.

It's not an unfair question, is it?

Now, I'm not defending his BEHAVIOR - Just as I find pastor Steve and his famous youtube videos to be crass and juvenile, so do I fail to understand the logic of taking one's disdain for the state of the legal and judicial system, and focusing it against individual people... especially minions who probably have not spent 5 minutes trying to understand WHY they even have a "job" in the first place.

I have never found the US (or the Mexican) border agents to be overly hostile- and remember, I have been handcuffed and detained by them- numerous times.

Acouple are a little more "gung-ho" than they probably need to be, but that is a condition of youthful exuberance intensified by the gun strapped to their hip.

Eduardo- you are NEVER going to get a Border Patrol agent to look you in the eye and say "You're right. Why am I doing this?" and then walk away and quit their job; especially by being uncooperative or "righteous" in your open and transparent indignation toward them.

And Rosie- You have to forgive all us crazy, freedom loving Gringos for not wanting to see the same kind of uniformed checkpoints HERE that we (and you) have been forced to live with with THERE.

I would personally rather see the Mexican checkpoints done away with, rather than seeing the US hold them up as an example of "best practices"

If the USA is supposed to represent the PROGRESSIVE way FORWARD for the world (thanks for the keywords, all you Demopublican liberals), then how is taking police, patrol, and enforcement examples from "backward third world nations" (other people's words, not mine) a true and valid example of "forward progress"?

The USA- leading the world in the quest for liberty, by doing the same ass-backward things everyone else is doing.

ooo-rah.

Last edited:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
If you don't want to comply with the Mexican rules, then don't come to Mexico. It's that simple.... Argh!

Ummmmm.... He was criticizing US policies, not Mexican ones.

Now, if the American agents were confiscating his T-Bones...? THAT would be a different matter, but the Americans never do that, until you are driving THIS way (as opposed the THAT way)

:cruisin:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Robert, you are correct, I misspoke myself. I should have said the American checkpoint. I have never had a problem there as I answer all the questions and smile......Mexico is worth it.....

playaperro

El Pirata

SIII that's why you won't find any of you nicely written articles on the rocky point times or DEFrente, LOL...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Robert, you are correct, I misspoke myself. I should have said the American checkpoint. I have never had a problem there as I answer all the questions and smile......Mexico is worth it.....

I agree completely (in spite of the way my "asshole-ish" attitudes come across on this forum , LOL)

SIII that's why you won't find any of you nicely written articles on the rocky point times or DEFrente, LOL...
For years I had a column in the Rocky Point Times. I don't understand what your point is. My 'nicely written articles' could find a home in lots of places if I had the time to write with more regularity, as I've been asked to. Let me clarify that I don't happen to buy into the fact that everyone with dual citizenship or with cultural roots in both countries is destined to be an outsider. Look, I've known short men who don't suffer (or make the rest of us suffer) from short-man syndrome, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in others.
For the record, I'm not an outsider in either country.

playaperro

El Pirata
For years I had a column in the Rocky Point Times. I don't understand what your point is. My 'nicely written articles' could find a home in lots of places if I had the time to write with more regularity, as I've been asked to. Let me clarify that I don't happen to buy into the fact that everyone with dual citizenship or with cultural roots in both countries is destined to be an outsider. Look, I've known short men who don't suffer (or make the rest of us suffer) from short-man syndrome, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in others.
For the record, I'm not an outsider in either country.
lol

Last edited:
Hmmm..... that must make me "American-Mexican", si? No, that can't be, because I get the distinct impression that a great many people on "that side" of the imaginary line simply see me as a living ATM. Cops in Sonoyta see my big fancy boat, and the ticket books and the radar guns stand at the ready, while "locals" go flying past me on the right-shoulder at 60mph.

To me, "Outsiders" are awesome.

I don't know if "Eduardo" is really "Edward" (the way "Roberto" is really "Bob"), but I do know that nothing differentiates PEOPLE on either side of the border other than native language, possibly skin color, and the presence or lack of a Social Security number.

You all need to cut Eduardo a break- he's just another "whacky conspiracy theorist" who can't understand why he is not allowed to travel wherever he would choose to go, without having to interact with the armed "Defenders of Liberty" along the way.

It's not an unfair question, is it?

Now, I'm not defending his BEHAVIOR - Just as I find pastor Steve and his famous youtube videos to be crass and juvenile, so do I fail to understand the logic of taking one's disdain for the state of the legal and judicial system, and focusing it against individual people... especially minions who probably have not spent 5 minutes trying to understand WHY they even have a "job" in the first place.

I have never found the US (or the Mexican) border agents to be overly hostile- and remember, I have been handcuffed and detained by them- numerous times.

Acouple are a little more "gung-ho" than they probably need to be, but that is a condition of youthful exuberance intensified by the gun strapped to their hip.

Eduardo- you are NEVER going to get a Border Patrol agent to look you in the eye and say "You're right. Why am I doing this?" and then walk away and quit their job; especially by being uncooperative or "righteous" in your open and transparent indignation toward them.

And Rosie- You have to forgive all us crazy, freedom loving Gringos for not wanting to see the same kind of uniformed checkpoints HERE that we (and you) have been forced to live with with THERE.

I would personally rather see the Mexican checkpoints done away with, rather than seeing the US hold them up as an example of "best practices"

If the USA is supposed to represent the PROGRESSIVE way FORWARD for the world (thanks for the keywords, all you Demopublican liberals), then how is taking police, patrol, and enforcement examples from "backward third world nations" (other people's words, not mine) a true and valid example of "forward progress"?

The USA- leading the world in the quest for liberty, by doing the same ass-backward things everyone else is doing.

ooo-rah.
Funny, Robert, I didn't see...don't see...the similarity between you and Eduardo that you apparently do. I didn't get that he's a "freedom loving Gringo" at all. Nor even much of a conspiracy theorist like you. Certainly a bit paranoid, but he's too scattered in his thoughts to be able to follow (much less formulate) a conspiracy idea, which tend to be complicated. He also strikes me as being mean-spirited
I disagree with you on some points, but I enjoy reading your posts. I think you're giving Eduardo too much credit. The thoughts you ascribe to him here aren't reflected in anything he's written.