Double the Ricks and double the fish

I was out helping with food distribution on Saturday so I wasn't along on this trip... but Rick H. asked me to come down and get some shots when they got in... and after showing this short video to RIC F. he told me to post it and he would add a report... all I'm thinking is the fish are just lucky I wasn't there or we would have really slaughtered them...

GREAT JOB GUYS...

[video=youtube;SNqFy3fph1Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqFy3fph1Y[/video]

and if anyone desrves that shot at the Big Fish it's you Rob... it seems that they have really started to hit the last couple of weekends...

AZ ROB

I will be down July 10th find me a boat for 3 and I will try it again :gofish: If not i will be putting on the scuba gear and and shooting me one....

working on it right now... will give you a call in a few...

on edit... barb is calling now with a killer deal...

Last edited:

RIC

Thanks to SeaDweller for taking and posting the video. We had an incredible time on that trip. I have been wanting to fish with Hammer for a number of years and with my boat being down for repairs, I was able to finally make time to arrange a trip. My good friend Joe Branham had his brother in law in town so we set up a trip on Brents Tiara.....man what an impressive boat!! A fishing machine. We met at the dock just before 700 am, checked the weather and discussed the tide situation and then proceeded to load the boat. We headed out of the harbour and noticed some swell that was running 2-3 feet which we expected as the wind had been blowing steady at 10-12mph all night. Brent's boat handled that with no problem so we proceeded to head for the bait reef. We spent about an hour catching bait which consisted of grunts, bonefish, several species of jack and a few bass. We then headed for the targeted reefs for the day 18 miles further out. When we arrived at the first spot, Rick and Brent cruised the area crisscrossing the area they wanted to start fishing while planning out the drifts and making sure they were set up to spend as much time over productive water on each drift as was possible. After watching them for just a few minutes it was clear I could relax and just fish which I am only able to do when I am not running the boat if I am completely confident that whoever is running the boat is very capable. I did not have to watch Brent and Rick Hammer work for more than 5 minutes before I realized I could completely relax and just fish. We started fishing live baits and scampi jigs and soon had a beautiful Leopard grouper on board. Great start to the day! A couple drifts later, we picked up our first gulf grouper of the day on a scampi jig with a live bait on the hook. Soon after, we had another. As we kept fishing, they were able to get more and more dialed in on the drift and then it happened. Over the years I have been lucky enough to experience a double hookup on gulf grouper. A few times we have even had triple hookups ......this time was different. We actually had a quadruple hookup on gulf grouper. Four fish hooked up at once! Even better, we landed all 4 fish! We celebrated the moment for a while and spent some time taking photos and congratulating each other after that action. After recovering, we set up to drift and continued fishing but the bite had tapered off. we fished several more areas looking for some active fish when we hooked up again. This time it was a beautiful fish of 70 lbs that hit a live bait rig. We continued to fish and check out some new areas for a little while longer before it was time to start heading in. We made our way back to the harbour with a fish count of 7 gulf groupers and 1 leopard grouper. We had one additional fish pull free but had no breakoffs, very few tangled lines and hardly and snags or lost rigging. Overall it was a perfect trip and I would love to do it again anytime.

Ric Felder

www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

WoW... AZ Rob, Coasta Diamante and RIC you guys sure did provide some Fishy material for me to video lately... Congratulations Guys... great fishing...

... lets go harpoon them, sound like fun.

The gulf grouper (Mycteroperca jordani) is a species of fish in the Serranidae family. It is endemic to Mexico.

This species is listed as "Endangered": faces a very high risk of extinction in the near future.

It is easy to target a species, harpooning a curious fish is as good a sport as shooting elephants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_grouper
Wahoo...i rarely post in this part of the Forum since I don't fish......however....you put up what is supposedly someone's quote...about harpooning a baby whale....and maybe I'm not awake yet, but can't find it on this thread.....would you care to indicate where you got the quote? Your whole post seems out of place on this thread!!!!:-?

i'm sure I'm going to get some comments on this...and in no way am I a "sportsfisherman".....I don't fish...but most of the "problems" with species becoming endangered comes from the commercial fisherman. I recall seeing a program back in the early 90's about the Sea of Cortez being fished out of any sharks....because the Mexicans permitted the huge Japanese factory ships to come in. From the posts I've read on here and the number of grouper, gulf or otherwise, being caught by the "sportsfishermen", that indicates to me that they may not be as endangered as someone may be indicating! But then again, what do I know???:stir:

Sorry if I'm off topic, but someone else went there first....

AZ ROB the author of post #4 is a friend of mine and I know that is was just a joke about spearing the fish... or sarcasm as you might say... because he's been out twice and his friends have caught the big fish and he didn't...

Also just a note about endangered species... the tournament earlier this spring was targeting groupers... the Mexican version of fish and game monitor the tourney and record weights measurements and sex of all fish caught... seems weird that they would target an endangered species...

AZ ROB

Wahoo
Normally I dont get in to these type of piss matches on Forums but in all reality have you ever tried to spear a fish? Lets just say it is much easier with a pole and bait. Secondly Spearfishing is more ecologically friendly than dropping a line from 150 to 200 feet from the surface WE CAN SEE WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO KILL you cant do that from the surface. If you catch an endangered species you can't return it because it will die. Lastly if you looked at the avatar you will not see a spear gun or "Harpoon" any where near me as I prefer to dive rather than hunt (But I am not above killing a fish for dinner or grabbing a lobster when in season) :eek:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I have deliberately avoided entering this fray. I have strong feelings on both sides of the issue, as well as knowing Ric for many years. Ric (and obviously Rick) are both good fishermen. I'd also comment that, even though there are 7 or 8 fish laying there on the dock, they're still within legal limits. Mexican fishing regulations specifically state a total of 10 fish, no more than 5 of any one species. Dorado, billfish and sharks are calculated differently - in essence, each one counts as five fish. This is per licensed angler, not per boat. Technically, they are perfectly within their rights to have kept the fish. Morally? That's a whole different subject and something everybody should decide for themselves.

I have taken black seabass and I have taken grouper. I've never taken a full limit of either and feel lucky if I catch one or two now and then. Usually, I have more grouper break off than what I actually get in the boat. They can be a difficult fish to catch because of their sheer size and power. They shred line and tear up tackle. Catching one gives you quite a work out.

I don't want to see either of them black-listed as a no-catch. However, I would like to see the take limited to only one; all others must be released. Because grouper are caught in shallower water, there is not as much of a decompression problem as with the black sea bass, which are generally caught on much deeper reefs. Pull up a large black at the 51 and it's dead when it hits the surface. We have actually released smaller blacks and they seem to head back down and make it just fine. We've never been able to successfully release a large black. We've also released grouper at the boat (some release themselves!) and they swim right back down no problem.

So, if anything, I'd say go catch some fish, but only keep one or two grouper, not seven or eight just because you can. I personally release all billfish I catch and it pains me to see a dead billfish hanging at the dock just because somebody wanted a picture or a trophy. I don't criticize anybody for it, again, it's within their right to do so. Where I do get upset is seeing someone totally flaunt the limits or keep ANY fish that comes in the boat. Guys bragging about catching over a 100 fish and when I ask them what kind, they don't know (it was triggers) but they're certainly proud about slaying over 100 of them. That's just absolutely disgusting to me.

I'm with you on that Stuart... I've caught many big fish on camera, but the biggest I've had on a hook personally has been Leopard Groupers... and I have been on trips with Rick and we have looked each other in the eye and sent the message that we've caught enough... a good captain knows when to say that's enough and we have said it to customers and moved on to shallower water and caught and released bait...

AZ ROB

Exactly Stuart it is all done in moderation I agree with the one large per person I too have seen people pull in tons of fish that they could never possibly eat before it goes bad but they do it to brag and take the pictures. As far as spear fishing NEVER shoot anything longer than my forearm little fish have tons of power against you under water you will go for a ride.

You know if anyone ever gets way too much fish and is looking to give some away... I know of many people that are hungry and would love to add some fish to their diet...

I suggest you don some scuba gear and take a look for yourself, you will be amazed how many gulf grouper are in them rocks, now go out and try to catch one, talk is cheap