Even More Ridiculous...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Crossed going into Mexico Friday night about 9:00. Saw Inka coming north. Only a couple of cars. BUT... they made me pull the boat through x-ray. Had to loop around and get back to the x-ray machine. Just a hassle, no biggie. 1st time I've ever had to get x-rayed BY THE U.S. going into Mexico!!!!! Go figure!!!!

Esperanza

Yep, been there, done that. A few months back, came through with our trailer with the kayak and 4 - 55 gal blue barrels for water. Same thing, x-ray ON THIS SIDE!!! Except, they did not tell us anything, just "get out of the truck and stand over here". Finally, started talking to one of the guys standing around and he told us what was going on.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Guilt over Fast and Furious. The US is now totally controlling the border going both ways.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yep, been there, done that. A few months back, came through with our trailer with the kayak and 4 - 55 gal blue barrels for water. Same thing, x-ray ON THIS SIDE!!! Except, they did not tell us anything, just "get out of the truck and stand over here". Finally, started talking to one of the guys standing around and he told us what was going on.

Did they "tell" you to get out of the truck, or did they ask if you would please get out of the truck?

The reason I ask is that a non-criminal "custodial investigation" requires your consent.

If they ask (or tell) you to leave your vehicle and surrender your possessions to them, you can legally refuse, and force them to place you under arrest...

Now, as the guy who has been handcuffed at the Sonoyta crossing 3 times in 3 years, I guess I shouldn't question their willingness to escalate the force factor.

In fact- because I have been handcuffed and detained so often, I have been researching the law, and I think I am pretty close to understanding the real boundries of their legal authority- and it all relies on your consent.

You are not a suspect until your Miranda rights are read to you- until that point, you are a "person of interest" that the Patriot Act permits them to detain, but ONLY with your consent. Your consent to their requests initiates a contract between you and the State.

I have been cuffed because I consented and allowed them to cuff me- I've never been read my rights.

If you do not consent, then they must arrest you and read you your rights, which opens them to possible legal consequence (but good luck finding a federal circuit Judge who will not pervert the law in order to favor the State- your case would have to go to the Supreme Court).

In fact, the lawyer I have worked with on this research has suggested that I can flash my passport to them, and before they say a word (it's crucial that you speak first) I can ask "Am I under arrest?", and if they say "No" then I can state "Then I am free to go." and they have no legal grounds to detain me. They can say "Well, we'd like you to stay while we check some stuff" at which point I can politely ask again "Am I under arrest?" and if they answer "yes" the 2nd time, then they would have to demonstrate to a judge the criminal evidence that changed their viewpoint and elevated me from "person of interest" to "criminal suspect" during that brief 5 second period...

In short- you are forcing THEM to produce state's evidence before they have found it, so if they chose to arrest and detain you, they would need to:

1) find contraband in your vehicle, or

2) plant contraband in your vehicle, or

3) Open the door to a false arrest civil complaint by you (which again, would probably have to go to the Supreme Court since every federal circuit Judge would probably summarily rule for the defendent in order to maintain the Patriot Act's legal smokescreen)

It's very fascinating- Ever since the 14th amendment, All federal legal authority within the borders of the US has been endowed by contract law based on the UCC, except within the court room, inside which Admiralty law reigns with the Judge as the master of his vessel (which is why every court room has a "name" affixed to the placard outside the door- the court room is effectively classified as a ship at sea.

Roberto

Did they "tell" you to get out of the truck, or did they ask if you would please get out of the truck?

The reason I ask is that a non-criminal "custodial investigation" requires your consent. ETC.

I hope you will keep us up to date on your findings about this matter. I for one am very interested. Thanks in advance.

jerry

A few years (maybe even 8 or 9) ago a friend towed a boat down to San Carlos for a friend that went fishing down there and didn't own a truck to pull it.He had done the same thing with many other Golden Valley friends and coworkers and they all had fun.They crossed the border etc. with no problem and that night in San Carlos while getting a beer out of the boat my friend found the hidden compartment that was filled with ammo the guy brought down with this trick on a regular basis.Not sure what ever happened to that guy but I do know he was still walking with a cane two years after that night.....

A few years (maybe even 8 or 9) ago a friend towed a boat down to San Carlos for a friend that went fishing down there and didn't own a truck to pull it.He had done the same thing with many other Golden Valley friends and coworkers and they all had fun.They crossed the border etc. with no problem and that night in San Carlos while getting a beer out of the boat my friend found the hidden compartment that was filled with ammo the guy brought down with this trick on a regular basis.Not sure what ever happened to that guy but I do know he was still walking with a cane two years after that night.....
. Which guy had the cane afterward? Hard to tell from the end of your story, sorry.

Kenny

Now, as the guy who has been handcuffed at the Sonoyta crossing 3 times in 3 years, I guess I shouldn't question their willingness to escalate the force factor.
OK, now I'm impressed! Big fish are not all that uncommon, but that right there is still a work in progress, and working toward your goals is a admirable trait. I'll go fishing with you anytime, but were crossing in separate vehicles, OK?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
as of lately I have noticed a few things that they (custom agents) are doing that seem questionable, however as I have to see them often I just go with the flow and DO NOT bring up anything that they are doing that seems weird!!
How was your fishing trip Stuart?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
OK, now I'm impressed! Big fish are not all that uncommon, but that right there is still a work in progress, and working toward your goals is a admirable trait. I'll go fishing with you anytime, but were crossing in separate vehicles, OK?
Probably a prudent precaution on your part... :)

Just remember, the system is set up so the odds will always be stacked against the individual (in fact, the odds virtually guarantee that the individual will lose every time), so the trick, like Inka suggests, is to simply "go with the flow", and to know the collective rights of the group, because your individual rights can always be wittled down to a "who lives and who dies" scenario....

So I guess for me, 20 minutes in handcuffs is a lot less inconvenient than choosing to risk dying for Liberty (I can't believe I said that- I guess I'm no Patrick Henry after all)...

I crossed this afternoon, and picked the lane that is only for the passport cards (I only have a passport book).....the overhead sign on the lane was not visible since I was behind 2 of the trucks that were bringing the gear back from the lallapalooza concert....and the small sign was on the ground in front...again not visible until it was too late....I was apologetic to the agent with an explanation, since I had no desire for a secondary....and had no problems....not even a "scolding".....hey, sometimes I'll even kiss a$$.....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
as of lately I have noticed a few things that they (custom agents) are doing that seem questionable, however as I have to see them often I just go with the flow and DO NOT bring up anything that they are doing that seems weird!!
How was your fishing trip Stuart?
Awesome! See the fishing forum.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

The reason I ask is that a non-criminal "custodial investigation" requires your consent.

If they ask (or tell) you to leave your vehicle and surrender your possessions to them, you can legally refuse, and force them to place you under arrest...

In fact- because I have been handcuffed and detained so often, I have been researching the law, and I think I am pretty close to understanding the real boundries of their legal authority- and it all relies on your consent.

You are not a suspect until your Miranda rights are read to you- until that point, you are a "person of interest" that the Patriot Act permits them to detain, but ONLY with your consent. Your consent to their requests initiates a contract between you and the State.

I have been cuffed because I consented and allowed them to cuff me- I've never been read my rights.

If you do not consent, then they must arrest you and read you your rights, which opens them to possible legal consequence (but good luck finding a federal circuit Judge who will not pervert the law in order to favor the State- your case would have to go to the Supreme Court).

In fact, the lawyer I have worked with on this research has suggested that I can flash my passport to them, and before they say a word (it's crucial that you speak first) I can ask "Am I under arrest?", and if they say "No" then I can state "Then I am free to go." and they have no legal grounds to detain me. They can say "Well, we'd like you to stay while we check some stuff" at which point I can politely ask again "Am I under arrest?" and if they answer "yes" the 2nd time, then they would have to demonstrate to a judge the criminal evidence that changed their viewpoint and elevated me from "person of interest" to "criminal suspect" during that brief 5 second period...

In short- you are forcing THEM to produce state's evidence before they have found it, so if they chose to arrest and detain you, they would need to:

1) find contraband in your vehicle, or

2) plant contraband in your vehicle, or

3) Open the door to a false arrest civil complaint by you (which again, would probably have to go to the Supreme Court since every federal circuit Judge would probably summarily rule for the defendent in order to maintain the Patriot Act's legal smokescreen)

It's very fascinating- Ever since the 14th amendment, All federal legal authority within the borders of the US has been endowed by contract law based on the UCC, except within the court room, inside which Admiralty law reigns with the Judge as the master of his vessel (which is why every court room has a "name" affixed to the placard outside the door- the court room is effectively classified as a ship at sea.
I am very fascinated with knowing my rights and I feel at least inside AZ and the city of Phoenix I know all of my rights and what the police can and cannot do. I have actually been asked to step out of the vehicle before and the cops wanted to search my person and vehicle. I let them search my person but not the vehicle. Well lets just say they were less than happy about this and tried to pull the ~~~ Dale Earnhardt~~~~ on me, "intimidate" and I refused as was in my constitutional right to do so. Well...20 minutes of them trying to Dale me up and there was nothing they could do. All 4 phoenix police officers had steam coming out of their ears but legally and ````THEY KNEW IT```` couldnt do anything. In fact, one of them actually violated my rights and opened my passenger door to ~~~~~~~~~~TAKE A CLOSER LOOK~~~~~~~~ which is a BIG `````NO NO```` and I called them out on it. They are only allowed to look, ````NOT TOUCH``` anything....after I called them out on it they looked extremely surprised. Still tried to `````DALE``` me one last time cause they couldnt do anything legally and then finally, ~~~~BOOM~~~~ had to let me go. Have a good night officers, culeros!

In saying all of this, I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about my rights near the border. Those guys scare me and from everything Ive heard and read it seems like they have the right to do whatever they'd like. My question to ~~~~007~~~~ `````ROGER```` Moore is, does the Border Patrol and or Customs have the right to a search of the vehicle ~~~~WITHOUT~~~ consent INSIDE AZ? I know they can search a vehicle without consent ENTERING into the USA from MEXICO but can they search without consent inside AZ either going North or South?

JimMcG

The ACLU says a "Constitution-free zone" exists within 100 miles of the US border, where DHS claims the authority to stop, search and detain anyone for any reason. Nearly two-thirds of the US population lives within 100 miles of the border, according to the ACLU, and the border zone encompasses scores of major metropolitan areas and even entire states.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
then finally, ~~~~BOOM~~~~ had to let me go. Have a good night officers, culeros!
Exactly right- they either have to let you go, or arrest you. The thing to keep in mind, however, is that your refusal to consent to a search can be presented to a Judge as probable cause for your arrest, which basically exonerates them from facing a false arrest charge if they do take you into custody and still find no criminal evidence on you or in your car, so in circumstances like Joe's where they get all pissed off, then finally let you go, count your blessings and consider yourself lucky- because this is still a situation that can go either way. If they choose to arrest you, they have 72 hours available to hold you before charges must be filed (during which time a corrupt cop could "find" all kinds of contraband in your vehicle. Plus, and within that same 72 hours, they could also very easily put you before a Judge and he (or she) can wave their hand and rule you in contempt of court, and suddenly, you are incarcerated for as long as the court deems appropriate without a criminal charge ever being filed... You can be held in contempt of court for DECADES if the Judge decides not to clear the contempt charge. This is essentially how they kept Martin Armstrong in jail for SEVEN YEARS without a criminal charge, prosecution, or sentence ever being levied against him (paste "Martin A. Armstrong" into Google to read his story- it is both fascinating, and terrifying)

Bottom line, if the system wants you in jail, and enough members of the system corraborate with each other, then you could disappear from society for a long time over what started out as a very simple traffic stop.

I'm not saying anything like this is LIKELY to happen you; I am only saying it is POSSIBLE.

Knowing your rights is only half the battle- you also have to know what the law entitles them to do if you are uncooperative, and it can get pretty scary.

In saying all of this, I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about my rights near the border. Those guys scare me and from everything Ive heard and read it seems like they have the right to do whatever they'd like. My question to ~~~~007~~~~ `````ROGER```` Moore is, does the Border Patrol and or Customs have the right to a search of the vehicle ~~~~WITHOUT~~~ consent INSIDE AZ? I know they can search a vehicle without consent ENTERING into the USA from MEXICO but can they search without consent inside AZ either going North or South?
This is what the FAQ on borderpatrol.com says about that:

"When a Border Patrol Agent has "reasonable suspicion" that you are an illegal alien or that you were or are engaged in "criminal activity" then he can "stop" you. This "detention" can last for a reasonable time while the Border Patrol Agent conducts a lawful "investigative activity" to quickly confirm or dispel their suspicion."

So, the short answer to your question is No, they can not search you, or your property, on US soil without your consent unless you are a criminal suspect under arrest. Your rights are the exact same as they are within Phoenix or Tucson.

However, with one phone call to Mexican immigration (which they certainly have on speed dial), they can certainly make sure you are stopped again and checked 200 feet later on the other side of the fence (and under the shield of a far more oppressive legal umbrella to boot). :(

Of course, you are a free person because you have the power of choice as to which side of the border you choose to be searched on, right? :)

Here is more on what constitutes "lawful "investigative activity" as defined in the clause above (also copy/pasted from borderpatrol.com):

"The Border Patrol Agent will engage you in "consensual conversation". "Consensual conversation" is not interrogation. Consensual conversation is ... conversation. "Good morning, how are you, that's a nice gun you have in your pocket", are all simply one side of a consensual conversation, but in polite society they do require that you make some verbal response. While the Agent is having this consensual conversation with you you are -- essentially -- detained. You and your vehicle cannot leave. It is very important that you do not attempt to leave. Leaving the Agent without his permission will almost certainly be met with what is called in the vernacular of the profession a "Dynamic Apprehension". Civilians might call it ….. a chase and a tackle. "

It all still relies on consensual interaction between the individual (you) and the agent of the State.​

(notice the word State with the Capital "S"- there is a HUGE legal difference between a state (defined as a particular condition that exists at a specific moment in time) and a State (which is essentially a corporation that wants to separate you from your individuality as a person and classify you as a "citizen" aka "subject" aka "peon" aka "serf".

From this point on, Alice's "rabbit hole" drifts into how and why US citizens have not been classified as "free and sovereign individuals" ever since Congress passed the 14th Amendment, which established the USA as a Corporation, and legally defined the "US Citizen" as subjects protected by a common Sovereign based in the newly formed "District of Columbia". The 14th basically converted slave owners into "serfs" rather than converting slaves into "free people".

I realize I'm probably drifting into what most people think is crazy conspiracy theory at this point, so I think rather than writing anything else, I will end here, and encourage everyone to do their own research and formulate their own opinions...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
The ACLU says a "Constitution-free zone" exists within 100 miles of the US border, where DHS claims the authority to stop, search and detain anyone for any reason. Nearly two-thirds of the US population lives within 100 miles of the border, according to the ACLU, and the border zone encompasses scores of major metropolitan areas and even entire states.

Also exactly right- but a "Constitution Free Zone" does not mean that Federal law does not apply- what it basically means is that citizens (subjects, peons, serfs) allegiant to ANY foreign sovereign (Legal Government Corporation) are subject to the legal oversight of the OTHER sovereign legal government corporation within this zone- this is the legal loophole that allows Federal (corporate) agents to detain/imprison "illegal" immigrants without allowing them to declare/prove their foreign citizenship and demand repatriation within the nearest embassy of their "home" country.

Just imagine how busy Mexican embassy offices would be if every citizen of Mexico who was "detained" within US borders were actually allowed their right of voluntary repatriation without facing US criminal charges... ?

Like I said- it's Alice in Wonderland. Once you start down the rabbit hole, it's a LONG way to the bottom. I hope you enjoy reading. :)

EDIT: I also ENCOURAGE everyone NOT to take my word for it- please do your own due diligence, and if you find ANYTHING that refutes, or challenges the accuracy of anything I've written here, PLEASE share it with me, and everyone else. I share what I learn freely, and I am a very open minded person who LIKES to be corrected when his knowledge is found to be in error. That's how learning happens, and I love learning...

Roberto

As I understand it that zone is also defined as extending 100 miles around all Ports of Entry, which means all international airports . I read a higher percentage of people living in this zone as well, 90% or so. Yes detain you without customary legal cause. I read there is some evidence that the FBI has been asking DHS for favors, detaining people and evesdropping when the FBI cannot legally do what they ask the DHS to do. It's scary.