Fiesta cruiser shipwrecked, tourist dies

Betcha they'll fix it?
When the triple decker Carnival crashed into the shrimp boat last year, they fixed it, but it hasn't gone out since. It was also full of passengers, when it pulled into the marina, the captain couldn't get it out of forward gear and wrecked. There were a few hurt passenger's.
Hola Playa... they may be able to fix it... but they'll never be able to fix the reputation that scow has left in its wake...

Hola Tio Bill... yes the Carnival has gone out since it's run in with the shrimp boats... it just hasn't come back... as I recall the same guy that owns the Fiesta Loser was trying to make a go at it with the Carnival, supposedly they did a bunch of repairs and they took it to San Filipe... (not sure how that's working out)

Last edited:
Thanks SO MUCH for this clear and concise summary of the events. It is so frustrating to just hear rumors and conjecture. Just glad everyone was able to get in safely and there were no serious injuries, except for your friend's heart attack. So sorry for your loss.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Hola Playa... they may be able to fix it... but they'll never be able to fix the reputation that scow has left in its wake...

Hola Tio Bill... yes the Carnival has gone out since it's run in with the shrimp boats... it just hasn't come back... as I recall the same guy that owns the Fiesta Loser was trying to make a go at it with the Carnival, supposedly they did a bunch of repairs and they took it to San Filipe... (not sure how that's working out)
The Fiesta Loser, has twin engines in it, but I heard a couple years ago, that one went out and was never fixed, if they had fixed the other engine, they would have been able to steer the boat, just like it had steering with a rudder. The big boats inside the harbor always steer with they're engines (its almost impossible to dock them with the steering wheel), but it takes two, otherwise you run in a circle.I was in San Felipe last week, sorry I missed the Carnival Tour.

I believe that if you look toward the "dry storage"/work area in the marina, you will see that the Carnival is still there, and has not gone to San Felipe.

R

reportjones

I was sitting on the beach today in front of my Sonoran condo and I saw a huge Carnival cruise ship docked in front of the Las Polamas condo (uncompleted and a real mess) project. Lots of asian people were disembarking to purchase unbuilt condos. Maybe Las Polamas will start building again. Love the white socks and open toe sandal look. Asian people are sure short. Lots of cameras around their necks.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I was sitting on the beach today in front of my Sonoran condo and I saw a huge Carnival cruise ship docked in front of the Las Polamas condo (uncompleted and a real mess) project. Lots of asian people were disembarking to purchase unbuilt condos. Maybe Las Polamas will start building again. Love the white socks and open toe sandal look. Asian people are sure short. Lots of cameras around their necks.

Ahh yes- a gaze into the crystal ball. It will be interesting to see if it comes to pass-

We were in Vallarta this past month staying just east of the old Marina, and every time a cruise ship docked and the wave of straw hats and Donna Karan sunglasses came rolling up the beach I had to chuckle as I watched the white suited locals all spring into action.

According to "inside" information, the Capitan was jailed (& also the owner, a gringo, by the way. Not trying to sound/be racist, just noting that it isn't just the "locals" that disregard safety.)
Apparently the usual Capitan never made it in that afternoon, and he decided to take it upon himself to take the boat out.
He was lucky no more people died, and deserves to be punished for his greed.

According to "inside" information, the Capitan was jailed (& also the owner, a gringo, by the way. Not trying to sound/be racist, just noting that it isn't just the "locals" that disregard safety.) Apparently the usual Capitan never made it in that afternoon, and he decided to take it upon himself to take the boat out. He was lucky no more people died, and deserves to be punished for his greed.
Was the port shut down while the boat was stuck on that initial sandbar? The passenger's account earlier stated that it was sitting there for up to an hour. Damn shame everyone wasn't let out at that point.

Glad I never went on the Fiesta Cruiser...sounds like I would have been putting my life in danger with these fools.

On there on website they talk about " highest standards of safety" with "Our flotation devices include a life boat, 4 life floats supporting 22 persons each and 400 life vests"

But earlier in that same page they state "The boat accommodates comfortably 450 people. We have had 609 people including 17 crew on board for one function". Sounds like the Titanic type situation with not enough lifeboats or even life preservers to go around

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Dick, my condolences to you and those close to your friend.
am sure they are going to start checking this cruise ships more often, at least they should!!

Glad I never went on the Fiesta Cruiser...sounds like I would have been putting my life in danger with these fools.

On there on website they talk about " highest standards of safety" with "Our flotation devices include a life boat, 4 life floats supporting 22 persons each and 400 life vests"

But earlier in that same page they state "The boat accommodates comfortably 450 people. We have had 609 people including 17 crew on board for one function". Sounds like the Titanic type situation with not enough lifeboats or even life preservers to go around
In a sad bit of irony, toward the bottom of the main website at http://fiestacruiser.com/ there is big red section advertising an insurance company for visitors to Penasco--more general in natural, not specifically for their cruises--stating "The Emergency Services Response Team is at your service." It goes on to mention "We have set up this response team to assist tourists with life threatening or freedom restricting problems. Knowing what Doctor is qualified in the area of expertise needed. Making sure there is no red tape that will hinder fast results. In legal maters the red tape literally compounds by the minute."

The link brings you to this: http://fiestacruiser.com/FC_SPA/emergency_services_response_team.htm

R

reportjones

Watch this site it has a trojan....
Not to worry! I have had a trojan in my wallet for the past 11 years and it didn't break when I finally got to use it this morning. Yes, it was with some Asian that had just got off the Carnival cruise ship and was touring Las Polamas for an unbuilt condo!

How about some time off to help those Asian tourists? Keep it up and you'll get an extended vacation from here to do so.