Fishing report Feb 7th.

YumaJames

Well Known Member
IMG_2403.JPG IMG_2407.JPG IMG_0048.JPG IMG_2416.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_2406.jpg Went out to 50 areas Friday Feb 6th with a few buddies. Incredible weather, absolutely perfect all day. Lots of white sea bass, grouper (nothing big), calico, rabbit fish, sheep head. Awesome day!

Fuel in Rocky Point twice the price of Arizona or San Luis, Mexico.
Only seen about 3 whales, seen a few dolphins.
Repaving the roads around Safe Harbor, pretty rough getting in/out around there now, should be done shortly.
Great covered boat storage available at Whale Hill, $120/month, includes electricity and water.
If crossing the border at San Luis with your boat they're asking for TIPS permits consistently now, can get em when you cross ($75 for 10 years).

Last edited:

audsley

Well Known Member
Those are some nice fish. Question: How deep do you need to get for white sea bass? Are they shallower in winter?

YumaJames

Well Known Member
The white sea bass were in the deepest waters 50 miles out, in a 400 foot hole. GPS coordinates for the hole are N 30 36 584 W 113 54 270. There, gave my secret away, who cares (Now that I gave my secret away does anyone want to share the coordinates for Witch's Hat?). Used plain circle hooks baited with squid or slices of smaller fish attached to a 2 lb weight. Once you hit the hole there's no way you couldn't catch em. The day before a boat came in sincerely with about 100 of them all in the 15-20 lb range.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
The white sea bass were in the deepest waters 50 miles out, in a 400 foot hole. GPS coordinates for the hole are N 30 36 584 W 113 54 270. There, gave my secret away, who cares (Now that I gave my secret away does anyone want to share the coordinates for Witch's Hat?). Used plain circle hooks baited with squid or slices of smaller fish attached to a 2 lb weight. Once you hit the hole there's no way you couldn't catch em. The day before a boat came in sincerely with about 100 of them all in the 15-20 lb range.
Gracias for the GPS coordinates James, Fisher guys on here don't like to give them out. I will write these down, I love white sea bass & dorado, fresh never frozen unless froze by me.

dmcauley

Well Known Member
Your spot is not much of a secret N 30 51.017 W 113 59.175 will get you to the WH. When you get to the reef spend some time scouting and u will find lots of rocks as with any other reef, keep on looking for more.
We also did well on my boat, La Josefina, this weekend on the deeper reefs

YumaJames

Well Known Member
DM, I was being sarcastic when I stated that spot was a secret, cause as you know nothing 50 miles out is a secret anymore. Was helping em out by giving em coordinates to get em in the area. Thanks for the WH coordinates, and am glad the La Josefina did well.

Last edited:

Kelney

Well Known Member
That is some nice looking flat water. I don't seem to see it that often. By the way nice fish too!

Not to get off topic but does anyone have a link to a decent tide calendar? One that actually visually shows the peaks and valleys and time vs one that shows just the numbers. I am a visual kind of guy I guess.

SunDevil

Well Known Member
looks like a great day! Sail Flow was right on for Friday being calm and flat. 2 lb sinkers? that is a lot of lead. reminds me of what we used in AK fishing for halibut.

are sheep heads good to eat?

thanks for sharing the report and pictures.

YumaJames

Well Known Member
Ate a sheep head fish last night, first time I tried one, was great. Although it was calm there was a strong current and we were fishing in 400 ft so 2 lbs seemed to work the best.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
We saw about 10 huge fin whales about 10 miles out on Saturday. Beautiful weather and incredible animals.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Nice report! Thanks! On water like that, I can drop the hammer and be back in port in just a hair over an hour from the 51.

I was wondering on the gas prices, too. Although I hate towing with full tanks, the cost savings on a couple hundred gallons would likely be worth it.

JWT

User is currently banned
PPRES

OVERFISHING

Yuma James: if all the dead fish in the pics above are not from your efforts , let us know.

If the big haul of fish is from him: Yuma James appears to be an occasional tourist fisher, very good at landing copious numbers of fish when he visits PP. It seems he knows Mexico is a foreign tourist spot that has fish limit laws that are not enforced, so the urge to take advantage and overfish/plunder in our waters was apparently insurmountable. We expect he cares little about the welfare of the fishing industry in Rocky Point for so long as he can keep this up. When the fish run out we will hear him blaming Mexicans for overfishing !

We hoped someone posting here would have suggested to him "catch and release, conservation, catch enough for dinner" etc. Unless he's feeding fish to the poor folks here in Penasco, all the meat he killed will get freezer burned before it is ever eaten.

Hopefully the CEDO/Marina folks will start enforcing the limit laws. One boat, Mexican or Gringo, confiscated and forfeited, might solve this problem.

JWT

User is currently banned
PPRES

For the first couple strikes for a great meal with friends, no. But when you know every catch after that will kill another, YES. Go to shallower water so your kill does not rupture its bladder and die. We find that once you have dinner in the box, catch and release sport fishing makes for better memories and a clearer conscience.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
There she, it or whatever JWT is with that "we" crap again.
Still waiting for the people you speak for to grow a pair and speak for themselves.
A lot of people that fish down there fish for several months worth of flesh and properly frozen have 6-9 months of shelf life.
No one else here with much more experience and clout than your own have said a word about any abuse of "our" waters as you refer to them nor any comment of bag limits.
Crawl back in your hole and wait to reply to something you actually know about, maybe gate codes or something.