Highway from Sonoita Flooded

An email I recieved this AM

we arrived at 4:00 and gave up and went back to Phx around 730 because it was a cluster _____ with everyone trying to cross the arroyo and no semblance of order and a rainstorm on its way. I called D and D and gave them a warning and they decided to try to come on Saturday. I met D and D at the Why gas station this morning at 7:30 and we arrived with no hassle and/or traffic around 9:00 AM to the Casa in Playa Encanto.
This email is confusing, did they give up yesterday and make it through today without issue? When they mention 4:00 is that AM or PM?

GV Jack

Snorin God
6:15 PM Saturday..

Radar showed a fairly good sized storm either in or near Sonoita.

Hope it was near, not in. A closer zoom in looks like it was just east of it.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
If you come to the area where the water is running strong, stay put for about an hour or less and the water will receed quick as the short cut bridge is still in a high point of the wash, go to El Sarape for a couple of tacos if you are in that side or go to the lady next to Vasquez for tacos if you are in the other side, either way do not panic just wait, however if you are in a rush to get to the airport just make sure that next time you leave with at least a couple of hours of play time!!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Dont Just Drive Thru, Vacation There as Eric Did

Sonoyta, Sonora, Mexico, is a little-known, and little-visited town, located a couple of miles south of the Arizona border, near the border crossing at Lukeville, Arizona. Many Norteamericans, especially those who reside in Arizona, pass through Sonoyta on the way to the resort town of Puerto Peñasco, which is located about an hour's drive south of Sonoyta, on the beautiful Sea of Cortéz. However, for some strange reasons, few Americans choose to stop in Sonoyta, and even fewer choose to stay overnight to explore this fascinating town, and meet the wonderful people who call Sonoyta home.

Left: That white line in the center of the photo is Sonoyta, in the distance. Note the picturesque mountains in the background of the photo. Right: Sonoyta is a long ways from just about anywhere!
Sonoyta is not a border town, although it is very close to the international border, and a northern neighborhood, separated from the majority of the town by a range of hills, actually straddles the border. The central portion of the town, which is located at the busy intersection of Federal Highways 8 and 2, is truly Mexican, and if you were instantly transported to the central part of town, you'd never guess that you were only a couple miles south of the border, as you'll note the usual taco stands, taquerias and traffic circles, but you'll note the lack of a red light district, honkey tonks, strip joints, Zona Rojo, street girls, or hookers. Sonoya is a small, family-oriented Mexican town, and its refreshing to visit a town, located so close to the U.S. border, so far away, and so truly Mexican.

Left: The sign erected over Federal Highway 2 welcomes the visitor to Sonoyta. Right: Sonoyta, with Punto Sonoyta in the foreground.
A sign located on the south end of town advertises the population of Sonoyta is 17, 479 friendly residents, which seems pretty accurate, according to my observations. The town is basically divided into two parts, north and south, and the dividing line is Federal Highway 8, the main road to Puerto Peñasco, which bisects the town near the center. As I was staying in the Excelsior Motel, just north of Highway 8, I had ample opportunity to explore the northern section of town; unfortunately I had little opportunity to explore south of Highway 8.

Left: Looking east into Sonoyta along highway 2, at the extreme west side of town. Right: The busy intersextion of Federal Highways 2 and 8, with desert hills in the background.
Sonoyta sits in a small valley, surrounded by the arid, cactus-dotted hills of northern Sonora. I had the opportunity to approach Sonoyta from the west, as I dove from Mexicali, then drive south along Highway 8 to Puerto Peñasco, then approach the town from the east, along Federal Highway 2. Alas, when it was time for me to leave the town, I had the opportunity to cross into the U.S. using Mexico Federal Highway 8, also known as Boulevard de las Americas.

Left: Another view of the intersection of Highways 2 and 8, which is the focal point of town. Right: Looking along Highway 2, near sunset. Note the sign that points to the USA.
Most Norteamericano visitors tend to pass through Sonoyta without stopping, on their way to the seaside resort town of Puerto Peñasco, about an hour south. Sonoyta is truly a beautiful, friendly town, that offers a view of small-town Mexico, just a couple miles south of the international border, where you can meet and mingle with friendly people, and walk the safe, friendly streets. Oh yes, Sonoyta offers fine street food cuisine, especially tacos and Sonoran-style hot dogs; check out my dining experiences during my visit to Sonoyta.

Left: Excelsior Motel, located on Highway 2, a.k.a. Bvd. F.C.O. Eusebio Kino, just west of the Highway 8 intersection. Excelsior Motel features a fine, clean pool.
Don't just pass through Sonoyta, stop by and get to know the friendly folks who inhabit this lovely Mexican town.

[HR][/HR]
Copyright(c) 2007 Eric's Enterprises, Etc. All rights reserved. This site has been on the web since January 19, 2005.Web page design has been created by Eric's Enterprises, Etc., website design, and more...

Kenny

Great pictures and story.

It's certainly not your typical "border town", most of this (below) is what I always stress when telling my friends about Sonoyta.

but you'll note the lack of a red light district, honkey tonks, strip joints, Zona Rojo, street girls, or hookers. Sonoya is a small, family-oriented Mexican town, and its refreshing to visit a town, located so close to the U.S. border, so far away, and so truly Mexican.

El Gato

Great pictures and story.

It's certainly not your typical "border town", most of this (below) is what I always stress when telling my friends about Sonoyta.
Sonoyta is probably different due to the fact that there is no USA town on the other side to draw from. USA people are mostly passing through - not popping over for a casual dinner, shopping, etc. Makes Sonoyta rather unique. As you said, more a family town then a tourist trap.

MIRAMAR

I was told there were several flowing washes between Tucson and Sells ( and this was before our big storm this afternoon). My advice is to travel early in the morning.

Except for the friendly Policia with the radar guns at the 80 transition to 40KM sign coming into town from Penasco.
Just hate that when it happens to me.I do like the low key atmosphere of Sonyota when I stop to get tacos and visit Vasquez's again and again.

MIRAMAR

[h=2]Google Translate

Road traffic restored Santa Ana - Sonoyta
[/h]SUNDAY, JULY 15, 2012 16:30 EDIT SONORA

User Rating:
/ 0
Bad Good
River flood Sonoyta.foto demonstrative. Courtesy Stephen Homes
SCT Center Sonora reported that total circulation is restored Federal Highway No. 2, Lauro Villar - Tijuana, after being closed on Saturday night due to increased water level in a ford at Km 253 + 500 sub-section Santa Ana - Sonoyta.​
The road was closed for 6 hours, from 21:30 to 3:30 Saturday hours on Sunday, during which the SCT staff dredging work performed in that ford of the road. During this time the Federal Police was supporting and guiding road users, as well as suggested alternate route is to take the coastal road, Sonoyta - Puerto Penasco - Golfo de Santa Clara-San Luis Rio Colorado and vice versa. The federal agency said it will keep alert to any issues that may affect traffic on the roads Sonora, and also urges users to exercise extreme caution and respect road signs.​

Rocky Point Rides

While waiting for the water to recede in the AZ side wash, I had the chance to talk to a lady from Sonoyta, she explained to me that this rains are the strongest they had in 10 years, nobody was waiting for this to happen therefore the widening of the bridge taking place as this is the slowest season for commercial transportation.

We had to wait 2 hours in the Organ Pipe Park for the waters to recede to go thru, 3 washes total about 4 to 5 miles south of WHY, however the rest of the way thru the TON reservation was clear with dry washes.

Follow this link to see some of the pics we took https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.447699635260895.100556.100000625884060&type=3

I tried to upload the pictures but is not happening, just one

GV Jack

Snorin God
Pics didn't come up on facebook. Said it was inavailable or something like that.

How was the return?

Rocky Point Rides

We left RP at 2 pm arrived in Tucson at 8:30pm, the only delay we had was , they at the Organ Pipe Park, they say the rest of the week might be the same, I'll see as I have to go back either today or tomorrow morning early.

Please update this. Had a friend leave rp this morning and was stuck in Sonoyta for 2 hours to get through detour. He had come through yesterday only to turn around when told of the delay in Organ Pipe. We are coming down Thursday evening and hope everything is dried out by then.

While waiting for the water to recede in the AZ side wash, I had the chance to talk to a lady from Sonoyta, she explained to me that this rains are the strongest they had in 10 years, nobody was waiting for this to happen therefore the widening of the bridge taking place as this is the slowest season for commercial transportation.

We had to wait 2 hours in the Organ Pipe Park for the waters to recede to go thru, 3 washes total about 4 to 5 miles south of WHY, however the rest of the way thru the TON reservation was clear with dry washes.

Follow this link to see some of the pics we took https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.447699635260895.100556.100000625884060&type=3

I tried to upload the pictures but is not happening, just one

That hardly looks crossable. How long do you have to wait for the water level to go down? When it is lower how long does it stay that way? I'm driving down Wednesday morning and these pictures suggest that I need 4wd.

Rocky Point Rides

That hardly looks crossable. How long do you have to wait for the water level to go down? When it is lower how long does it stay that way? I'm driving down Wednesday morning and these pictures suggest that I need 4wd.
Actually since that pass is the only around for kilometers, it bottle necks there but it does move, it took us about 3 to 4 minutes to go thru the wash in Sonoyta, it seems high however it was only about 4 to 5 inches of water, the washes in the park were a lot worst.

The river batamonte was rouning quite full yesterday, took pictures but forgot the cable again, is the one by the entrance of the Pinacate Volcanic area at the Curva Peligrosa area.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The river batamonte was running quite full yesterday, took pictures but forgot the cable again, is the one by the entrance of the Pinacate Volcanic area at the Curva Peligrosa area.
It was running Sunday morning when we headed back up. I was quite surprised, actually. I think it is the first time in all these years I've ever seen it flowing like a real river with water in it. I'm assuming it runs out to sea (somewhere?). Anybody know where? It was some dirty, muddy water!

MIRAMAR

Stuart, is it the Sonoyta River you're talking about? If you drive on the Caborca highway, past the "Y" (about 6 miles east of town) you hit some dips and the 3rd one is mostly the river as it empties into the high point of the La Pinta estuary. We cross the river 4 times to get to our house in Miramar: once just east of Why, in Sonoyta, at the peligrosa curve by Pinacate, and then again on the Caborca highway.

Those won't work when you cross the border, since the bridge you cross when you get down the hill and try to go left is gone (being rebuilt). There is a bypass/detour.....you make a right at the bottom of the hill at the Pemex instead, then the first left...that is the crossing that has had problems with the flooding this past week.....