Highway from Sonoita Flooded

I'll be crossing the border tomorrow (Wednesday) morning around 9am, how was the detour doing today? Doesn't look like much rain will hit tonight, but I know parts of the border and over closer to Nogales got hammered. We figured by morning, even if it rained tonight (Tuesday), most places would be dry by morning. Are there still major delays near Organ Pipe?

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
The washes are all open and cleared in Organ Pipe Park, no water as of yesterday at 4pm, the wash in Sonoyta was running still but passable maybe 5 inches of water, looks like a 2 feet on the pictures but is not.

A local told me yesterday that the "Sells" flood gates are going to be open and it will get worst, however before I was going to ask what he meant he was gone, I have never heard of a lake or pond call Sells in Sonoyta or surroundings, has anybody?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Stuart, is it the Sonoyta River you're talking about? If you drive on the Caborca highway, past the "Y" (about 6 miles east of town) you hit some dips and the 3rd one is mostly the river as it empties into the high point of the La Pinta estuary. We cross the river 4 times to get to our house in Miramar: once just east of Why, in Sonoyta, at the peligrosa curve by Pinacate, and then again on the Caborca highway.
It may well be the same river. I was talking about the peligrosa curve at Pincante. I didn't realize they were one and the same rivers because of the distance. Figured it was run-off from Pincante. The more you know... :idea:

AzJay

Any news from this morn? Looked like possible rain and more for the weekend. We're new to all this, can't afford to be stuck into Mon. if the river crossing is closed.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Any news from this morn? Looked like possible rain and more for the weekend. We're new to all this, can't afford to be stuck into Mon. if the river crossing is closed.
Not trying to be a smart ass, Jay... but, youse pays your money and youse takes your chances at this time of the year! :puff:

Really hard to know how much rain might fall this weekend, but as you know, storms are predicted for Saturday. Sonoita has been getting drenched this year and with the bridge construction? It's a real roll of the dice!

My only advice would be leave early on Sunday morning to beat the storm build-up. We left by 9:00 and were in Gila Bend by 11:00 with no issues. My buddy didn't leave until after noon and was just outside Ajo when I talked to him at 7:00 pm.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
They are calling for rains for Friday night into Saturday and Sunday thanks to Fabio and then clearing Monday, for Tucson, however today's rains that are along the border are moving on Sells/Sonoyta's direction, it is NOT a dry heat lately!!!

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
10:00 this morning, single lane so each direction was taking turns under police direction. Backhoe working to remove the downstream side of the low-water crossing surface, presumably to replace the concrete. 15 minute wait southbound, but northbound backup looked a little worse.

here's my report. arrived in sonoyta last saturday (7/14) around 2 p.m. no control of traffic, people cutting in left and right. water was very high. waited 2 hours and didn't move. at 4 p.m. we gave up, with water getting higher, 100 cars ahead of us, and not moving. we turned aruond and headed to yuma. spent night at microtel. next a.m. skirted yuma on new road, crossed with no wait at san luis, and took the new autopista down to 3 and near Golfo Santa Clara. Microtel on east side of Yuma to PP that way was 3.5 hours. Crossed back on Tuesday 17th in Sonoyta. only had a 20 minute wait as we somehow ended up in the semi line and they let us go. but, bridge had a TON of water and cars were flooding (we have an suv and water came up 1/2way up door). made it across but wouldn't risk it again. guess we'll wait till the big bridge is fixed to head back down. :(

GV Jack

Snorin God
Looks like storms/rain going through Lukeville and Sonoyta right now at 7:00PM..

Hope the radar is wrong.

MIRAMAR

Yes there was rain-just crossed the Sonoyta bridge detour. Caborca highway was flooded at Km 18-2nd and 4th dip and the rains hadn't started there yet. Be careful.

Last edited:

coxxy

Anyone know approximately how long it is taking to cross, heading out tomorrow AM and don't know that to expect.

Last edited:

Roberto

3:00 PM, Sat. 21st. I just spoke to a gent who came down from Tucson. He reported it took one and one half hours to get through Sonoita. The delay was due to lots of traffic coming through on Rt 3 and a stalled double romoloque, and little police direction. No water passing just lots of vehicles and a torn up road. Remember that is a higly used main route E-W and trucks are supposedly prohibited from the coastal highway I think.

There is no easy viable alternative route. There is a road through the Pinacate off Rt.3 but very rough and probably washed out in many places. If you are real daring you could take Gillespie's old road from Sonoita to Sierra la Pinta ! That's a real fun 4WD trip not to be attempted solo. Last time I was up there the military had set up a shooting range and would not let us through. Mexicali then coastal highway or Nogales through Caborca I guess but either route will probably take more than one and one half hours more. I think get there early is the best plan. I think the truckers avoid Rt. 3 at night as much as possible so truck traffic in from Mexicali will take some time to get to Sonoita and plug things up. They are working on improving the existing detour so hopefully things will get better soon.

jerry

Sasabe-Altar was good last month but the monsoon might be an issue...El Gilo is dead they say so Tubutama may be back in play...i don't believe I'd take the Sasabe Tubutama one yet. Maybe Rplarry can test it out!

3:00 PM, Sat. 21st. I just spoke to a gent who came down from Tucson. He reported it took one and one half hours to get through Sonoita. The delay was due to lots of traffic coming through on Rt 3 and a stalled double romoloque, and little police direction. No water passing just lots of vehicles and a torn up road. Remember that is a higly used main route E-W and trucks are supposedly prohibited from the coastal highway I think.

There is no easy viable alternative route. There is a road through the Pinacate off Rt.3 but very rough and probably washed out in many places. If you are real daring you could take Gillespie's old road from Sonoita to Sierra la Pinta ! That's a real fun 4WD trip not to be attempted solo. Last time I was up there the military had set up a shooting range and would not let us through. Mexicali then coastal highway or Nogales through Caborca I guess but either route will probably take more than one and one half hours more. I think get there early is the best plan. I think the truckers avoid Rt. 3 at night as much as possible so truck traffic in from Mexicali will take some time to get to Sonoita and plug things up. They are working on improving the existing detour so hopefully things will get better soon.