Info on Texas gulf fishing

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
GFY!

ChollaBay4Life
Having a bad day, Joe? Don't make me tip yer kayak over! :D
Not EVERYTHING about fishing has to be about Rocky Point. I've fished several of the places these guys are talking about and you know what? YOU would love them! Some of the back flats and cuts are a kayaker's dream! Cranking on a nice redfish or gator trout (like our corvina; they call them sand trout in Texas) that just slammed a Cocahoe minnow... oh yeah!

No need to yell at Bill, either. His blood runs FISH!!!

imstillsouthtexasreds

Street Magician
"Speckled" trout. And, as inshore fishing goes, it doesn't get much better than sight casting at a 30" redfish in ankle deep water. When he turns around and sees that lure......

RoadKill

1 Iron
"Speckled" trout. And, as inshore fishing goes, it doesn't get much better than sight casting at a 30" redfish in ankle deep water. When he turns around and sees that lure......
Back in 2010 I had a project at DuPont there close to Gregory. I had an apartment in Portland, and spent just about every afternoon on the north side of the causeway sight casting reds from the bank. Bastards had a couple of inches of their backs out of the water running the bank hunting mullet. Badass when a fish hits your bait and kicks up mud on his first run.
That was my first experience sight casting reds.
I even got to meet ol Railbird while I was down. Never was able to hook up on a trip as I went home on weekends. That's one heck of a nice guy, too.

imstillsouthtexasreds

Street Magician
Back in 2010 I had a project at DuPont there close to Gregory. I had an apartment in Portland, and spent just about every afternoon on the north side of the causeway sight casting reds from the bank. Bastards had a couple of inches of their backs out of the water running the bank hunting mullet. Badass when a fish hits your bait and kicks up mud on his first run.
That was my first experience sight casting reds.
I even got to meet ol Railbird while I was down. Never was able to hook up on a trip as I went home on weekends. That's one heck of a nice guy, too.
There are back bays (think 5 acres) up near Rockport that are land locked on 3 sides with a narrow opening...there will be hundreds in there. You can catch them all day, just walking along and following the school. 4 of us caught and released 65 one afternoon (cystic fibrosis tourney) and we didn't come close to winning. Anytime you're headed this way, let me know. That goes for everyone here, even Mod Joe.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you come during dove season, you can cast and blast in that same back bay. Shoot the birds and leave them in the water, current will push them onto shore in an hour or so. Walk along the shoreline, pick them up. And lots of flounder in those areas also.

Bait

'Murica, bitches!
Pretty much all I do here. They stay schooled up in schools of 100-200 on the shoals and surf from now until they come back inshore in march. 7' with a mirrolure and hold on. Can throw underhand they are so close. 25-32" fish. Fish until your arms are tired whilst the porpoise wear them out.

jerry

There already is one, but this is a nice place too.
I have some nice Idaho trout fishing pictures from this summer but wouldn't put them on a Sea of Cortez fishing area....it would be ..well... Rick Perry stupid.
On the other hand posts on boats,gear etc. would be in the right place...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
To one and all -- Fishing is fishing. Be it here, be it there. I'd expect fellow fisherfolk to welcome an exchange of fish, tackle, ideas, how tos. Some of the techniques I use in Penasco for corvina I learned while fishing the flats for specks in Texas.

It's all good info; nobody is raining on your parade. Good grief. :shrug:

jerry

To one and all -- Fishing is fishing. Be it here, be it there. I'd expect fellow fisherfolk to welcome an exchange of fish, tackle, ideas, how tos. Some of the techniques I use in Penasco for corvina I learned while fishing the flats for specks in Texas.

It's all good info; nobody is raining on your parade. Good grief. :shrug:
Understand ,I guess the big picture evades me.It just seems strange to invite a group that pretty much hates mexicans to join a forum filled with people that love the Mexico people and own homes in Mexico.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Understand ,I guess the big picture evades me.It just seems strange to invite a group that pretty much hates mexicans to join a forum filled with people that love the Mexico people and own homes in Mexico.
They hate everybody, including themselves and each other. Maybe you hadn't noticed? :shrug:
The "Big Picture" is really pretty simple, Jerry. Nothing has changed up here in the Main forums. Several of them actually LIKE Mexico and many are fisherman that would like to know more about it, as well as other places to fish. I have yet to see any examples of the "deplorables" (if you will) disrupt, hate, or otherwise try to abuse anyone here in the main forums. If that happens, it's off to Banned Camp and they are well aware of that. However, I am surprised at the vitriol spit at the few that have posted perfectly innocent questions about fishing up here, regardless of where the fishing takes place. Tolerance is a two way street, no?

This forum neared death during 2016. You could go weeks and not see a new post -- on anything, fishing or otherwise. Many reasons for that, but the primary one being so many have migrated to usergroups on Facebook, where one can post selfies, what they are having for dinner, good news, bad news, argue, get recommendations -- all pretty much in real time. Hit counts here fell to pretty much nothing, like an end of August weekend in Penasco. Ugh!

I made a "joke" post in Rants in August. It was the 1st post in that forum in over 6 months. I offered Rants and Raves as a place for these folks, from several other boating/fishing forums, as a place where they can be idiots without heavy-handed censorship or constant smack in the face moderation over politics, race, religion, whatever. Rants has always been there; it's always been open to whatever the hell anybody wanted to say. And the basic policy around Rants has always been 'If you can't take the heat, don't jump in the fire.' Nothing new there. The only thing "new" is that some people are actually using that forum again.

If you are bothered by the nonsense that goes on there, please ignore it. It certainly is not seeking you out. :gofish"