Spanish Mackerrel
... I just went out and the sky is Blue,,

They say we will get the SOAK of the decade tonight,

Keep us posted,

ROCKY POINT NEEDS SOME GOOD RAIN!!!

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Rain brings in the flowers

You are kidding about RP, aren't you??? There were a couple big storms down there around Thanksgiving and during Dec....
Joe, don't be so gruff...

RP gets some rain but never enough. The cholla still seem thirsty.

It has been a long time since the orange flowers abounded chest high.

Such a pretty sight that makes RockyP seem so nice.

It makes everyone :p
[ happy ]

Joe, don't be so gruff...

RP gets some rain but never enough. The cholla still seem thirsty.

It has been a long time since the orange flowers abounded chest high.

Such a pretty sight that makes RockyP seem so nice.

It makes everyone :p
[ happy ]
Gruff???? You ain't seen gruff!!:roll:

You have to consider that Penasco is in the desert, regardless of the fact it's got the gulf...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Cabo has a great point. These winter rains will make one hell of a year for wildflower blooms in the spring! I love the spring time trips through the desert when everything is blooming - it's beautiful!

Cabo has a great point. These winter rains will make one hell of a year for wildflower blooms in the spring! I love the spring time trips through the desert when everything is blooming - it's beautiful!
it's comforting to know that all that beauty will come from this nasty weather... my amigo Rick is down in old port and says the waves are at least 8 to 10 foot at the Vina del Mar, right now at 10:30 am...

mel150

Hey, Stuart, when's the best time for seeing the desert in bloom? It's a sight I'd love to see this year!

Kenny

These winter rains will make one hell of a year for wildflower blooms in the spring! I love the spring time trips through the desert when everything is blooming - it's beautiful!
It's like magic, and if anyone says there are no miracles nowadays, show them the Sonora desert in bloom. One very special place for me to see it is around the Superstitious mountains. It's a time of renewal, and rebirth.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Generally mid-March through mid-May. April is best. Different plants bloom at different times, but during April, there's usually a really good show alongside the road of yellow, purple, orange, white and red as you drive through Organ Pipe National Monument and along the road from Sonoyta to Penasco.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
my amigo Rick is down in old port and says the waves are at least 8 to 10 foot at the Vina del Mar, right now at 10:30 am...
Wait til later today! Buoy is showing Red Flag gale force winds. Not a day to be on the water! Surprisingly, Saturday's not looking that bad at the moment. Hmmmm....

View attachment 800

InkaRoads

cronopiador
if you really want to see colors then you need to take the scenic route between Tucson and PP, basically all the way you will find all sorts of colors and that mixed with the awesome view of the mountains and just the country sight in general, beautiful desert area.
Take route 86 (Ajo Way in Tucson) all the way to Why (wjere it dead ends anyway), then you turn south (that is left) on route 85 to Lukeville, it is really impresive!!
OK, OK RPjoe I will not do another plug but.....ok

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
OH, I forgot to mention that last Monday it started to rain at around 9 pm very hard until about 2 or 3 am and the winds were almost cyclonic!! it rain harder than Thanksgiving!!

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
~ Like magic carpet ride ~

Like Kenny said, it is Renewal and rebirth. And RP surely needs this baptism.

Yes, the drive south of Why have carpets of pure Mexican California poppies giving anyone looking a free high... it is incredible how they have adapted to survive the harsh ground.

In town the five foot high orange(?) ones makes this desert town very colorful and hides unsightly items left on the ground.

TEN foot waves? Someone needs to take a picture of the Fishermen with these in the Back ground, or slamming against the floating restaurant.

TEN foot waves? Someone needs to take a picture of the Fishermen with these in the Back ground, or slamming against the floating restaurant.
That was exactly what I was thinking of doing, maybe a video... then I stepped outside... YUK... it's a good thing that it rained enough to soak the ground, otherwise this would be a dirt eating, sand blasting day... Just hoping no trees are downed from the winds...

Stuart... I heard earlier in the week that Buoy was predicting 14 footers for today...