Labor Day Weekend

A

azbeachboy

I know My wife and I will down for a hot weekend. Maybe we could have a get together at Camel Toe?

A

azbeachboy

Jim,
I hope we have a good turn out! I've missed you the last two times at the bar. I'm doing good but it could be better...

I was going to head up early on the Thursday the 3rd, but just found out the Tucson Area Music Awards are that night--I'm supposed to be there because I'm on the critics' panel. Meh. Maybe we can beat the midnight border closing after Calexico plays!

15-day forecast is calling for 103 by the 31st. Think we'll be 100+ the whole weekend?

Oh, we'll stop by the CTC, you betcha'. You can always count on them not closing the bar down early, dead weekend or not. And if it's too muggy to hang out at the taco stands afterward, there's always the chilly 24-hour El Sombrero right around the corner. They've even got Wi-Fi!

let's have a party...

JIM... this has all the makings for a great video for the bar... now if you only had tricycles to have tricycle races (for the adults)... it could become a yearly event to raise money for the kids and the schools... (it's just a thought)

-key in the harp time travel music-

way back in 1974 when I was a junior in high school, we skipped school the friday before the labor day holiday and went to a city park and got drunk (as kids often did in small rural towns in Illinois)

after several hours of partying it came time to decide "do I spend my last 69 cents for another bottle of Ripple Pagan Pink? or do we all pool our money together and give it as a donation to the Jerry Lewis MD Telethon? we all decided to do the latter, and this was the beginning of "D for D" a.k.a. "Drunks for Dystrophy"

-key in the time travel music again-

skip ahead to the year 1982 (my last summer in Illinois before moving to AZ) and "D for D" had become a regular event in our town. the city would snow-fence off the entire park.

Del Monte Farms would drop off a truckload of sweet corn which we cooked and given away to all at the party, local butchers would donate steaks to be sold, and of course there was beer... plenty of beer...

the city would allow us to go through 33 kegs of beer. didn't know where they came up with that number until it came time to pay for it, and we then found out one of my buddys father that owned the local Pabst distributorship had donated it.

that year we had collected and turned in over $5000.00 in donations to the Jerry Lewis MD Telethon... every labor day brings back fond memories of getting totally drunk and actually doing some good and helping out someone less fortunate...

funny how people become far more generous when they get all "poop-faced" :oops:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
we can call it the "Beers for Cheers" donatioton and continue with a long tradition and just have fun!!! I do like the idea of the tricycles!!!!

we can call it the "Beers for Cheers" donatioton and continue with a long tradition and just have fun!!! I do like the idea of the tricycles!!!!
:confused: now how did I know you'd like the tricycle races idea? could it be that inner-child part of you showing it's face?

Jim

I'm open to the tricycle race idea or any other charity idea/event that we could put together at the bar. I think it is around 10,000 sq ft so there's plenty of room. I may need some help procuring some trikes though. I don't know where I would begin finding them here. Maybe if someone sees one at a yard sale? I could reimburse you when you got here. Just a thought. So Mark, since this is your brainchild, are you going to help organize this thing and get it going?

Yippie!!!! I thought you'd never ask... Gentlemen Start Your Peddles! and Ride It Like You Stole It...

Last edited:

fasteddy

My wife and I enjoy going to garage sales, put up the parameters for the tricycles and I will start looking. What time do people plan on meeting at the CTC labor day weekend?

Jim

I assume we will need 6 or 8 trikes. Probably bigger are better and I have no idea what a used trike goes for. Ask Mark. He's in charge now.