Mexico Beach Bum

mondone

Whitecaps
In fairness to anyone who might be reading this thread recently, I just want to give an update on my recent experience at what is now just called BEACH BUM. It is again under new ownership. Now why did I visit this place again since I really panned it previously? Well several weeks ago while walking down the Malecon on a Saturday night, the wife and I heard a live band playing up there. A band playing classic rock and they sounded really good! So we decided what the heck, let's go up there and just consume some cerveza and listen to them for a while. Each song was better than the next and we ended up staying for quite a while, enjoying them a lot. Found out later that the band plays there every Saturday night and their name is HIJOS DE MAURICIO. Forward to New Years Eve, after our Encanto electric beach parade, we thought about what to do the rest of the night and I said to the wife I bet there is a good chance that band might be at Beach Bum for NYE. Took a shot and sure enough they were scheduled to play. Now, we already had dinner at the house, so again we just went to enjoy celebrating the eve with cocktails there, so I can't comment on how their food is these days, although the place was very full with diners when we arrived and they all seemed very pleased. What I can say about the BB now is that the new owners ( I believe she said their name is Mary and Jon, hope that's right) really have turned the atmosphere into a most energetic, fun, and service orientated establishment. Although we sat at a cocktail table in front of the band and had drinks only, they and the staff were fantastic to us. Their NYE "party" ( no cover charge) included party hats and favors, free jello shots all during the evening, and free champagne toasts at midnight, all served in a very fun and attentive manner by Mary and the waiters. We ended up the evening saying to ourselves " Wow what a surprisingly fun time and way to have spent NYE! Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up that you may want to check the BB out again, especially on a Sat. night if you want to listen to some really good classic rock. We will head back sometime soon to check how well the kitchen is doing these days.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
I agree. I was there over the TG break. It was my first visit there since it was Wrecked at Old Port.
The band was very good. Played a lot of Music that I did not understand the lyrics as I don't speak the lingo well enough.
But it was very enjoyable. I will warn you though, stay away from the $2 tequila shot. :eek:

mondone

Whitecaps
I agree. I was there over the TG break. It was my first visit there since it was Wrecked at Old Port.
The band was very good. Played a lot of Music that I did not understand the lyrics as I don't speak the lingo well enough.
But it was very enjoyable. I will warn you though, stay away from the $2 tequila shot. :eek:
Maybe you listened to the salsa band they have on another night? The rock band on Saturdays sing in English, and maybe a little Spanish at times.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
Maybe you listened to the salsa band they have on another night? The rock band on Saturdays sing in English, and maybe a little Spanish at times.
You're right. It was a Friday night and it was the Salsa band.
They were good though. I will need to go on a Sat night next time

StephenHeisler

Well Known Member
Jon Sharp and his wife are doing a great job there. Look for some cool specials that cater to "those in the know" coming up in the next few weeks.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Went there today for the 2nd time and was very pleased much better than the first visit last year.
Food was decent and the prices very reasonable. The service was very good. We ate upstairs.
A nice improvement since they opened. The décor is nice just wish they had some larger TV's and maybe 2 more.
Glad they are still serving many different beers and have not gone solely to Tecate products.
Love the $2.50 Mexican beers and the $2 beer happy hour prices.

Checked out the Satisfied Frog menu, on the high end of prices but will give it a try later this week

InkaRoads

cronopiador
So you know the name of the salsa band is "Agua de Coco" they do not play at the beach bum any more, bad choice on the beach bum part, as they have a large following that goes to what ever bar they play at, if you like them you can followed them in Facebook and find where they will be playing!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Agua de Coco will be at the Lexus right next door to Pink Cadillac this Fri. and Sat. They are really good!

fjrjon

True Agua De Coca is not playing at the beach bum on Friday nights but there is still a Salsa band on there on Fridays.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Any updates on likes or dislikes of Beach Bum? Great location and view, but how it the food and service?

Have some friends asking for some restaurant suggestions and was going to send them to Beach Bum, but wanted to see if anyone had a current opinion of the place ?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Went there in early June, for late lunch, they had 4 tables occupied. Service was very good, waiter that served us back in March remembered us.
Good atmosphere and décor, place was very clean.
They serve most beers and I had a Pacifico at happy hour prices, $2 if I remember correct.:):)
We had some fish tacos, and chicken enchiladas. They enchiladas came warm not piping hot, they were sent back to be heated.
The enchiladas were fine after. The food is decent to good and priced fairly.
Upstairs has a good view of the water and action on the Malecon below. On weekends they have live music.
They had some issues when they first opened, but have earned my repeat business. I will go back again in October.
View from the patio.
20140313_150306 copy.jpg

rplarry

Well Known Member
Went there in early June, for late lunch, they had 4 tables occupied. Service was very good, waiter that served us back in March remembered us.
Good atmosphere and décor, place was very clean.
They serve most beers and I had a Pacifico at happy hour prices, $2 if I remember correct.:):)
We had some fish tacos, and chicken enchiladas. They enchiladas came warm not piping hot, they were sent back to be heated.
The enchiladas were fine after. The food is decent to good and priced fairly.
Upstairs has a good view of the water and action on the Malecon below. On weekends they have live music.
They had some issues when they first opened, but have earned my repeat business. I will go back again in October.
View from the patio.
View attachment 6923
Thanks for the update. Will have to run by there next time down.

Great pic too.

Nice to know of a decent place that still serves Pacifico!

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
We went there- good shrimp cocktail (lirtle pricey at $11), beautiful view, really delicious coconut onion rings, but I still love the shrimp tacos across the street at Blue Marlin