Mexico Beach Bum

mondone

Whitecaps
I have the impression that while Mike is well intended he is inexperienced in actually running a restaurant on a day to day basis. May be wrong about that, but some of his responses seem to show a lack of understand about the problems that have been pointed out. Heating plates seem basic to serving food. I even do it at home when I cook, all year long. The wind blows in there with some force and it's just off the sea and cold.
All the reason this place will not make it, just as Lapa Lapa couldn't. Back then my one experience with Lapa wasn't cold, but HOT! Paid a hefty price for a very ordinary meal and lost 3 pounds in sweat by the time I was done. Wrecked didn't last long either, and I didn't get a chance to try it before they were gone.

marybna

I hope this place makes it. The owner is responsive. He responds to the problems. I went to Lapa Lapa once and froze.

Give the guy a break. If he is inexperienced he is at least trying to learn. We all stared out inexperienced. Can we try and support pepole who are trying to help RP?

playaperro

El Pirata
Tip of the day when ordering in Mexico~If having a "Botana" appetizer always order it first with drinks or else they will bring everything at the same time, never fails! I always do so I have a chance to bail.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
ve the guy a break. If he is inexperienced he is at least trying to learnGi. We all stared out inexperienced. Can we try and support pepole who are trying to help RP?
I have always wanted to open a boat and motorcycle repair business in Penasco, I don't know the first thing about it, but if you guys will bring your Harleys and boats in I will give it a try. That would at least help me learn. No appointment needed.

MIRAMAR

I hope this place makes it. The owner is responsive. He responds to the problems. I went to Lapa Lapa once and froze.
I too love the atmosphere- never cared for LapaLapa's food, but the building is fantastic. So hopefully it makes it, especially with Spring Break coming up.

Roberto

Give the guy a break. If he is inexperienced he is at least trying to learn. We all stared out inexperienced. Can we try and support pepole who are trying to help RP?
You can help him out and eat there every night and freeze your you know what off !! He has gotten useful feedback here. We will see if he takes advantage of it. Charlene is going by there later.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Agree with you fatboyharley, however the owner finally responded after weeks of comments over the MBB, if I recall correctly this is not the first thread about the place and its shortcomings even during the warm days.
IMHO, after 25+ years in customer service even bad criticism is good for improvement, seems like Mike did fixed the problem with charging for chips and salsa, Roberto seems to be right, maybe Mike just needs a little more guidance from an experience bar/restaurant owner.
I personally have never been to MBB mainly due to the reports from others in here.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
InkaRoads, it's still worth a drop-in, just for the location. Malecon, ocean, and plaza views--I'm not sure where else has that until you get atop the hill at Lighthouse or Casa del Capitan. They at least used to advertise $1 beers with a meal, but no check I've gotten there for me and large parties of guests I've brought has shown that discount. I'll go again for a beer, just to check out how they're doing and enjoy the view; but not with a big group I'm hosting until I'm sure I won't be embarrassed again.

Working on sealing up the gaps around the windows and doors. Heaters on order. The $1.00 beer special is for Corona with a meal and you have to say you saw it here.

Mexico Beach bum is just that

i dont post on here or do i care but i had a horrible experience at this restaurant and it shouldnt have happened. The service was really bad and slow, cold, unfriendly staff and the place was dead. Now I know why. Im not one to complain but I had to vent as there are many more places to go than this place.

Save your money. Dont go.

i dont post on here or do i care but i had a horrible experience at this restaurant and it shouldnt have happened. The service was really bad and slow, cold, unfriendly staff and the place was dead. Now I know why. Im not one to complain but I had to vent as there are many more places to go than this place.

Save your money. Dont go.
Please explain...

Dan Juan - if you would be so kind as to tell me what date and approximate time you were in, it would help me rectify the problem. I was gone over the weekend. Also, if you will stop in and ask for me, Mike, I will make it right by you.

Roberto

Dan Juan - if you would be so kind as to tell me what date and approximate time you were in, it would help me rectify the problem. I was gone over the weekend. Also, if you will stop in and ask for me, Mike, I will make it right by you.
Glad you are trying to keep on top of things. That's the only way you will be able to fix stuff. I have the impression that the current wait staff and bartender are family members, is that the case?

ATZA

A fun time!

My husband and I frequent Rocky Point, we always have a good time and have gone to our favorite place, ever since we discovered on our first trip. Since then our favorite place has changed hands 3 times. We have gone to all 3, La Palapa, Wreck at the port, and now Mexico Beach Bum, by far we have enjoyed the meals and service Mexico Beach Bum has the most. So we feel that the reason for this is that the current ownership is actually not originally from Rocky Point, Mike the owner is very accommodating, polite and has an extreme attitude when it comes to dealing with some of the more frequent and "picky" locals who also frequent both upstairs and downstairs. There seems to be a lot of negative remarks on this thread which as far as we are concerned with respect to our actual experiences seem to be rather unfounded. The food and drinks are reasonably priced, well served and not at all of spartan or inferior quality. The bar staff is knowledgable in both English and Spanish and very friendly. The atmosphere, the view, the service and food and drink are exceptional when contrasted to other similar locations. We strongly recommend it the next time anyone visits Rocky Point. Of course there are always problems dealing with the language and cultural differences, drunk tourists and a host of other unexpected situations but Beach Bums ability to rock with any wave distinguish them from many others. It is unfortunate that many of the postings on this thread are negative and I am sure the good compliments are far out way the negative ones, every time we have been there, we have never heard anything bad from the patrons but only good compliments.

I have no family members working at the restaurant - they are all in Montana. However, I have gotten close to my staff and there is a family atmosphere among us.

mondone

Whitecaps
My husband and I frequent Rocky Point, we always have a good time and have gone to our favorite place, ever since we discovered on our first trip. Since then our favorite place has changed hands 3 times. We have gone to all 3, La Palapa, Wreck at the port, and now Mexico Beach Bum, by far we have enjoyed the meals and service Mexico Beach Bum has the most. So we feel that the reason for this is that the current ownership is actually not originally from Rocky Point, Mike the owner is very accommodating, polite and has an extreme attitude when it comes to dealing with some of the more frequent and "picky" locals who also frequent both upstairs and downstairs. There seems to be a lot of negative remarks on this thread which as far as we are concerned with respect to our actual experiences seem to be rather unfounded. The food and drinks are reasonably priced, well served and not at all of spartan or inferior quality. The bar staff is knowledgable in both English and Spanish and very friendly. The atmosphere, the view, the service and food and drink are exceptional when contrasted to other similar locations. We strongly recommend it the next time anyone visits Rocky Point. Of course there are always problems dealing with the language and cultural differences, drunk tourists and a host of other unexpected situations but Beach Bums ability to rock with any wave distinguish them from many others. It is unfortunate that many of the postings on this thread are negative and I am sure the good compliments are far out way the negative ones, every time we have been there, we have never heard anything bad from the patrons but only good compliments.
ATZA= wife or business partner? Which one is it?