Mexico Beach Bum

mondone

Whitecaps
Wife and I went down to the malecon tonight to buy some shrimp and clams, with plans to go to Ramon's right after. Leaving the fish market, wife says oh let's just eat somewhere here in the old port. Walked over to MBB and decided to try it out. WHAT A MISTAKE. When we walked in something immediately told me maybe not a good idea as the place seemed kind of desolate and it was really chilly in there. Sat down anyway and wasn't feeling all the comfortable but we each ordered a beer. Looked over the menu and decided to order some buffalo wings and a couple of fish dishes. Breaded fish for the wife, garlic fish for me. Waiter fella askes do you want the wings out first which we replied most definitely. No exaggeration, it took 1/2 hour for the wings to arrive and when it did, the waiter says as he places them on the table, " they may look like they are burnt, but they really are not". "But I can take them back if you don't like them". They were pathetic but we just ate them anyway after waiting so long for them. Of course, as we are biting into our first wing, the dinners come out and are served. After my second wing, I figure I better start on the fish and low and behold the garlic fish is barely warm at best. I have to ask for plate to be re-heated. Wonderful. I ask the wife if the breaded fish is cold also and she says no, but I tried it and it wasn't much warmer than mine.She ate it as is. She wouldn't say she didn't like it, but I can always tell when she is less than delighted with a menu choice. The garlic fish wasn't half bad when it arrived the second time heated to the proper serving temperature, but nothing rave about either. We left lamenting the fact that we decided not to head over to Ramon's after all. From our experience, we doubt this place has any chance of being successful in the long haul. I don't see it making it past a year from now,if that long.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
Yeah, we keep trying to give the place chance after chance, most recently last Friday night with friends from (way) out of town. Our experience has been yours--empty, very cold, and the service staff inattentive and tucked around the corner, out of sight. I love the new decor and the location. The food's been fine for us. But why in the world they don't want to sell guests more than one round of drinks is lost on me. Same experience four times.

garyd

Yeah, we keep trying to give the place chance after chance, most recently last Friday night with friends from (way) out of town. Our experience has been yours--empty, very cold, and the service staff inattentive and tucked around the corner, out of sight. I love the new decor and the location. The food's been fine for us. But why in the world they don't want to sell guests more than one round of drinks is lost on me. Same experience four times.
Only one round? Why?

Roberto

Sorry to report also that the place is FREEZING cold and usually empty. The palapa roof is lovely but carries that ridge line open vent and the wind from the sea was rushing in the other night. Have not eaten there for reasons reported, cold and not a comfortable environment. Too bad, it's a beautiful building. When the weather was warmer the deck outside was nice. Maybe it's a summer restaurant.

tmotsinger

They just don't come around and don't offer refills. Weird, since I want them to have my money in exchange for a multicourse libation experience to match the dining one. To be fair, it does seem kinda common except in the restaurants and cantinas that have a Norteamericano owner actually on premises following Sam Malone's old mantra of "No empty drinks on the bar/table." Same holds for food at MBB, though...we want more and would gladly pay, but the staff (different ones, so it's clearly a training problem) hide and hang out together around the corner. Each time there, our group has been the only one in the place, and I've never seen the owner while I've been there. Total shame, because it is the best location and the new owners really did do a terrific job with the interior.

Location and decor notwithstanding, if you don't take my money, guess I'll sidle up to an establishment that will.

tmotsinger

Sorry to report also that the place is FREEZING cold and usually empty. The palapa roof is lovely but carries that ridge line open vent and the wind from the sea was rushing in the other night. Have not eaten there for reasons reported, cold and not a comfortable environment. Too bad, it's a beautiful building. When the weather was warmer the deck outside was nice. Maybe it's a summer restaurant.
Yeah, it's way cold in there. I understand the difficulty with heating a palapa. But especially when there are just one or two groups, just a space heater near the table would help. Well...that and staff that bring toddies...

mondone

Whitecaps
Being it was New Years Day evening, it was surprising how many places we usually go to, like the Blue Marlin, were closed. Wife didn't want to chance finding Ramon's closed. Wish we took the chance now.

mondone - Hi, I'm Mike Curnow the owner of Mexico Beach Bum. I appreciate your feedback. I was the one who took your food to be re-heated. Again, let me apologize as I did that night for the food not being at the proper temperature. I am going to start heating the plates to help alleviate that problem. Our usual vendor was out of wings and we had to get them from another source. They came with a seasoning on them that made them turn dark as they were cooked. Staffing is always difficult during slow times. When I anticipate business, no one comes and of vice versa. That night we had been slow all day, so I let one person go home and then later we got 4 tables all at once which is always a challenge. I helped with one and our bartender handled the others. There is about 6 weeks out of the year when it is cold here. The building has no heat and a palapa roof. In addition there are many doors and windows which can't be sealed shut. When the sun goes down and the wind blows it is chilly in the restaurant. However, all of these items which cause a problem for 6 weeks are an asset for the remaining 46 weeks of the year. People come here especially for the openness and views of the ocean and sunsets. I am sorry you experienced our restaurant during a cold spell and hope you try us again when it is warmer. I have yet to eat in a restaurant here that is heated - not saying there isn't one.

tmotsinger - Hi I'm Mike Curnow the owner of Mexico Beach Bum. Thanks so much for your feedback. There is no excuse for our wait staff not offering you another round. I am always asking them if there tables have been checked for drinks. I will show them all these comments and review my expectations of them in addition to personally visiting with as many customers as I can. I'm usually off Wed & Thur nights. Thanks again and we will try to keep your glass full!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Mike...Thanks for reading RPT and for responding in the manner you do. We have a sharp eye on this forum and can be
of help. You are one of just a few who come on here to get a feel for things and I think that's a healthy thing for you to
continue to do. I was in your place for a beer shortly after you opened and admit it is a great location.

Good Luck on your future endevours and stay tuned.

Roberto

There is about 6 weeks out of the year when it is cold here. The building has no heat and a palapa roof. In addition there are many doors and windows which can't be sealed shut. When the sun goes down and the wind blows it is chilly in the restaurant. However, all of these items which cause a problem for 6 weeks are an asset for the remaining 46 weeks of the year. I have yet to eat in a restaurant here that is heated - not saying there isn't one.
True that many restaurants are unheated. Froze our butts off at La Cita a few days ago, but was sweating last night at Bryans. There are several relatively simple things you could do to make it more plesant in your restaurant when it is cold. You otta think about it if you are in it here for the long run. Rig up a canvas removable close- off for the ridge line vent, get some portable propane heaters and yes heating the plates should always be done. You could easily get the temp up 15 or 2o degrees with a little work.
Also you got some bad information about how long it stays cold here.

tmotsinger

Appreciate you taking it in the neck from us and responding, Mike. We really do love what you've done with the place...if we can just get your (perfectly pleasant) staff to fill our emptiness. My wife Noel and I will swing back around on a warm afternoon. She'll be the pretty one with the Bohemia Obscura and I'll be the tall goofnut warding off scurvy with limes soaking in ron y Coca Light. -- Tom

Roberto

Average Low Temperature
Years on Record: 39

ANNUAL
JAN
FEB
MAR
APR
MAY
JUN
JUL
AUG
SEP
OCT
NOV
DEC
C

Last edited:

Roberto

Lo Siento, the other is a bad cut and paste and I canot erase or change it. Here's a better Temp record. Check out the average snow days !!!

Puerto Peñasco average weather by month

MonthTemperature °FAverage Rainfall (mm)Average snow daysAverage Fog days
AverageAbsoluteDailyMonthly
maxminmaxmin
January61.547.180.624.80001
February64.049.881.932.00.1300
March66.253.187.140.60.1300
April71.857.699.035.60000
May76.863.5102.051.30000
June82.868.4100.432.00000
July90.077.999.057.20000
August91.278.6100.859.00000
September87.373.9107.253.60.2600
October79.263.995.444.60.1301
November68.553.186.033.80000
December62.448.681.56.80.3900

mondone

Whitecaps
Cold is one of many problems with this restaurant. To excuse a presentation because they used a different vendor for WINGS??? My goodness, you are practically telling us this is nothing more than a heat and serve dive. There are way too many restaurants in PP that serve fresh, homemade in house from scratch entrees that I have frequented often over the years and still do to make me never to have a desire for MBB again. To me there is nothing worst than to have to apologize lamely like they did. Management needs to get their act together, or my prediction for this place will come to fruition.

Roberto

I have the impression that while Mike is well intended he is inexperienced in actually running a restaurant on a day to day basis. May be wrong about that, but some of his responses seem to show a lack of understand about the problems that have been pointed out. Heating plates seem basic to serving food. I even do it at home when I cook, all year long. The wind blows in there with some force and it's just off the sea and cold.