My New Boat

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I finally sealed the deal on a boat and pulled the trigger. I purchased a Cobra Explorer sit on top kayak from a private seller and she's a beauty! I plan on making this a fully custom fishing kayak. This is going to be my new money pit for the next couple of months leading into what should be a great fishing season this year in Rocky Point. I'd like to add a Fish Finder/GPS with a thru-hull transducer, Large front A hatch on the bow, 2 flush mount rod holders, anchor trolly and a live bait tank for the stern well. I cant wait to get her into Mexican waters and wet a line! Let me know what you think, tight lines and cheers!

Nice....put on a couple of outriggers and attach a small kicker outboard!

Enjoy the kayak....looks like it will be very stable.

If I had a boat...

This seemed appropriate. :)

[video=youtube;4evzpIVnMVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4evzpIVnMVs[/video]

:cluck:

jerry

This song has a unfair attack on the Lone Ranger in it. The lone Ranger would kick Lyle's ass any day

sweet ride man what length is it? Looks like it should cut right through the water with ease. Looking forward to seeing updates with the electronics on it eventually......

Sweet.
Not sure you need that much equipment for RP, but it's fun to have. The only equipment I ever really use at RP is the rod holders. It's nice to have a large-ish soft-side cooler to keep your catch.
On the ocean you don't really want an anchor trolley, because you always want the anchor at back or front, not the sides or the waves will be rolling you. I never use an anchor but a sea anchor can be nice. One of those re-usable shopping bags with a hole in the bottom works fine. Some people say they need weighs on one side, but I find they open up fine without.
Fishfinder is nice, but the water is so clear at those depths you can usually see when your above some reef.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Sweet.
Not sure you need that much equipment for RP, but it's fun to have. The only equipment I ever really use at RP is the rod holders. It's nice to have a large-ish soft-side cooler to keep your catch.
On the ocean you don't really want an anchor trolley, because you always want the anchor at back or front, not the sides or the waves will be rolling you. I never use an anchor but a sea anchor can be nice. One of those re-usable shopping bags with a hole in the bottom works fine. Some people say they need weighs on one side, but I find they open up fine without.
Fishfinder is nice, but the water is so clear at those depths you can usually see when your above some reef.

Ive officially been kayak fishing for 1 year now and in the last year Ive learned valuable information in regards to setup. First off, rod holders are a must, at least two flush mounts. Secondly, Ive learned that if you dont want to lose it, leash it/hatch it!! IMO a large center or front hatch is an absolute must! In fact, I wont even take this boat out until Ive installed the front A hatch. The front hatch is huge and it opens up the hull for dry storage. I disagree about the anchor trolly. Ive been reading kayak fishing forums and been on kayakfishingmagazine.net and it seems the vast majority of ocean anglers use anchor trollys. The anchor trolly is more for convenience, which allows an angler to clip the anchor on to the trolly next to him and move it up to the front of the boat or the rear of the boat. Having an anchor trolly doesnt mean that you have to use the anchor in the middle of the boat. I think the bag that you're referring to is called a drift sock. Im not sure if Ill need a drift sock or not, I dont recall ever needing help drifting. That usually occurs naturally with wind/tide. I want a fish finder because I need to start identifying structure under the water and to start finding reefs that are within paddle range. Knowing actual water depth is a huge benefit as well. Obviously a cooler is a must as well. Im looking at a nice deck cooler that goes on the deck of the bow. It is shaped like the bow in an A design and attaches to the yak with straps. It has a removable bag inside so I figure when I go out it will be full of ice and beer and I can fill the bag or other half of the cooler with the fish. Ive never fished live bait and I think that it is time. Bottom fishing live bait might yield decent catches at reefs within paddle distance but first I need a bait tank. Ive found numerous how to's on the internet to make your own bait tank for about $50. Along with everything having practical use, this is a hobby. Its in my blood to want to have the coolest of anything. I like when someone walks up and says, "brother, thats a bad ass fishing kayak!!!" I take a lot of pride in the things that I own and I always want them to look their best. You have to look good to play good!!

I hear you. The anchor trolley makes sense when you put it that way. I have one myself (and 3 rod holders, fish finder, hatch, crate with more rod holders, special seat, extra paddle, stern light).
I have a gear problem.

The drift sock is to slow your drift and for when the water is too deep for your anchor. It also tends to keeps your bow (or stern) facing the waves. Of course when the waves are any size I usually just stay on shore drinking beer.

YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY!!!

Just put out a sabiki rig to make bait and throw the fish on a striger until you figure out your bait tank solution. Some of them ive seen on those forums are even battery powered i believe. Would love to get a setup like that but i would just end up being so pissed when i get it all down to RP and the weather doesnt play nice lol

Kenny

Joe and I talked about it a little on face book, but it's even nicer than he described it. Yes, a drift sock of some kind with hold you in place longer Joe, and allow you to slow drift over the reefs. When Ric finally bought one for his boat, it allowed us to spend more time over our target at times when we might otherwise have had to drop anchor.