Need Tequila

P

Penasco Pirate

I'd like a RCPM bottle...too much for me to drink it though! I like the Manny's type stuff 'cause it doesn't have the 'Cuervo bite'....I got sick on that rat (insert expletive) a looong time ago and never got over it. The stouotest tequila I've had the honor of sampling at Manny's was out of a barrel and so dark, it looked green! I felt like I was drinking an oak tree!! Even that didn't have the 'bite'......I have even tried Don Julio and the Patron line up, they all seem to have that flavor and after taste that makes me wanna.........................drive the porcelin bus??

Audsley, I am with you, the Don Julio series of Tequilas can not be beat. From the Silver (My pref. about $45, I do not like the oak casket flavors added to the darks), to the premium Real, an 100% blue agave anejo. Going about $400 for 750Ml. and that is not a collector bottle.

Stuart, go for it, list it on Ebay!!!
Do you have it with the Box? What number?
Wahoo....I think I paid somewhere around $26-28 for the Blanco (Silver??) at Super Ley......

... and make sure you see the bottle opened in front of you, or trust your bartender.
I have heard some bars will refill their bottle with another elexir, the patron none the wiser.
That is definitely true....I knew the owner of one bar who did that on a regular basis...but that was with his "house" tequila.....Jose Cuervo....refilling it with even cheaper Mezcelito......

Last edited:

joester

2 salty dawgs
Wahoo -
I have NOT tried Don Julio Real - but at $300 a fifth in Mexico - it's not likely to ever be considered one of my favorites - IF I ever spend big bucks just for a shot. Corazon being my favorite not just because I like it - but that I can buy it 2 miles from home for $40 bucks. I like La Pis anejo also - but not that easy to find in Az, and usually over 65/fifth - not something I would buy regularly. 1942 is very nice also - but at or over $100 - not for this guy.
if you want to talk about the finest tequilas anywhere, regardless of cost - I can't enter that conversation, sorry.
I have tried a LOT what is considered "premium" tequilas (100% blue agave) - and for the money - I like Corazon reposado or anejo the best. that's just the 2 of us - your tastes (and possibly pocketbook) are quite a bit richer than ours. Sauza tres generations is also one of the better values for a sippin tequila - we try to find the best sippin tequila for the buck, so us regular folks can enjoy a bottle or 3 now and then :)

no salt or lime please.

from a tequila website:

Bottled in beautiful decanters with pewter agave leaf accents this ultra premium tequila represents Tequila Don Julio's top of the line. At last report Don Julio Real continues to be sold in Mexico only. The tequila has been aged five years in white oak casks. The picture above was taken at the wonderful little Don Julio store in Tlaquepaque. The merchant there was kind enough to hold up the bottle and let me get the photo. This 750 ml. bottle was said to be a bargain at this store for just over $300.00 US. It makes me hurt to think of what Real would go for if it was sold in the States. I did finally get to try Real and though it is an excellent tequila, I do still prefer Don Julio 1942 which is also less expensive.

Maybe Stuart would bring his "collection" down....and have a tequila tasting party....maybe a $20-25 "buyin" and we coulde all taste various brands????

audsley

$300 bottles don't work for me either. The tequila I was thinking of is Don Julio Blanco, for which we paid $27 for 750 ml last October at the duty-free shop at Lukeville. I just checked with a friend/fellow Rocky Pt. traveler who is a regular tequila somalier. He tells me the Wine Store in Tucson (Ft. Lowell and Stone) now has it for $41 a bottle. He says tequila prices are dropping and that Don Julio Blanco could get down to $22-$25 at Lukeville if it hasn't already.

As for the $300 oak-aged stuff, my friend finds it tastes similar to scotch and believes a man can drink just as well and save a lot of money by buying a bottle of scotch instead. We think Don Julio's best offering is the Blanco, and it's affordable.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Flavored tequila, ? I do not think so.
Don't kid yourself. Okay, for drinking, you're right. I'm not a flavored tequila drinker at all. But for *cooking*, you cannot beat the almond-flavored tequila. A splash of that when cooking fish gives it a great flavor. I've tried it on shrimp, too, and it gives a great flavor. Maybe not for everyone, but definitely something different taste-wise for those that like seafood.

Even though I've tried to stop adding to my collection, another bottle of tequila found its way home with me this weekend. I can't resist!!! Vasquez in Sonoita has a great collection of all price range tequilas and much better prices than virtually anybody in Rocky Point. My buddy bought a nice Don Julio there for $41. Worth the stop before you hit the border coming home or going down.

Don't kid yourself. Okay, for drinking, you're right. I'm not a flavored tequila drinker at all. But for *cooking*, you cannot beat the almond-flavored tequila. A splash of that when cooking fish gives it a great flavor. I've tried it on shrimp, too, and it gives a great flavor. Maybe not for everyone, but definitely something different taste-wise for those that like seafood.

Even though I've tried to stop adding to my collection, another bottle of tequila found it's way home with me this weekend. I can't resist!!! Vasquez in Sonoita has a great collection of all price range tequilas and much better prices than virtually anybody in Rocky Point. My buddy bought a nice Don Julio there for $41. Worth the stop before you hit the border coming home or going down.
but will it be worth it when you hit the floor after drinking it?:rofl:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
but will it be worth it when you hit the floor after drinking it?:rofl:
They used to sell that shirt everywhere in Rocky Point, probably still do. "One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor!" That, and the shirt about the Stages of Tequila Drinking - Good Looking, Superman, Bullet Proof, etc. Yes, I actually owned one of those shirts!

And oh... my barrel of Manny's Tequila from the Tequila Factory is suddenly empty! I don't think anybody drank it. I think it evaporated out of the wooden keg. The wife mentioned it was empty the other day as she was moving the bottles around and dusting. Maybe she drank it and is just covering her tracks!!!! Probably not. She and tequila do NOT agree on anything! Oh well, I'll have to bring down and refill it.
:coldone:

wendell

For a really good beach drink, try this: Over ice: 1 shot almond tequila, 1/3 to 1/2 shot coconut rum, juice from 1/4 lime, sprite or 7up as mixer. Excellent variations on this are to substitute flavored vodka (mango or peach is best) for the cocnut rum. As a lifelong scotch drinker, I find i really like these--great summer or beach drinks

joester

2 salty dawgs
Wahoo -
that's what i meant by "different strokes...."
everybody has their own favorite.
I rarely buy a blanco for myself - even for margs.
love a reposado or a lighter anejo.
La Reserva just is too raw for me - similar to the way I find cabo wabo anejo very bitter, whereas the reposado is just ok.
same with don julio - the blanco is fine, but I like the reposado best, with the anejo last - too bitter and raw-tasting for me.
to each their own - nobody is right or wrong in what they like the best.

Total Wine is great shopping - been on a rum kick since our trip to the islands - time for another batch of painkillers this weekend!

don julio?

really? don julio?
different strokes for different folks I suppose.
:smile:

I was replying to Joester, about good teqs, and for the price; a silver at 28bucks (thks for the tip) or 42 in PHX is as far as I go. And if offered a shot or a cold Bohemia.... it is a the Bohemia for me.

OT: Kenny, they sell a six for $6.00 at "Total Wine and more" many stores availble through out AZ, 3 in PHX.

Kenny

For a really good beach drink, try this: Over ice: 1 shot almond tequila, 1/3 to 1/2 shot coconut rum, juice from 1/4 lime, sprite or 7up as mixer. Excellent variations on this are to substitute flavored vodka (mango or peach is best) for the cocnut rum. As a lifelong scotch drinker, I find i really like these--great summer or beach drinks
The heck with that! Just get a bottle of White Port, and some lemon juice.