New Scam to be Aware (Wary) of

An elderly lady in Las Conchas got a phone call on Monday. She recognized the voice as being her neighbor there, a Mexican-American who lives with his wife in Phx when they aren't in Penasco (the wife is a Realtor).
Anyway, the guy tells the lady that he and his wife are being detained at the border (Mexican side) and are about to be slapped with Federal charges for bringing $26,000 to Mexico without declaring it. He goes on to say that the border agent has agreed to let them go, with their money, if someone will pay $1,500 usd in "administrative fees". They actually put her on the phone with the "border agent", who spoke some English. They, of course, promised to repay her upon returning with the $26,000.
The border agent even gave her his office phone number so she could tell him when the deposit had been made into the bank account that they gave her.
By now you've figured out that this story has an even sadder ending than L85's Toy Story 3. The neighbors deny having been the ones to call, and the lady is out $1,500. The bank has frozen that account, but of course there was no more money in it. The transaction history shows the account originated in Guadalajara and received money from all over Mexico. The State Investigative Agency (PEI) were very kind, but didn't hold out much hope of tracking down the perpetrators or getting the money back.
They did ask me to put the word out and warn people to be wary of these phone scams (which happen everywhere) and never, ever deposit money this way.

P.S. The victim in this case is still convinced the caller was her neighbor.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Damn, Rosie!! I'm crying here! I just sent $2500 to a barrister in the Congo who was about to wire me 4.5 million dollars from someone he said was my dead uncle!! You mean... it might be a scam?? I had everything packed and was ready to move to Rocky Point!

Seriously though, the scam you mention really sucks. Seems like the scammers had just a little too much inside information to be able to pull that one off. Maybe it really was the neighbor?????

LOL! The victim is convinced, but the investigators say that elderly people usually give more information than they get when they receive a phone call. Such as asking, "Mark, is this you?" then the guy says, "Yeah, I'm Mark", as opposed to letting him talk. Well, really, she should have just said, "sorry, I can't help you".

LOL! The victim is convinced, but the investigators say that elderly people usually give more information than they get when they receive a phone call. Such as asking, "Mark, is this you?" then the guy says, "Yeah, I'm Mark", as opposed to letting him talk. Well, really, she should have just said, "sorry, I can't help you".
It wasn't me... I hate to use the phone... but I do talk to those guys in Nigeria that have 27 trillion dollars for me... from my rich uncle the KING, that I didn't know I had...

didn't the Rocky Point calender lady get caught up in this scam...

Terry C

Dang, i am waiting for an email from Minzigal Halbang Hablul Bharat right now. My dads great uncles sisters brothers dad side of the family i hear. :lol:

Roberto

This phone scam is rampant here right now, maybe more toward the Mexicans than US folk. It worked it's way north, has been big in Mexico DF for some time. My strategy is to not answer the phone !!

Y'all can forget about the Nigerian connection, I've got an inside lock on that one. It only cost me $20K to get the cool $100 million. Great deal huh? I'll get it any day now, you'll see.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The other one that is going around is pretty interesting, you get an email from one of your contacts someone you know. They apologize for not letting you know about the trip they are on and they find themselves in Europe. Just after getting off the plane they are robbed of all their cash and passports. They know you will help them, you are friends right? So they ask if you can send them 1500.00 to get back "home" they are scared and confused. You can even email them back and they will respond as if they really are the person who is your friend. The whole thing is a hoax. Your real friends email has bee hacked and a lot of your other friends are getting the same request and people are wiring money left and right to Europe. Dont fall for it.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That happened to one of my friends but he didn't fall for it. These scammers are the lowliest scum...Ellos van a quemar solos.......

The other one that is going around is pretty interesting, you get an email from one of your contacts someone you know. They apologize for not letting you know about the trip they are on and they find themselves in Europe. Just after getting off the plane they are robbed of all their cash and passports. They know you will help them, you are friends right? So they ask if you can send them 1500.00 to get back "home" they are scared and confused. You can even email them back and they will respond as if they really are the person who is your friend. The whole thing is a hoax. Your real friends email has bee hacked and a lot of your other friends are getting the same request and people are wiring money left and right to Europe. Dont fall for it.
That is the scam I was referring to when I said that I thought that Karen of the Rocky Point Calender had happen to her... I remember reading her posts on FB....

It's sad the lengths some people will go to to rob and or even disgrace others... the internet can be such a useful tool for good and unfortunately for those that want to harm others as well... people can get anyones email and send any kind of story and unless you know who they really are you are at risk...