No US Doollars at Ace hardware

Joe, you hit on the real issue here. Taking dollars from customers has recently become more problematic for Penasco business owners because depositing dollars into their accounts is more restricted. I was in a meeting with two major business owners and they were lamenting the fact that now they cannot afford to accomodate people wanting to pay in dollars unless they short people on the rate of exchange. Of course then customers complain about being "gouged". Bottom line, it's cheaper and easier for them to just take pesos. DMCauley, I hope you'll rethink your boycott of businesses that are simply doing what they can to get by during these hard times.

We too belong to a credit union and use the same ATM in PP that Joe does. This is how it works for us.........we know which places prefer dollars and which places prefer pesos (these of course are places that we frequent). We take enough cash to cover the "dollar" places (and vendors and for tips and what not) and we use the ATM to get pesos for the rest. Yes, we're charged a very small fee at the ATM.............we do not care. We also use the debit card at times at places that except them, which is many. And again, we're charged a small fee...........and again, we do not care. We are in a foreign country and we just go with the flow to make things as easy going as possible...................
Hey beachgirl...the next time we're both down in Penasco at the same time, I'll give you USD...why don't you exchange them to pesos?...."since the fee is very small":rofl::moon:

All joking aside, I don't mind paying the fee the Mexican bank charges me for the transaction....and it is small....but it just galls me when my bank or credit union charges me a foreign transaction fee.....we are in the electronic age.....there are no "paper transactions" where someone has to actually "touch" the transaction.....but I'm also pissed at the banks charging you "fees" for you to access your own money...when they are paying out "piddles" in terms of interest for you to keep your money there!!!! I could also get into a whole rant on airline fees......are they going to start charging for the air you breathe on the plane...by the breath?? and pretty soon it will be cheaper and easier for you to FedEx your luggage when you travel!!!!!:stir:

Last edited:
Joe, you hit on the real issue here. Taking dollars from customers has recently become more problematic for Penasco business owners because depositing dollars into their accounts is more restricted. I was in a meeting with two major business owners and they were lamenting the fact that now they cannot afford to accomodate people wanting to pay in dollars unless they short people on the rate of exchange. Of course then customers complain about being "gouged". Bottom line, it's cheaper and easier for them to just take pesos. DMCauley, I hope you'll rethink your boycott of businesses that are simply doing what they can to get by during these hard times.
Thank you Rosy for confirming what I was hearing this weekend from a couple business owners.......

On the matter of gouging...that's why I originally went to exchanging some dollars to pesos....the gouging the Pemex stations used to do...giving you 10 pesos to the dollar, when the official rate was anywhere between 11 and 12!!! For those who may ask...why didn't you use your credit/debit card???? Half the time, the dial up system they were using for the card transactions was down!!!!

Last edited:

AZ ROB

the fact of the matter is that around the world most countries will take the currency of the neighboring countries along the border town/cities, drive to the interior of such countries a bit more, even 10 miles and they will not take any other currency than their own, just a handful of countries will take dollars, we should consider ourselves lucky that Puerto Penasco has been taking dollars all these years but like everything it also has and end and it is starting now and I do not think that will stop tourism, people that travels understand that!! it's always been that way all over the world!!
Inka not to start anything but I just returned from Central America and every one in town was dealing in American Dollars. The only time I used any local currency was when I had to go to the bank and make a withdrawl of a large sum in order to pay for 20 dives in cash. I actually had to request local currency at one point just to be able to bring some home.

jerry

if you are going down from Tucson, Arizona Stamp and Coin on Speedway is way better than Wells fargo (long slow process at only one branch) The rate at Az Stamp is 11.90 today

if you are going down from Tucson, Arizona Stamp and Coin on Speedway is way better than Wells fargo (long slow process at only one branch) The rate at Az Stamp is 11.90 today
Might as well do the exchange at the cambio on Calle 13....oh, that's right Jerry, you don't spend much time in Penasco!!!!:stir::jerry:

Yep I'm sort of into Natural Mexico rather than Drunken Mexico
Oh that's right...your "natural" gated community of Santo Tomas!! :aagh: :rolleyes::aagh:

There is plenty of "natural" mexico around the Penasco area....

Jerry...when is the last time you were actually in Penasco??????????????????????????????????

Last edited:

jerry

Well except for gas and supplies I usually go to Caborca.I do like my place(built much of both places myself and will soon be doing a few small modernist places and construction management for fellow lovers of small,smart houses. Who needs a El McMansion when you have 20 miles of isolated beaches,great infrastructure,easy going neighbors,good title,honest owners,amazing dunes /animal life,miles of orange groves,asparagus,melons and grapes,great local people and no crime......As the coastal highway keeps heading South i think you'll find many Tucsonans bypassing RP and headed toward us,Puerto Lobos and Puerto Libertad in the coming years

Jerry...when is the last time you were actually in Penasco??????????????????????????????????[/QUOTE]

Well except for gas and supplies I usually go to Caborca.I do like my place(built much of both places myself and will soon be doing a few small modernist places and construction management for fellow lovers of small,smart houses. Who needs a El McMansion when you have 20 miles of isolated beaches,great infrastructure,easy going neighbors,good title,honest owners,amazing dunes /animal life,miles of orange groves,asparagus,melons and grapes,great local people and no crime......As the coastal highway keeps heading South i think you'll find many Tucsonans bypassing RP and headed toward us,Puerto Lobos and Puerto Libertad in the coming years

Jerry...when is the last time you were actually in Penasco??????????????????????????????????
[/QUOTE]
Jerry...didn't you just recently report the robbery of your friend in Caborca at gunpoint???? Granted, I would expect much less in terms of break-ins in your gated community....it is far enough from the types of individuals I would expect that from, and with limited access to it, from the last time I was there........

So why do you frequent this Forum...why not start your own??? SantoTomasTalk.net??????:notme::stir:

jerry

Hey Joe, as Baja trader gets ready to cross over to the other side he has offered a small tip to make others lives at the Beach in Mexico easier (a great tip on keeping bait on a hook)
I'm thinking what my one small tip would be (just one per person) and I wondered what yours would be..please don't let it be the water balloons full of oil to thrown at armed narcos on the road from sonota!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Inka not to start anything but I just returned from Central America and every one in town was dealing in American Dollars. The only time I used any local currency was when I had to go to the bank and make a withdrawl of a large sum in order to pay for 20 dives in cash. I actually had to request local currency at one point just to be able to bring some home.
AZ ROB, I think you missed it, that is why I said in my original post "just a handful of countries will take dollars" as is the case with Central and South American countries where the laundring of monies is not a problem and UAE, just to name a few.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
¡pórtate bien! hijos!

Jerry...didn't you just recently report the robbery of your friend in Caborca at gunpoint???? Granted, I would expect much less in terms of break-ins in your gated community....it is far enough from the types of individuals I would expect that from, and with limited access to it, from the last time I was there........

So why do you frequent this Forum...why not start your own??? SantoTomasTalk.net??????:notme::stir:[/QUOTE]

Hey Joe, as Baja trader gets ready to cross over to the other side he has offered a small tip to make others lives at the Beach in Mexico easier (a great tip on keeping bait on a hook)
I'm thinking what my one small tip would be (just one per person) and I wondered what yours would be..please don't let it be the water balloons full of oil to thrown at armed narcos on the road from sonota!
Jerry...I think I accomplished that already...just by starting this particular thread....made visitors aware that they couldn't use USD at the Penasco Ace Hardware.....I'm sure that was considerably more than some people have done on here....:stir:

Oh...oh...oh...I have another one......Never get into a discussion with Jerry about politics!!!:aagh::aagh:

BTW Jerry...have you ever had a semi spew some leaking diesel on your windshield...particularly at night????? Try seeing thru that mess, or even having your windshield washer clean it off.....

Last edited:

jerry

Seriously i'm thinking what my one tip gained from a life filled of ups and downs I'd have to offer to Mexican beach visitors,,,,
DMCAULEY could give one on boats or blended families.Stewart fishing maybe,Roberto on living the greatest middle age life change of all time, Rosy maybe some type of business thing (since i have no idea what she does for fun,Kenny (won't be able to stop at one),AZ maybe some bead thing on and on....
Jerry...I think I accomplished that already...just by starting this particular thread....made visitors aware that they couldn't use USD at the Penasco Ace Hardware.....I'm sure that was considerably more than some people have done on here....:stir:

Oh...oh...oh...I have another one......Never get into a discussion with Jerry about politics!!!:aagh::aagh:

BTW Jerry...have you ever had a semi spew some leaking diesel on your windshield...particularly at night????? Try seeing thru that mess, or even having your windshield washer clean it off.....

...Rosy maybe some type of business thing (since i have no idea what she does for fun....
What I do for fun?? Well I...hmm...I think I would like to...sometimes I think I could...well, maybe I should...aw hell, what's fun? Guess you're right, Jerry. My tips will have to be business related.

When I had my little boat, about 3 times a week I would go out by myself with music and a book to read. I'd go out to the deep and just drift. I've always wanted to jetski here and haven't gotten around to it.
Let's change the subject...I sound pitiful.

jerry

What I do for fun?? Well I...hmm...I think I would like to...sometimes I think I could...well, maybe I should...aw hell, what's fun? Guess you're right, Jerry. My tips will have to be business related.

When I had my little boat, about 3 times a week I would go out by myself with music and a book to read. I'd go out to the deep and just drift. I've always wanted to jetski here and haven't gotten around to it.
Let's change the subject...I sound pitiful.
ok next time i see one on ebay I'm buying you a little turquoise row boat!!!!!..ok let'a have a new list of the best 10 books of all time for a girl to read in a row boat on the Sea of Cortez!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Wow Joe! Who peed in your Wheaties this morning? But, I have had diesel fuel spewed all over me on the interstate and it is no fun! Especially if you have the top down!

Now, for some serious boat or beach reading for the girls, ANYTHING by Harold Robbins! If you're gonna make me pick, my favorite is The Dream Merchants. Carpetbaggers is a close second. And, my other favorite authors are Danielle Steele, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Nora Roberts and Fern Michaels. Trashy novels at their best! I just love fluff! LOL!

Last edited:
Wow Joe! Who peed in your Wheaties this morning? But, I have had diesel fuel spewed all over me on the interstate and it is no fun! Especially if you have the top down!

Now, for some serious boat or beach reading for the girls, ANYTHING by Harold Robbins! If you're gonna make me pick, my favorite is The Dream Merchants. Carpetbaggers is a close second. And, my other favorite authors are Danielle Steele, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Nora Roberts and Fern Michaels. Trashy novels at their best! I just love fluff! LOL!
Jerry with his continual taking of a thread off topic.....:jerry::hairout:

....but actually Chari, I'm in a decent mood.....finally home from work...decided to cut the back yard grass tomorrow.....getting read to barbecue a nice steak.....we're still waiting for your tales from CO and some pics.....