No US Doollars at Ace hardware

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I typed a big long 2 page tale of my vacation and when I went to submit it, it went to the black hole. Argh! I will type 3 posts when I can, of my vacation. I am still recovering. I have altitude sickness and have been wiped out since I came home. I will try to do it tomorrow. I tell ya, gettin' old ain't for sissies!

ok next time i see one on ebay I'm buying you a little turquoise row boat!!!!!..ok let'a have a new list of the best 10 books of all time for a girl to read in a row boat on the Sea of Cortez!
1. Jaws
2. Adrift
3. Swiss Family Robinson
4. Robinson Crusoe

P.S. 2-4 were from Mel150. We had dinner together and tried to come up with a few.

The last time I used the ATM there, August 7th, I withdrew 900.00 pesos...............the total charge debited to my card was $73.86. When I did the conversion, it came out to 938.923 pesos. This was done at today's rate, which is a little higher than it was on that particular day. I do not have a problem paying with pesos anywhere.

I should have stated that .73 cents was a Visa international fee. I do not have a problem with this for the following reason: last month, someone got a hold of my debit card number and used it online. Thanks to the people at Visa, a red flag went up and long story short, saved me from having to deal with a huge problem. The funny thing about this is that the charge was only $34.26..........they red flagged it because it was to a company that is based in London, England. It was very "out of the ordinary" for our account......thus, the red flag. They tried to charge again on the card, but by that time, it had already been blocked. The few cents that they charge me is well worth it.

The last time I used the ATM there, August 7th, I withdrew 900.00 pesos...............the total charge debited to my card was $73.86. When I did the conversion, it came out to 938.923 pesos. This was done at today's rate, which is a little higher than it was on that particular day. I do not have a problem paying with pesos anywhere.

Over the 4th of July weekend, when I used my CU card there, it cost me somewhere around $4.30 for a withdrawal of 1100 pesos, or about 4.6%. This was all the fees, including the Mexican BANK ATM fee (I think it's 7 pesos??). I believe they were giving 12.15 pesos to the dollar. I was trying to go back thru my bank credit card statements to find the fees...but I guess I stopped using it some time ago because of the larger fees.

dmcauley

Rosy, I don't really boycott anyone in PP. I carry sufficient dollars and pesos to cover all my expenses. I don't like the manner in which Mexico going after the narcos by causing so many inconveniences to the common folk and to the tourists. First the radio tower, then telephones and now this.
They all know where the narcos are, as most of the population do, but are too scared or maybe involved to do anything about it. Brings to mind the days of the Mafia here when all the politicians were paid off.
I love Mexico, but unlike Russ, I do not put on blinders and compare other US cities to PP. The facts are the facts and we should all be privy to them w/o the sugar coating. You do a great job at this Rosy, keep up the good work.

JimMcG

Didn't go there this past visit, but over the 4th of July weekend, they were.
I was there last weekend and they did accept my dollars but would only give change in Peso's
Over the 4th of July weekend, when I used my CU card there, it cost me somewhere around $4.30 for a withdrawal of 1100 pesos, or about 4.6%. This was all the fees, including the Mexican BANK ATM fee (I think it's 7 pesos??). I believe they were giving 12.15 pesos to the dollar. I was trying to go back thru my bank credit card statements to find the fees...but I guess I stopped using it some time ago because of the larger fees.
I should have stated that .73 cents was a Visa international fee. I do not have a problem with this for the following reason: last month, someone got a hold of my debit card number and used it online. Thanks to the people at Visa, a red flag went up and long story short, saved me from having to deal with a huge problem. The funny thing about this is that the charge was only $34.26..........they red flagged it because it was to a company that is based in London, England. It was very "out of the ordinary" for our account......thus, the red flag. They tried to charge again on the card, but by that time, it had already been blocked. The few cents that they charge me is well worth it.

Thanks for the information

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Just spent 300.00 at Los Pinos hardware and lumber store, I would have used pesos but the exchange rate was better there than at the bank at 12.00 to 1 dollar today.

Rosy, I don't really boycott anyone in PP. I carry sufficient dollars and pesos to cover all my expenses. I don't like the manner in which Mexico going after the narcos by causing so many inconveniences to the common folk and to the tourists. First the radio tower, then telephones and now this.
They all know where the narcos are, as most of the population do, but are too scared or maybe involved to do anything about it. Brings to mind the days of the Mafia here when all the politicians were paid off.
I love Mexico, but unlike Russ, I do not put on blinders and compare other US cities to PP. The facts are the facts and we should all be privy to them w/o the sugar coating. You do a great job at this Rosy, keep up the good work.
Thanks, DM. I get my share of people complaining. Some because I say too much, others because I don't say enough. I try to stick to what I know and leave the speculation out of it. I wish I had more contributing writers and more paying advertizers, but truly appreciate my loyal following. Our readership numbers are through the roof, and that says something.

wendell

how come you can go into a bank branch in Zih or Puerto Vallarta and change dollars to pesos but in penasco the same bank will no longer change money. When i asked the branch manager in Penasco when they first stopped doing this he told me it was because the banks in PP lost a lost on currency transactions on the last dollar/pesos runup so they quit changing money. Silly me--i always thought that was a basic function of banks--and if they should make money at it.

DM is so correct: "Every one feels the pinch except for the narcos." The Mexican governmant's answer to the narco problem is as effective as putting water in your radiator when you run out of gas. When in a foreign country, deal in the currency of that country.

Was in Penasco one week ago. Friday night, the Policia Estatal Investigadora (PEI), had a roadblock/checkpoint on Benito Juarez, just south of Pollo Lucas. There were about ten PEI pickup trucks lined up in the middle of the street, each with all emergency lights flashing. Quite a light show, which could be observed for quite a distance from both directions. Conveniently, there was a side street bypass above and below the "road block". As we were heading north, cars both in front of us, and from behind us, turned off the boulevard, using side streets to bypass the "road block". How convenient! Like the police really want to catch the "bad guys". Interfere with cartel business, and you and your family will be executed. This is what is hanging over the heads of the police. This is why you don't see any police on Highway 8 at night, and why PEI vehicles only travel in carravans.

DM - Can you explain your reference to the "radio tower"? I noticed a communications facility built on the west side of highway 8, south of Sonoyta. It seemed strange to me because it was so close to the highway, had its own diesel power plant, had very little in the way of antennas on the tower, and had no government SCT identification. It is not like other microwave communication relay facilities, that are usually built on a hill, have a tower supporting many antennas, and are tied into the electrical grid. What's up with this? Anyone else notice?

Kenny

Wow, this forum now has smell simulation! That's cool Tyler, but don't you think you could have picked a better one?