Penasco Police Chief Landagaray critical after ambush

Rosy, sorry if it is off topic, but to me Rocky Point is in Sonora and a Police Chief had an attempted assassination. (Not sure what else you can call it). Jose Duarte Israel was also a "Chief of Police" (PEI) and in Sonora. Two heads of Police, Tuesday, not Wednesday??? What is your point? I Love your town, and I am concerned and do not understand the AK-47 gangs that have infiltrated.

Unfortunately this head of Police assassination was successfully along with Lauro Guzmán Siqueiros that was also killed along with the chief. Just sounded so similar to the two attempted murders in Rocky Point, SON. Lucky for Landagaray and his body guard they are still with us. Israel and Siqueiros are not.

If you do not see a connection to the terror on public servants by an evil elements in Sonora as I do, I suggest you are raise your blinders.

I suggest it is best to keep ALL information on the Police Chief as a private and OFF TOPIC as possible.
Posting that he is still good to go you inform whomever $$$ still out for his head . This is not good information as much as I know you want to advice and celebrate his stable health.

One attempt failed the next the outcome might not be the same. Like Stuart posted, it is best to believe the attempt was successfully or a new attempt might be forth coming. I have no idea why this was done, but the order was given and until it is accomplished he is a target for someone, who knows why and better not to speculate.
I don't have blinders on. I'm fully aware of terror tactics used by the bad elements...and it isn't necessary to go all the way to Divisadero to find that...it can be found in Nogales and other places in this region. My point is that if you're going all the way to that area, then you're looking too hard, and if you're looking that hard you're obviously trying to prove something. Don't we have enough to discuss with things that are more relevant? Why don't you start a thread about general violence in Sonora?

Look, if we're discussing safety for travel purposes to RP, then I still say that what happens in another part of the state is of no relevance. Also, the state investigative police in a much more rural (notable because there are huge hiding places in the hills and forest regions) place is running a completely different kind of risk (add to that the PEI commander was also from a politically-connected family).

As for Erick's progress, I think you're statement that someone ordered a hit on him is odd. Do you have information that might aid the investigation? As I said earlier, indications are that he and his guard came upon someone suspicious. They are probably long gone and the car they were in has probably been dumped. But just in case the shooter is reading this forum, I will stop giving reports on his progress.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
This a very wise statement. There are reasons *why* this happened and I mentioned them yesterday - retribution and control. To go any deeper than that on a public forum is to put one's self at risk. There are things that the locals know and accept and things are not always what they seem on the surface. Best left at that.

Oh, I wanted to add - my post yesterday mentioning that the Chief of Police had passed away. I was told later in the day that this was deliberate and the family wanted this to get out and be posted by the news. Given what happened, they didn't want any unexpected visitors at the hospital in Hermosillo to finish the job, as there were with the slaying at Red Cross.

I don't blame them a bit.
I have no Idea what is going on, and for me Rocky Point is Sonora, sorry to generalize. I was reading up on the latest here at the forum to get a more local opinion on matters of Rocky Point. If he ran into something that he was not suppose to see, he now has seen and therefore still could be a target, danger.

On Chiefs of police being Killed? How many have been killed in Mexico in the last 6 months? Yes Sonora is big, but the type of violence is ugly not the type seen here in Arizona. (AK-47) Be headings and dismemberments seam to be a ritual. Having said that, I know this has Nothing to do with tourists and maybe it is for controlling the territory to sell there product to the Tourists.

All good business never targets his costumer, so visitors are safe.

Rosy, check out todays AZ Republic half page ad.

Visit Sonora, (Page A 25)
Visit Sonora = visit Rocky Point for us Phoenicians.
Nothing about Rocky point, it is all about SONORA.
So Sonora is Rocky Point.
And so it goes what happnes in Sonora now is reflected to Rocky Point.

Last edited:
I just finished watching a very interesting documentary on the Cocaine Cowboy Wars in south Florida. It reminded me that what is happening here now is not unlike what has happened at times in the U.S. I have no doubt we'll get past this, like you guys did. If you haven't watched it or read about it, it is fascinating.

jerry

I just finished watching a very interesting documentary on the Cocaine Cowboy Wars in south Florida. It reminded me that what is happening here now is not unlike what has happened at times in the U.S. I have no doubt we'll get past this, like you guys did. If you haven't watched it or read about it, it is fascinating.
no comparison between the two. The gangsters in South Florida (Hippies,Colombians and Cubans) dressed better,had better taste in bling and just seemed to have more fun.Even the narcs were cool

no comparison between the two. The gangsters in South Florida (Hippies,Colombians and Cubans) dressed better,had better taste in bling and just seemed to have more fun.Even the narcs were cool
Jajaja...you must not have seen Scarface. Some of the stuff they wore was absolutely horrid.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Yeah!! but those were the 80's and there we go talking about accents, remember: jou cocoroch!!

Last edited:
Jerry...I thnink you watched too much "Miami Vice"!!!:rofl:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
One update about checkpoints, yesterday as we got to Sonoyta the Police had a checkpoint, as always under the sign as you enter town from RP, anyway, I asked the policeman and he said that if there are any checkpoints now and in the past few days they are set up as the night comes and mainly stopping mexican cars, they are letting the american cars go thru unless they notice something suspicious, so as some has mention, it is not that they have stopped any safety measurements they just have their way of doing it and they know why are they doing them that way, because that is the way it is and it is the way that it is!!
I do not consider myself a RP cheerleader, just try to enjoy my slice of heaven!! :eek3: