Penasco to Caborca to La Primavera and back

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ is "Trincheras" <--spelling??? anywhere near where you were??? The reason I asked is that there is a boarding school/orphanage in the forementioned town that has heard of what we do for the schools here in Puerto Penasco and the Presedente has asked if we could somehow help them out a little, he even mentioned that if we would visit, the town would throw a fiesta in our honor....

We want to, and will be helping them soon... but we are just trying to find out more about this little town... any info would be appreciated...
When we were in Pitiquito we were only about 30 -45 minutes away fro Trincheras. We didn't make it this time due to timing constraints but plan on going when things slow down a bit

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
This is from an official guide book to Sonora regarding Trincheras.

"At the bottom of a hill, where at a time, some 2000 people lived we can find a picturesque town that is home to 400 families.
The new settlers are committed to agriculture, mining and cattle, specially for milk production that is use mostly in the elaboration of cheese, their ancestors were members of the Trincheras Culture, which distinguished itself mainly for the construction that they mad on the hills, constructions that nobody knows exactly their original purpose.
We find them only in Arizona and New Mexico in the United States and Chihuahua and Sonora in Mexico. The trincheras consist of separated hill that are crowned with elaborated walls of stone and terraces; occasionally there will be a hollow in the ground"

anyway it goes on a little bit longer and says nothing too much about what is going on there today. If you want I will give a you a full report when I go there later in the month. Let me know

Roberto

I visited the community of Trincheras about 2 years ago. It's a very quaint town that you can easily see was very grand at one time. Wide streets that were tree lined and some grand but now abandoned homes and a plaza. There are signs of irrigation but we saw no agriculture in the immediate area.

There is a large working gold mine nearby. The day we visited a shipment from the mine was hijacked, news said worth $60,000,000 !! I wondered why the police were giving us the fish eye when we stopped by the road to have a picnic. Since then I have collected a number of archeological publications about the trincheras found in Mexico and the US. I even have a CD with coordinates publshed! Very interesting stuff. There is a staute dedicated there to one of my friend Armando Murrieta's relatives.

Yes one of the little, by-way towns of Mexico with a rich and long history.

I visited the community of Trincheras about 2 years ago. It's a very quaint town that you can easily see was very grand at one time. Wide streets that were tree lined and some grand but now abandoned homes and a plaza. There are signs of irrigation but we saw no agriculture in the immediate area.

There is a large working gold mine nearby. The day we visited a shipment from the mine was hijacked, news said worth $60,000,000 !! I wondered why the police were giving us the fish eye when we stopped by the road to have a picnic. Since then I have collected a number of archeological publications about the trincheras found in Mexico and the US. I even have a CD with coordinates publshed! Very interesting stuff. There is a staute dedicated there to one of my friend Armando Murrieta's relatives.

Yes one of the little, by-way towns of Mexico with a rich and long history.
Very Cool Roberto... Thanks for the info... I do have one concern, I have heard that there may be some narco traffic in that area... would appreciate any reports on this???

Hi there MexicoRuss,

I just saw your pictures of your trip to Caborca. I love the old villages and it looked like one. My husband and I are exploring where we want to settle. I speak Spanish fluently and my husband has heard it for 37 years of marriage to me with Spanish speaking friends and in Mexico. Do you know if now, it is still safe driving in the day time in the villages between PP and Caborca? The drive to Libertad, etc. I would just love seeing these villages. We are making our second trip to PP the week starting June 11 and are systematically exploring different places where we are considering settling. Oh, I love Mexican neighbors, sorry, not U.S. neighbors when I am in Mexico.

SunDevil

So the road from Sasabe to Altar is not completed? 10 miles left?

What is the situation in Altar and should it be completely avoided?

Thanks.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Mark,
I would be up for this, if I can get the time off if it's before my retirement..........I speak passable Spanish.....

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Caborca

Hi there MexicoRuss,

I just saw your pictures of your trip to Caborca. I love the old villages and it looked like one. My husband and I are exploring where we want to settle. I speak Spanish fluently and my husband has heard it for 37 years of marriage to me with Spanish speaking friends and in Mexico. Do you know if now, it is still safe driving in the day time in the villages between PP and Caborca? The drive to Libertad, etc. I would just love seeing these villages. We are making our second trip to PP the week starting June 11 and are systematically exploring different places where we are considering settling. Oh, I love Mexican neighbors, sorry, not U.S. neighbors when I am in Mexico.
I travel with complete freedom in Mexico. There has not been any problems that I know of between PP and Caborca. I travel it often and actually conduct tours of the area. Know where you are, make friends, keep your eyes open and stay away from things that look like you are in the biz if you know what I mean
Salud!

Russ, We are going to be down in PP at Posada la Roca in the Malecon area this next week starting June 11. Do you have an office for your business? Could we come by and say hi. I love your attitude about Mexico. Janet
[email protected]

Hi there MexicoRuss,

While Caborca has a long and coloful history, it is not a small village. It's a city much larger than Penasco, with a population of probably 150,000 and quite a bit of commerce. Pueblo Viejo is the section of town with the Mission, scene of a battle between Mexicans and Americans. One can still see the bulletholes in the walls. I can second what Russ said: all the roads are safe for you to drive. You can go to Caborca, Pitiquito, Trincheras, Altar, Oquitoa, Desemboque, Magdalena, Saric, Imuris, Tubutama and Atil. With the exception of Caborca, they are all quaint villages and you would be safe both on the road to and from and while visiting. I would avoid Sasabe and Nogales.

jerry

While Caborca has a long and coloful history, it is not a small village. It's a city much larger than Penasco, with a population of probably 150,000 and quite a bit of commerce. Pueblo Viejo is the section of town with the Mission, scene of a battle between Mexicans and Americans. One can still see the bulletholes in the walls. I can second what Russ said: all the roads are safe for you to drive. You can go to Caborca, Pitiquito, Trincheras, Altar, Oquitoa, Desemboque, Magdalena, Saric, Imuris, Tubutama and Atil. With the exception of Caborca, they are all quaint villages and you would be safe both on the road to and from and while visiting. I would avoid Sasabe and Nogales.
kenny and i were at y griega (they are building a real motel!) and things seemed cool. I hear bad stuff about altar all the time...the good guys and the bads are trouble...
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.elsoldecaborca.info/
go to page 2 of the horror stories.maybe Russ can organize a Narco sicario tour?
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=narco sicario sonora&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

cool everyplace else but stick to Caborca and the coast

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We were thinking of an amusement park like disneyland called Caborcaland. There are a lot of nice haciendas to visit. Many million dollar homes that I am sure Jerry and Kenny would enjoy visiting, I will guide you one way. lol

Caborca is a great town to visit.

It is not scary!

The desert is great around there.

It is worth a visit!

I am going back next week

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Russ, are you back in PP? it took me a second to recognized you, was good to see you even if it was in the intersection and for a second or two, next time let me know and will get together for a bite or a beer!!

jerry

Russ flat out if you are telling people the roads around Altar are safe you are doing a disservice to the readers...read the paper and go that way more than once a year and you will find the cops are crooks past Caborca (east) hell ask any Mexican trucker

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ flat out if you are telling people the roads around Altar are safe you are doing a disservice to the readers...read the paper and go that way more than once a year and you will find the cops are crooks past Caborca (east) hell ask any Mexican trucker
Jerry I disagree! Totally disagree! I dont trust authority on either side, I know that I travel safe, I know what my reality is.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ, are you back in PP? it took me a second to recognized you, was good to see you even if it was in the intersection and for a second or two, next time let me know and will get together for a bite or a beer!!
Yeah we were in Tucson for a hospital deal with family members that lost 2 on I-10 on Monday. I dont have my van signs on when I am in the states it causes problems but it was nice tosee you. Are you coming down this weekend? I will be around~

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I dont go just once a year, I go all the time!

jerry

I dont go just once a year, I go all the time!
Not sure how much road time you have around Altar-Tubatama but believe me the cops are running games, travelers have been getting jacked in altar (one 88 year old american woman had her car taken and she was left outside of town 4 months ago....read thel Caborca paper I linked to and tell me it is not crazy down there.