Port Lobos?

don

Well Known Member
Towards the end of this month we'll be making a trip to Port Lobos, and since I've never been there and some of you Ladies and Gentlemen have and information you could share would be great!

For instance, is drinking water and ice readily available?

We'll be down there for about a week and would you guys recommend taking a tt (and generator) for living quarters (shower, cooking, sleeping) and fish out of inflatables or skip the tt idea and take down a larger boat and inflatables, and camp on the shore?

Suggestions?

Thank you for your input!

playaperro

El Pirata
Puerto Lobos is one windy Bahia, pretty sure I can get someone on here to second that. You never know when the wind is going to kick up. Why risk it if you don't
know the wind condition and area. Rent a boat ask around, you will be glad you did.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Your best bet would be to contact asprinkles here on the forum he has a place down there and has been there more than any of us I would venture to say...
I contacted Leigh last week and we've email back and forth quite a bit. I'd asked him about the little store, but we got off on other subjects and never got back to it. I also have the names of a couple of local fishermen besides Ted and Tom who would be available if that's the route we wanted to go. I also have a ace in the hole in Santo Tomas (Jerry's place) and with the new hwy it's a short drive.
I've spent the first part of June down in Santo Tomas the past 4 years or so, and there's no question that it can get windy down that way in the spring, but right now it's all positive vibes. We're due!

Last edited by a moderator:

jerry

Well Known Member
Kenny there is a sort of store/gas from a drum place....beer too if a person needs a sun headache.Don screw hauling all that stuff..just use my place half the time..I hope to make it down for a few days with my new Auction bargain ATV...if it works out...I'm bringing Robertos cooktop down so plan on stopping off to pee in the pool at one of the planet killing unfinished faulty Condo towers too.

I contacted Leigh last week and we've email back and forth quite a bit. I'd asked him about the little store, but we got off on other subjects and never got back to it. I also have the names of a couple of local fishermen besides Ted and Tom who would be available if that's the route we wanted to go. I also have a ace in the hole in Santo Tomas (Jerry's place) and with the new hwy it's a short drive.
I've spent the first part of June down in Santo Tomas the past 4 years or so, and there's no question that it can get windy down that way in the spring, but right now it's all positive vibes. We're due!
Kenny... right out in front of Leigh's between his place and the end of the point the lighthouse is on, is some of the coolest free diving I've done here in the Sea of Cortez... be sure to bring a mask, snorkel and fins and check it out at low tide... we saw everything from Cortez damsils to a manta ray... it was Awesome...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny

Well Known Member
Kenny... right out in front of Leigh's between his place and the end of the point the lighthouse is on, is some of the coolest free diving I've done here in the Sea of Cortez... be sure to bring a mask, snorkel and fins and check it out at low tide... we saw everything from Cortez damsils to a manta ray... it was Awesome...
You posted a video of that dive drift didn't you Mark?

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Thanks again Mark for posting that video- I always kept that in mind, but thought Lobos was too far away. Now with the Coastal Highway, it's only an hour and a half from our house in Miramar, so I can't wait to try snorkeling there. Also, someone posted incredible pictures from fishing tuna- are there fisherman who take people out fishing?

Kenny

Well Known Member
Thanks again Mark for posting that video- I always kept that in mind, but thought Lobos was too far away. Now with the Coastal Highway, it's only an hour and a half from our house in Miramar, so I can't wait to try snorkeling there. Also, someone posted incredible pictures from fishing tuna- are there fisherman who take people out fishing?
Ted has a charter along with a cute little cabin to stay in plus other amenities, but I can get his site to come up right now.http://www.lobosfishing.com/Lobos_Fishing/Home.html.
Here's another that a friend recently went out with and he had a great time; and those pictures you saw might have been posted by Jerry of him catching Yellowfin...Where is Puerto Lobos Fishing Adventures on the Beautiful Sea of Cortez

Kenny

Well Known Member
Kenny there is a sort of store/gas from a drum place
We drove past that place last year but couldn't tell what all they had Jerry, but it didn't look like much. Joe and I didn't get a chance to fish at all if you remember, because of the wind. We waited around for Ted a little, he was to be right back, but he didn't show. We did get a chance to meet and speak briefly with Leigh, but he was about ready to head out. Timing is everything.

don

Well Known Member
Hey Mark,
I tried to find your video, saw the of the lighthouse, but no drift dive. Do you remember the date? Both my Son and I dive so; Kenny are you up to a shallow dive, really shallow?

Kenny

Well Known Member
ted can be reached at 602 809 3243:p
Thanks a lot Dan.....Don gave him a call and found out he's not doing the charter deal any longer and that's why his sites down, but he had some good info and insights about Lobo's for us.

don

Well Known Member
Cool video Mark!
Thanks posting it again. My Son and I just finished watching it, and we're definitely taking snorkel gear. Kenny, do you have any gear?

Yes Dan, thank you!
Ted was quite helpful and will be there at the same time. So, we'll snag up (intended), learn about Lobos, fish, snorkel, dive (Kenny?) and enjoy Mexico.

jerry

Well Known Member
Being a Charter Captain must make you get really sick of guys that come down from Phoenix just to "Slay Fish" take a few...leave the rest

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
NO HAY TUNA, they are NOT tuna. Yellowtail Im pretty sure are in the Jack family...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Kenny there is a sort of store/gas from a drum place....beer too if a person needs a sun headache.Don screw hauling all that stuff..just use my place half the time..I hope to make it down for a few days with my new Auction bargain ATV...if it works out...I'm bringing Robertos cooktop down so plan on stopping off to pee in the pool at one of the planet killing unfinished faulty Condo towers too.

If we're talking about the gas from a drum place in ST dont count on that being reliable because I couldnt find it and I barely made it back to las conchas on fumes!!! The two gallons Jerry siphoned out of something for me actually saved my ass!!! Next time down that way Ill make sure I have a full tank before heading south!!