ProAlliance Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

apricot

She then can explain to us, her customers what took place.
Even though I am not a client of Rosie's, I would like to hear an explantation as to what exactly took place when everything gets figured out. I am a condo owner and am concerned that surrounding units may have one of these cancelled Mapfre policies. As even Rosie has said, most condo damage is from water damage due to broken plumbing, overflowing jacuzzi's/bathtubs, etc. I have had water damage to my unit caused by an overflowing jacuzzi in the unit above me.

So my point is that anybody who owns a condo here, whether they have their insurance with Rosie or somebody else, should be concerned about this issue.

It seems to me that the HOA boards at every resort should be alerting their owners to this issue. Also, Seaside and any other rental agency should be concerned as well since owners who rent out their units are required yearly to show proof of insurance before they can rent their unit out.

az-dan

Good point anyone with a Mapfre policy should check. I've been in the rental pool for 5 years and no one has ever asked for my policy, I have it for my own peace of mind.

apricot

Good point anyone with a Mapfre policy should check. I've been in the rental pool for 5 years and no one has ever asked for my policy, I have it for my own peace of mind.
That's interesting. When we were with Seaside, we had to provide proof yearly that we had our insurance up to date.

Not only those with Mapfre should check, everyone should. Apricot, you make a very good point about wanting to know that your neighbors carry insurance. The truth is that most condo owners are not insured. Even if all is well with your condo policy, there could be major problems with the HOA master policy.

You're right, Larry. I'll scale back. I truly don't have disdain for the process, so much as for those who think they're doing their 'civic duty' by asking questions which I cannot yet answer. Az Dan is right...no matter what the situation, time will tell. These people who don't know me claim to know what I did, what I think and what I spent the money on. I apologize to the rest of you for this crap, just as I do to my clients. I'll try to follow your advice, but it's hard to resist my natural tendency to...well...you know...especially right now that I need an emotional outlet.

apricot

Not only those with Mapfre should check, everyone should. Apricot, you make a very good point about wanting to know that your neighbors carry insurance. The truth is that most condo owners are not insured. Even if all is well with your condo policy, there could be major problems with the HOA master policy.
Condo insurance is fairly inexpensive. Maybe the HOA's should be checking to make sure everybody has insurance since water damage from broken plumbing and overflowing jacuzzi's can cause major damage to surrounding units. I know in the US some HOA's do verify that their owners have insurance. You brought that up the point about the master policy earlier and it really made me think twice. I think it would be best for all of us condo owners to check with our HOA and look into the master policy....that's a pretty scary thought that there could be major problems with an HOA master policy.

joanC

Holy crap! For lack of a better idea as to where to begin, I'll start with this one:

- Why were so many policies not paid? How many? We've been auditing (ever since first informed of the issue) and have thus far had to inform 12 clients (out of thousands) that although they paid their policy, the payment was not credited to Mapfre. As to who screwed up...I intend to find out for sure, but frankly, between the audit and responding to client inquiries, that will have to wait.

- Where did the money go? Of course the checks were signed by us. Each and every payment received has been noted in the client file. It seems the disconnect has been in the application of payments with the underwriter. It's important that everyone understand that the discrepancy is ONLY with a small number of Mapfre Tepeyac policies. I am personally calling those affected to speak with them and offer them a full refund or a new policy at no cost.

**This issue has NOTHING to do with auto policies, driver's license policies or ACE policies.

- If a claim had occurred with no coverage... what recourse would an insured have in Mexico? Well, I'm not leaving town. I have goals (business, personal and political yet to realize). I've managed to live 63 years without ripping anyone off, so the liability would've been MINE, had anyone with an invalid policy had a claim. Ethically, morally and personally. It is the way I've always conducted myself and can prove it. I must point out that just in the last year we've had

- Is ProAlliance in a position to pay for claims not covered by an insurance policy (ex. with the recent storms, just a few dwellings and we are talking a few hundred thousand in damage)? ProAlliance, maybe not, but Rosie Glover...yes. By the way, all storm damage is covered by HYDRO PHENOMENA and only ACE offers that coverage, so the question is moot because NO ACE POLICIES have been compromised at all. With Mapfre it's a non-issue. Let me point out that most storm damage is to the building itself and therefore the liability lies with the resort Master Policy. As worrisome as storm damage is, it's the least-frequent seen claim. The biggest cost and most frequent claims are for burst plumbing that damages several condos below it. We've NEVER had a claim that wasn't paid...but to answer your question as to whether we could afford it if our clients had had a claim...the average claim amount is under $1,000.

- Why where clients not notified they had no insurance (it took an email from a resort to find out)? You are mistaken. Las Palomas could have (and in my opinion should have) contacted me directly to report the issue. They didn't. Ultimately they did us all a favor because we're now conducting an audit and revamping our process to eliminate any possibility of this happening again. A client came to me in August with a discrepancy in his policy. I personally refunded his money. After my check cleared, he called me with what I consider an extortion attempt. He wanted me to reimburse him every premium he'd paid over the years, even though we could prove those policies had been paid. He threatened to make a big stink at the condos and he also threatened to report us to Hacienda (Mexican IRS). I refused. I knew that we would have to conduct an audit and make everything right with our clients. To pay a guy 'hush money' is ridiculous and I cannot imagine ever buying into that.

So...when that guy went to Las Palomas they opted to release an email to ALL OWNERS rather than contact me. My lawyer fired off a certified letter to them and we began the tedious audit process and the notification of clients who were affected. I will post a letter to clients that I posted on that day. At the time we'd only found 6 policies that hadn't been paid. To date, we've found 12. Excluding the Extortionist, only one client has not agreed to let us give him a new annual policy (at my expense). That said, I'm sorry to lose even one. Not because of the income but because I believe wholeheartedly that for condo insurance, ProAlliance remains the best option.

-Why did it take rumors for clients to find out 'pro-actively' that they did not have insurance? As mentioned above, we have lots of clients and we've got to go through each and every one. Mapfre sent us a list, but that list included policies that were legitimately cancelled (client never paid us). The audit is going in alphabetical order, yet we are stopping to address the inquiries when someone contacts us directly. The vast majority of clients have contacted us directly to ask about their policy status.

- Why a sudden switch in carriers? Is the current carrier suspending service to ProAlliance or is it a voluntary switch to a different carrier? It isn't a 'sudden switch'. We've sold ACE policies as long as we've been in business. This situation is difficult. As far as I'm concerned, Mapfre's reaction has been less than helpful. When all this first came to light I spoke with them at length. A few years ago they up and decided to no longer offer HYDRO coverage. This created a problem for some of our clients. Claims have been taking too long to process and of course we bear the brunt of the client's frustration. Other carriers such as ACE are written in English, paid directly to the underwriter with a credit card number and is the policy we've found to be most like policies in the U.S. I've been a high-producer for Mapfre for over 9 years. I asked them for time to complete our audit and to call each client personally. Request denied. Last year, our contact within that organization lost his battle with cancer. Since then I've not found the relationship to replace the one we had.

- Who cashed the checks and did not apply payment to the policies (is fraud involved)? Checks were made out to me, endorsed by me and deposited in my account. I can assure you that with the average condo policy in the range of less than $150 dollars annually, it's isn't a lucrative business as far as scams go. It appears to have been an honest mistake. I'm not ruling out that someone may have screwed up, though. Policies aren't paid for (us to the carrier) one at a time. Once or twice a month I'll deposit a few thousand dollars for a block of policies. In fact, the bank limits us to $3,000 a pop. We are then issued one receipt for that block. This makes the audit take longer because we must take each receipt and confirm which policies are paid in that particular block. If someone screwed up, I'll deal with it, but the responsibility is all mine and I don't hide from that. I will make things right for all involved.

- Why has their been limited information from the insurance agency (Pro-Alliance)? Uhh...because we're busy putting out fires? Conducting an audit, responding to inquiries and researching bank records...in addition to our regular daily grind.

- How long of a lapse did most of these policies in question have? It varies. Remember we're talking about 12 policies so far. A couple were almost due to renew and others had recently been emitted.

- Is it customary to write a check out to the agency rather than the carrier? Our clients have never written a check to ProAlliance. As is customary in Mexico, my legal name is my fiscal business name and the name on my business account. In recent years it's become increasingly difficult to cash foreign checks. Also, Mexican banks are very persnickety about checks that have poor penmanship, words crossed out, etc. Americans (don't know about Canadians) are used to crossing things out and initialing the error. Taking checks in my own name (in essence cashing checks for my clients) began as a courtesy...especially when clients order policies from home and want to deposit in my account up north

How does a client know if their policy is active (does one just rely on the agency)? Obviously there are some who have called the carrier directly. Others have called us to inquire and on some occasions we've had to inform them that there's a problem and offer them the refund or a new policy. I'm eternally grateful to all those who have opted for a new policy. That new policy was sent to them along with proof of deposit in the Mapfre bank account. Unlike I related above, this time we wrote one check for each policy so each would have its own receipt and then we sent a copy of that receipt to the client with their policy. If they call me or the office, we'll pull their file to check and let them know the status. I'm guessing we'll find more than the 12, but don't expect it will be 20 or more.

littlejoni

User is currently banned
My partner and me agree with you all who say we should give Proalliance some more time to explain all this plus the policies with fiction numbers and pay everybody back for the money they lost.

We want to give them our insurance business if they done nothing wrong, but we sure don't want to give business to anyone if we might get cheated. We had this happen to us in New Mexico when the accountant never paid our money for our taxes. Next thing we knew he was in jail for 7 years and our money was gone so we had to pay twice plus penalty. No more of that, thanks !

T and me need to renew our Las Conchas house insurance soon. What do you all think would be the right fair amount of time to give them to explain and pay back all the money they got by mistake?

That is a good question. I suppose it depends if Rosie is doing an in house audit with her own staff and herself or if she is hiring an outside individual to do the audit.

littlejoni

User is currently banned
It looks like this all came to the top of the stinkin pile round about Sep 24, the best part of a month back.

Do you figure a month should be enough ?

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
add your name to the FBI??? Why would the FBI be involved? Do you know anything about this Rosy, have any of your clients threatened this?

Holy crap. We just seen this on the craigslist advertising for renting our house.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/vac/4719869607.html
My apologies and I mean no ill will but but I just can't stand it. Little Joni: you cannot "seen" something. You may HAVE seen it because seen is past tense. "We just saw this on Craigslist" would be correct. Verbally I hear people say "I seen the car go by" and I cringe, " I saw the car go by" or "I have seen the car" works.

My constructive criticism on grammar will now cease for the rest of the year.

jerry

My apologies and I mean no ill will but but I just can't stand it. Little Joni: you cannot "seen" something. You may HAVE seen it because seen is past tense. "We just saw this on Craigslist" would be correct. Verbally I hear people say "I seen the car go by" and I cringe, " I saw the car go by" or "I have seen the car" works.

My constructive criticism on grammar will now cease for the rest of the year.
He done seen it because he or his kin done posted it.....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh my frigging God! Will you guys quit beating this dead horse and let Rosie straighten this out? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.