Puerto Penasco Highland

GringoZona

Well Known Member
OMG, this is like...just absolutely insane. Skyscrapers??? And all of these yachts jetting around. Umm, you have to see to believe. This would have been laughable in 2005—but in 2009’s market?? Speechless. I've only watched the first of three videos, but they do have 1000 views in two weeks on that one, which is kinda' scary. (About 7:00 is when the laughs start.)

They should just call this place The Money Pit. Pie-in-the-sky computer animation (the cactus-shaped marina was a nice touch) mixed with photos and videos of exotic resort locales.

I'm all for growth in Penasco, but the thought of another giant project like this that will probably never get completed and leaves US investors with a bad taste in their mouth will just be another adversity for those trying to sell legit properties in the future. And another eyesore on the horizon.

Btw, was San Jorge going to be one of those ports that Mexico announced recently that was not going to be completed after all?

OK, on to part 2.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
OK, just watched parts 2 and 3. Classic. Massive golf courses...OH, and the cactus-shaped extension into the ocean is for HOMES. A broken semi-circle strip of land surrounds the cactus with more homes. Yeah, that'll happen. All they need is flying cars, jet packs and a monorail.

"Jane, stop this crazy thing!"

ernesto

Well Known Member
Apparently not everyone shares your pessimism. Where are all the baby boomers going to find a place to retire? Rockford Illinois? Miami? San Diego? Lots of doomsayers, I say any place within driving distance to a major US metropolitan city that has a beach with reasonable prices might be a hit?

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Sea--No, get it out in the open! It's good for everyone to be aware of what's getting pitched out there. Reminds me of that Trump fiasco that went down on the west coast of Baja.

Worst case scenario would be if the company builds that awful cactus and wave-breaking strips of land in the ocean and then files for bankruptcy. Would sit there and rust for years to come.

Last edited:

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Ernesto--

What I'm saying is, as you well know, Penasco already has several half-finished projects that are just sitting (on Sandy Beach alone!) w/ no construction going on, not to mention the projects that are finished but can't get buyers. AND, then you have all of those condos for sale now at 1/3 of their purchase price. Just saying, Penasco isn't exactly a town that needs to be building on new land at this point.

Not even going to get into the projects that went bankrupt; there are others on the board that are more versed in that aspect of Penasco's real estate crash.

Don’t get me wrong, I still want my jetpack and monorail, just don’t think it’s a realistic project for folks to be throwing money at in 2009.

Last edited:
Sea--No, get it out in the open! It's good for everyone to be aware of what's getting pitched out there. Reminds me of that Trump fiasco that went down on the west coast of Baja.

Worst case scenario would be if the company builds that awful cactus and wave-breaking strips of land in the ocean and then files for bankruptcy. Would sit there and rust for years to come.
I agree... it looks like a dream world... but the video I watched was in spanish... is this being pitched to a mainly Mexican audience?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Ho-hum. Somebody's been smoking too much of that whacky tobacky now that it's not illegal anymore.

20 years ago, I was given the "sales pitch" on buying a lot at San Jorge while fishing there. Inside the trailer, there was a grandiose poster on the wall, artist conception's of beautiful homes, a full-scale marina, luxury golf course, etc., etc. All of that could have been mine for a mere $16,000 at the time. Much to the chagrin of the salesman, I declined that wonderful offer.

And today, the beach at San Jorge looks pretty much like it did 20 years ago.

I always questioned how they would build a marina there. When the tide goes out in San Jorge, it goes waaaaaay the hell out! There is nothing but miles of sand flats there and the water, even when the tide is in, is not but a few feet deep for quite a distance.

I've had some interesting experiences fishing out of there on pangas. One morning, it took to nearly noon to get launched. They used a jeep to tow the panga out across the sand flats and the trailer ended up getting stuck in a small channel in the flats. Even after getting to some water deep enough to actually float the panga off the trailer, most of the trip out to the island was in water less than a few feet deep. You could practically walk out to the island from San Jorge on a very low tide.

So, to even consider building a marina, they would have to dredge miles of sand in order to build a channel deep enough for a decent size boat to even get close to San Jorge. Let alone all the dredging they would have to do to build the marina itself in order to keep the boats from sitting on the sand at low tide.

It's all about selling the dream, I suppose.

B

bahiatrader

Shouldn't this thread be in the Real Estate section? I got stuck out there too with my 4X4 at the direction of my Mexican buddy. I was offered a fantastic deal out there too. Even if they dredged channels the upkeep would be horrific.

Attachments

GringoZona

Well Known Member
HAHAHAH...OK, I was wondering how those large boats were supposed to be jetting around so close to the shore, but I've never been to San Jorge.

I guess "computer animation and random grabs of Google images on YouTube" is the new "poster in the sales trailer."

"Puerto Penasco Highland" The name alone makes me wonder... :confused: "HIGH" land :cool:...

bahiatrader your avitar looks familiar... where have I seen you before?

Last edited:

La Pequena Hermana

Well Known Member
"It's all about the dream, I suppose."
We have some old plans from the late 60's,early 70's that show a marina and several proposed hotels around the estuary in Las Conchas. Dreams...Yes.Life is made of them!
Thanks Stuart for bringing back memories!
And, Happy 'Late" Birthday!

B

bahiatrader

I've been hanging around Rocky Point for a few years Seadweller. I don't believe we ever met underwater. My avatar on San Carlos' Forum, Poker Stars, and eBay is the same.