Puerto Penasco shutting down. What have you heard?

azdiva

Well Known Member
Keep informed... a good source of news and info is the San Diego Tribune. www.sandiegouniontribune.com . Their city is so connected
to border issues with their employment, commerce and a major intl airport. Any border problems they are the first to report from the ground.
be safe

kahunito

Got a notice from my property manager that they are going to shut the water valves off as there is no renters in the foreseeable future. Usually this time of year is busy.
We could get through a slow season but what about the locals? No restaurant, bar or shopping income and what about the cleaners?
Are there enough retirees still there to help the local economy? Are the beaches closing down going to hurt things? I hope this thing passes fast.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Got a notice from my property manager that they are going to shut the water valves off as there is no renters in the foreseeable future. Usually this time of year is busy.
We could get through a slow season but what about the locals? No restaurant, bar or shopping income and what about the cleaners?
Are there enough retirees still there to help the local economy? Are the beaches closing down going to hurt things? I hope this thing passes fast.
The border being closed is hurting things. The beaches being closed doesn't help. Most tourists travel to RP for the beaches. No, a few retirees won't help the economy from free fall. Here in Vegas we are bracing for a 2008 type recession, possibly a 1929 type depression. It is going to be bad for the whole world, not just the locals in Rocky Point.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
See ya Rocky Point. This is worse than the financial crisis of 2008 economically. Rocky Point will be a ghost town again unfortunately. Sad. I think reality is setting in. This is a very surreal time in American history.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I look around my hood.....I don't see people in panic mode. I just got back from grocery shopping this morning, nobody was in panic mode. There was plenty of food and plenty of toilet paper although there was a sign in English that said no more than 3 packages per cart. My friends here the locals live very close to the ground most do not have a high lifestyle so when things go downhill they can adapt more easily than if you are in a big mortgage...car payments...gotta have the newest things...mode. Take care of yourselves and don't be overly concerned about us. The town has taken harsh reality steps to combat this thing, the hood is quiet and traffic is almost non-existent. When the storm clears we will be back, better than ever. Check out the video that came out last week in response to this crisis. It is fun and up-building. VIDEO

brokenwave

Well Known Member
In the US there were many people who became paper millionaires over the past 5 years and are now watching it unravel before their eyes.
How this trickles down to RP, hopefully won't destroy the economy in Mexico.
A simpler life style is very appealing right now.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Naomi and I live a very simple lifestyle. All of our obligations amount to about 850.00 usd per month. That's food, water, electric, internet...pretty much everything but travel..
.that's extra...its not for everybody but it works for us and especially now!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I figure if my family had to live at our place in Cholla, we could do it for $1,200 per month easily.
So we have a plan B, just in case.

Maduro steve

Well Known Member
In the US there were many people who became paper millionaires over the past 5 years and are now watching it unravel before their eyes.
How this trickles down to RP, hopefully won't destroy the economy in Mexico.
A simpler life style is very appealing right now.
You only lose if sell , it will come back when dust settles and the election is over , my bet it will come back like gang busters . Relax !!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
It always does, but this time it will be different from what happened in past downturns,
this time it's happening much, much quicker than anytime before.
Also those in power by still dragging their feet which is accelerating this mess.

Maduro steve

Well Known Member
It's funny we didn't hear any of this back in 2009 when the other guy was in charge and 18,000 died , hell l just got the update that 23,000 have died in this year's influenza out break , why isn't anybody talking about that??

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
It's funny we didn't hear any of this back in 2009 when the other guy was in charge and 18,000 died , hell l just got the update that 23,000 have died in this year's influenza out break , why isn't anybody talking about that??
Possibly because it doesn’t travel as fast as covid - 19 or could it be the virus can live on surfaces for up to 3 days. Just might be that you can be a carrier and not know. How about it take 14 days to find out if your sick. I’m sure there is a few more reason we dont here of the flu related deaths.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
A bit more info is needed on that statement. Here is a quote from the CDC response to the H1N1 flu in 2009.

"The agency said the first case was reported on April 15, 2009, and the government declared H1N1 a public health emergency on the April 26. The first test to detect the new virus was approved by the FDA two days later. Shipments of the new CDC test began May 1".

It took Obama team 11 days to spring into action. (I'm not a big Obama fan either)
Current guy in charge was saying the CV-19 was just the flu in early Feb and by April it would be over,
NOT going to happen, it won't peak for 4-6 weeks? longer? Now 6 weeks later he changed his tune.

So compared to the 2009 we're still in the first couple of innings of the ball game. Swine flu, it took 16-18 months to run it's course
Only in 2012 did all the numbers get compiled together on how bad the 2009-10 Swine flu really was.

Maduro steve

Well Known Member
Npr really . 60 million infected 18,000 dead and nothing close to level of hysteria that media has put out on the airwaves . They have caused all this panic buying at the stores . I blame those fear mongers .

rplarry

Well Known Member
A bit more info is needed on that statement. Here is a quote from the CDC response to the H1N1 flu in 2009.

"The agency said the first case was reported on April 15, 2009, and the government declared H1N1 a public health emergency on the April 26. The first test to detect the new virus was approved by the FDA two days later. Shipments of the new CDC test began May 1".

It took Obama team 11 days to spring into action. (I'm not a big Obama fan either)
Current guy in charge was saying the CV-19 was just the flu in early Feb and by April it would be over,
NOT going to happen, it won't peak for 4-6 weeks? longer? Now 6 weeks later he changed his tune.

So compared to the 2009 we're still in the first couple of innings of the ball game. Swine flu, it took 16-18 months to run it's course
Only in 2012 did all the numbers get compiled together on how bad the 2009-10 Swine flu really was.
Very historically accurate article, written by an MD out of Denver. He does a comparison time-wise as to where swine flu and covid reactions were by the federal govt and the massive difference in MEDIA HYPE.

Not downplaying the seriousness of those who are seriously affected, however seems the media is playing a role with the hysteria. Fox, CNN, et al.

And the US and Penasco economy are being devastated.

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
Npr really . 60 million infected 18,000 dead and nothing close to level of hysteria that media has put out on the airwaves . They have caused all this panic buying at the stores . I blame those fear mongers .
I agree with you 100%. The media doesn't want you to compare so they keep this generation in the dark.
Thanks for bringing it up. No matter what the disease look at the number infected and the true deaths.
The only reason this one is different it wasn't know early enough to have shot for it.
But again the numbers are low compared to past viruses.