Rocky Point maps

JoseAz

Is anyone interested in developing some updated maps of Rocky Point? I've been going down for 30 years and still have trouble finding places (with rusted street signs and hidden altos :)

I want to find the seafood processing place, the restaurants, the hardware stores, the medical facilities, the boat ramps...... all the stuff discussed in this forum. Could we collaborate, post and update some kind of mapping - maybe like the old fashioned grid notebooks showing the macro then micro street guides?

It wouldn't have to be fancy at first....sections with text boxes and arrows to points of interest? different layers for restaurants, points of interest, tourist support services....

What do you think?

Roberto

Getting 'lost' has always been part of the charm of travels for me. Serendipity finds are often the best.!!

mis2810

I think the maps are a good idea for people who have limited time down there. It would help a lot. But everytime I go looking for one place, I see another 2 that I've heard about but didn't know exactly where they were. Me in the car: "Oooohhhhh, that's where ___________ is!!!!!"

Roberto

Be nice to have an accurate and complete map but there are actually good maps printed in both the RP Times and Join Us. Shows the streets accurately and some locations but the absence of street signs in many parts of town creates a problem. A problem with developing one here is maintaining the accuracy over a time period. Places move and some close and new one open. It's sort of like the signs all over town on closed businesses.

Roberto

Here's a map for a good start :):):) Locations could be listed with name and type, noting the intersection on this map.

Banking:
Santander Bank, Calle 13 and Benito Juarez.
Restaurants:
Capones, Sinaloa and Quintana Roo

Don Julios, Fremont and .......

http://www.rptimes.com/maps/

Last edited:
A map would be great,
I was driving down Benito Jauarz 3 weeks ago and about 4-5 blocks south
of the Santa Fe market there is a store with Mexican wood furniture out front.

I stopped by on Friday they have or will make anything wood for you, furniture, kitchen cabinets and doors.
Some nice looking quality stuff and great prices as well.

I asked how long they were at the current location, he said in perfect English 6 years!
I was floored as I drive that part of BJ every trip down.

The name of the place is Fortaleza Del Sol, they have a facebook page with their catalog and recent work.
I will have them qoute my Cholla house kitchen re-model this spring.

If you have any cabinet doors that need touching up he (Santiago) said they can repair
and match pretty much any stain finish combo.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Those guys on Benito are great we have several pieces from them in our barrio house. I would check on the installation of cabinets as it may not be up to your standards. This is purely a heads up. I am a carpenter (in another life) and have had to repair a few installs for friends. Not necessarily installs from these guys but just in general, it is a bit different the way I have seen it done here.

Russ,
Standards, I don't have no stinking standards. LOL.

As long as they do a decent job I will be happy, Yeah they do alot of things differently down here.
I just witnessed my guy force fitting 3 new window frames in rather than opening the space a bit.
Asked him about it and he said I am the window guy. LOL again
They all work and are square and level, I just hope I don't get broken in again anytime soon here in Cholla,
because they will be really tough to remove. In for life.

jerry

Those guys on Benito are great we have several pieces from them in our barrio house. I would check on the installation of cabinets as it may not be up to your standards. This is purely a heads up. I am a carpenter (in another life) and have had to repair a few installs for friends. Not necessarily installs from these guys but just in general, it is a bit different the way I have seen it done here.
As a general rule Mexican carpenters seem to view level as a bridge too far.

I may have a map that I drew in Auto cad. The computer I drew it in has crashed an I have not checked to see if I can find a back up copy.
I will check. It is all of PP and Cholla bay area. I had started to do exactly this but did not have enough time to do more than the map.
Now that we are spending a lot more time down there I may be able to finish it .

After looking at the Google I see no reason to finish the one I drew. It is m0difable by any one to correct any errors they see or to ad things not listed.

Also searchable makes it so usable.

Jim

Ajo Copper News is putting out a very good hard copy map book. It will be free and available at various locations in Ajo, Why and Puerto Penasco. It should be out in a couple weeks and has about 8 pages of maps for Rocky Point and surrounding areas. As I understand it, it will be full color too.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Mex Joe and Pinto. I didn't put that together.

A member of the forum put this out a few years ago and I just happened to have saved it.

If you have any legitimate changes, corrections or additions, feel free to make them.

Like I said the map is easy to edit. So just do it as a favor to all of us. While you are at it add something that is not there.
Thanks