Rosie gets the story, all of it!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I am pretty sure that this was not an organized, cartel supported hijacking...

None the less it's a horrible tragedy for the victims.
I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly.

Don't kid yourself on the 1st statement. Ever watch the show "Shadow Wolves?" It's about the Native American trackers that hunt down border crossers with loads of drugs on the reservations. Nearly all of the vehicles they find abandoned are 4WD trucks and SUVs, 99% of them reported as stolen in the US. Yes, a lot of it is foot-traffic once the loads reach a certain point. But they use the vehicles to get the loads to an isolated point near or over the border where the foot guys take over.

As for this particular incident? Hard to say. You could be right; I could be right. Either way, it creates one more element of fear and yet another reason for tourists to say "Mexico isn't safe."

S

Submarine

I was hoping to get at least a few responses to my post (#13). So any feedback at all? Good idea, bad idea, effective, pointless? What do people think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmf-HCCZYOg

What's this? Carjackings on the road to Rocky Point? Drug cartel execution killings? Cartel leaders killed and captured in other Mexican States?
Who would have thunk it? Must be a problem of Perception! lol.

Seriously, if you have to go to the lengths of creating caravans you might as well stay home. Statistically, and now locally proven with these latest anecdotes, Mexico and Rocky Point are not safe. Never have been, probably never will be, but a head in the sand attitude never solved anything.
More police will fix the problem? I work in Maryvale. At night. It's the number one Phoenix P.D. area for "Shots fired" calls. Over four years now I've never had a problem, but then I come home and read about all the stuff that happened right around where I work and either I just missed it or was luckily sent out of town. Safest place in that area is at the QT on 27th Ave and Thomas because all the cops hang out there on break or to bull****. Go even a hundred yards down the road and you are fair game (and yes you will see police on every corner all night long, almost a 1:1 ratio with cars on the road after 2. Crime is not impacted.). I'm unarmed there, just like in Mexico, and if my number is up it's up.

Personally, when I make my way to Rocky Point again I'll still just hammer down just south of Sonoyta and take my chances as usual. I wouldn't want some idiot in the SUV in front of me deciding to stop for what they "thought" was a Federale so the whole lot of us get jacked.

Stuart is right on about the trucks and 4x4's, and especially about not giving up without a fight. A cartel might not think about dropping $$ on a new truck, but if they are just going to be driving it through the desert to try and get 1 out of 100 loads through why not use a stolen one? And can you just see some cartel trying to sneak a fleet of new Toyotas with secret panels through the border inspection station?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'll be damned... Sub lives! :thumbsup:

We haven't seen you around in so long, we thought you got killed in a Mexican barfight or died from eating a toxic taco!

Welcome back, amigo!

We haven't seen you around in so long, we thought you got killed in a Mexican barfight or died from eating a toxic taco!

Welcome back, amigo!
Naw...he's running the UPS office in Tahiti!!! (you wish, Sub!:rofl::stir:)

Funny thing happened to me driving down to Penasco today.....several miles out of Sonoyta, there was absolutely nobody behind me....then a couple of minutes later, saw headlights....closing VERY fast....and I was not putzing allong at the speed limit....the vehicle finally caught up to me....saw that it was a small suv...nothing I was particularly worried about....the driver backed off, and just stayed with me all the way to Penasco...probably was on my tail for 45-50 miles. When he was closing, he had to be doing 90-95. Was that a reader of the Forum wanting to caravan???:rofl:

BTW, did see one federale highway patrol going the other way, but he wasn't running his radar.

Last edited:

cmuchm

We have a suggestion, use Www.trapster.com to monitor and provide road condition information such as police, suspicious vehicles, and broken down vehicle status'. All of us, as regular travelers, could access this site via the application or web page to virtually 'police' the road ourselves. If someone knows the Sonita or RP police chiefs, advise them on how to use, which may help those in need. It's a FREE APP.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Funny thing happened to me driving down to Penasco today.....several miles out of Sonoyta, there was absolutely nobody behind me....then a couple of minutes later, saw headlights....closing VERY fast....and I was not putzing allong at the speed limit....the vehicle finally caught up to me....saw that it was a small suv...nothing I was particularly worried about....the driver backed off, and just stayed with me all the way to Penasco...probably was on my tail for 45-50 miles. When he was closing, he had to be doing 90-95. Was that a reader of the Forum wanting to caravan???:rofl:

BTW, did see one federale highway patrol going the other way, but he wasn't running his radar.
You been used, buddy! In a good way...

Good Job Joe... I always knew you were a leader...

R

reportjones

Soem of you may laugh but there is a very relaible weapon out there to defend yourslef in life and death situations like this. It is not illegal to own a flare gun in mexico. Walmart sells them with four cartridges. They are plastic and very inexpensive. Imaging unloading a flare into the cab of the expedition or better yet, shotting it at the xpedition and it hitting a window. Flames and sparks would have gone everywhere scaring the shi+ out of them.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
or the alternative might work even better yet, another news brought to you by Rosie and the RPtva team:

[SIZE=+0]Rocky Point Tourist and Visitors Assistance Office[/SIZE] IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

CITIZENS AND RESIDENTS WEDNESDAYS

THE NEW PUERTO PENASCO - ROCKY POINT CITY ADMINISTRATION Invites you ....

EVERY WEDNESDAY FROM 10 AM TO 2 PM

Mayor Alejandro Zepeda and his entire staff, including the Chiefs Of Police, Finance, Zoning, Fire Department, etc. all of whom are bilingual!

WHERE? On the city hall patio - located at the corner of Freemont and Benito Juarez

WHY? We want to hear your suggestions, take care of your problems or answer your questions and if you have any kind of complaint to take immediate action.

WHAT CAN I DISCUSS WITH THEM?

Property Tax Issues
Public safety questions or suggestions
Questions about starting a business
How best to promote an idea
Cultural activities or social organizations
Pavement or trash collection situations
Police Issues
ANYTHING YOU MIGHT NEED OUR GOVERNMENT WANTS TO HELP

NO APPOINTMENT NEEDED THEY WILL BE THERE WAITING FOR YOU

PUERTO PENASCO CITY GOVERNMENT works, governs and protects everyone regardless of country of origin, language, race, political affiliation, sexual preference, visitor or permanent resident...We govern for all with equal opportunity and open doors!

IN PUERTO PENASCO WE TAKE CARE OF TOURISTS, RESIDENTS AND CITIZENS

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

[/FONT]This message brought to you by the RPTVA
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
QUICK LINK
RPtva website
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]CALL: 638-388-8207 [/FONT]

this is a way for many of us to help giving ideas for the problems that some are experiencing and hopefully solve some of them!!

Last edited:
S

Submarine

Welcome back, amigo!
No such luck! I've been riding sportbikes and started a side business doing jetski performance mods and repairs. Trying to stay away from wasting so much time on the computer.

JimMcG

Soem of you may laugh but there is a very relaible weapon out there to defend yourslef in life and death situations like this. It is not illegal to own a flare gun in mexico. Walmart sells them with four cartridges. They are plastic and very inexpensive. Imaging unloading a flare into the cab of the expedition or better yet, shotting it at the xpedition and it hitting a window. Flames and sparks would have gone everywhere scaring the shi+ out of them.
It seems like an option worth looking into after resolving the following concerns:

1. As arbitrary as the various Mexican authorities can be, I wonder if anyone can verify that a flare gun would not be considered an illegal hand gun in Mexico, which might come with the threat of a long prison sentence?

2. Would carrying a flare gun in a glovebox in the US be considered a concealed weapon by US authorities while on route to Mexico?

3. After shooting at a Mexican citizen in Mexico with a flare gun, whose side would the Mexican authorities take, the Mexican or the gringo, regardless of the perceived threat?

Your comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

PS. I used to carry a machete and survival knife routinely, as part of an emergency kit until I read where they can be considered illegal weapons by Mexican authorities.

Last edited:
I believe the question of a flare gun was asked in the Fishing forum....and the regulars responded that it was not illegal....but it would be well worth checking it out.

At the point of having to use a flare gun for self defense, I would risk that it was illegal.....regardless of the justice system I had to deal with afterwards!

Roberto

It seems like an option worth looking into after resolving the following concerns:

1. As arbitrary as the various Mexican authorities can be, I wonder if anyone can verify that a flare gun would not be considered an illegal hand gun in Mexico, which might come with the threat of a long prison sentence?

2. Would carrying a flare gun in a glovebox in the US be considered a concealed weapon by US authorities while on route to Mexico?

3. After shooting at a Mexican citizen in Mexico with a flare gun, whose side would the Mexican authorities take, the Mexican or the gringo, regardless of the perceived threat?

Your comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

PS. I used to carry a machete and survival knife routinely, as part of an emergency kit until I read where they can be considered illegal weapons by Mexican authorities.
I've been real interested in this one too. I used to be on the road a lot more down here and really wanted it then. The roads get lonely out in the outback. I asked around a bit and the general consensus was it was legal, but.... you'd want an opinion from one of the judges, or Ministerio Publico and not sure you could get that easily.

One of the issues about all of this is that the Mexican justice system assumes guilt until you prove innocence. That is supposed to change under the Meridia agreement but it has not yet. The interpretation of the arresting officer has a large effect on the nature of charges and results of those charges. One benefit of this is that you have a chance to talk yourself out of trouble, much moreso than in the states.

On number 2, I would guess that you could have a problem in some states, unless maybe you were towing a boat!! New Mexico allows you to carry in a vehicle, anywhere but hidden on your body. I kept a .380 in the compartment between the seats. Not here in Mexico of course. What is the carry law in AZ, anyone know?

3. I think, just as in the states, if you do serious damange or injure someone or worse you're goin to the station house. In the states they'd get you on Carry, Discharge, Attempted something or another, and worse with injuries. If it was a demonstrable threatening situation with witnesses, I don't think you would have a problem down here, but #1 above comes into play. If you don't own a boat you might have a prepared cover story, say that maybe you were bringing it to Mexico for Stuart' s boat and have Stuart prepared to back you up. Yeah, it's Stuart's fault !!
PS. I got caught on that one with knives in the door panel of the truck and center compartment. Had to pay a fine and lost my best skinning knife to boot. I replaced the knives with one of those heavy duty long black police style flashlights and a spray can as below.

I had a problem with hornets in a tree at my house and got one of those hornet/wasp insecticide spray cans. I was very impressed with the volume and distance of the projection of the spray. The effect is immediate and your eyes will burn with a slight breeze. Sprayed anywhere near the face should disable and immobilize someone but not in a life threatening manner. I have a can in the door panel of the car, at my door at home and one in the office. Not effective from a moving vehicle, but anywhere within 15 feet or so it should work. Should be no problems with the legality of it either, after all it just happened to be handy, right. Never know when those pesky hornets will attack!

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Google Arizona Revised Statutes 13-3112. Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; certificate of firearms proficiency; training program; program instructors; report; applicability; violation; classification.