Rosie gets the story, all of it!

don

In May of 2009, we (Wife and I) met Happy and his wife in PP. We were like family; shared sodas' chips and chatted. Several hours slipped by as we chatted about fishing/forum and folks/PP/ and restaurants. Great times, look forward to meeting him and his wife again.

Happy is a regular to PP, been going there for ages. He has a wealth of knowledge garnered from first hand experience.

On the Forum Happy enjoyed pushing folks; but it's always in fun. He reminded me of a tough football coach or a drill Sargent "Getting in your face". No one likes to get pushed by a coach or drill Sargent, but then again we always grow to meet challenge.

Gotta' remember he also provided a Ton of laughs!

Well good to hear you haven't been castrated, literally or figuratively! I'm satisfied with your explanation although I disagree with the decision to remove the article entirely at this time. I assumed that articles on RPNewsonline were just rotated down as new ones were added, so to remove it completely frankly smelled fishy. Your website is not very widely known, and I have never seen a reference to it other than at this forum.

No problem was ever solved by hiding the truth, and your website only benefits PP by providing that truth. These 'cease and desist-ers' are shortsighted and misguided in thinking that its better to fool the timid into visiting PP. Those are the last people they should want to attract for even a small incident, such as the normal occurrance of seeing a Federale checkpoint, can scare them into telling all their friends how dangerous it was.

If PP tourism promoters were smart, they would discourage the whole Spring Break festivites even at the short term cost, because that mostly brings 1 or 2 timer college students who perpetuate the opinion of how crazy and lawless Mexico can be. Just one more reason why PP will probably never rise to the level of a world class travel destination.

I was wondering if you are in PP fulltime or split U.S./Mexico. I'm not clear on what the laws are regarding a free press in Mexico. While I respect and admire the Mike Lacey and Jim Larkin type of journalist, I would understand balancing your desire not to be thrown into a cell and left to rot without our protections and due process as we enjoy here. I share a similar burden standing up to my company as a representative for the Teamsters Union, and I never shy away from my responsibilites regardless of the personal cost. You just have to ask yourself if you can live with your decisions, and it sounds like you have already answered that question.
I learned a lot about my readers by taking the article down. It will find its way into the archives. I’m compiling a file of emails and posts found online prior to the article being published (this is why I asked for emails), when everyone was clamoring to know the truth about what had happened. That correspondence will be compared to everything expressed after the article and interview made the rounds. While I didn’t take it down for that reason, I'll use these posts and the emails to show locals that people feel much better when they are informed.
You aren’t the only one who would like us to move away from being a Spring Break destination. Eventually that might happen, but only after we develop other ways to attract visitors. Ft. Lauderdale did it.
I think RP can become a world-class travel destination. Time (and politics) will tell.
In answer to your question, I do live here full-time and don’t have a home in the States. Between the RPNO, the insurance business and the Tourism and Visitor Assistance office, there simply isn’t much time.
Free press is actually a big deal in Mexico, and Mexicans are proud of that. I’m not saying that journalists don’t run risks here, but they aren’t likely to be “thrown into a cell to rot”.
And by the way, I’ve visited the local jail and the prison, and spent time with Americans incarcerated here on a wide range of charges, including manslaughter. Let me assure you, I can freely piss people off and there is no chance in hell of anyone throwing me in a cell unless I break a law. In Mexico, we do, in fact, have a fighting chance at defending ourselves from an automatic prison sentence. I’m kicking over another hornet’s nest, but maybe “justice for all” is really just another American myth.

I think that taking the article down was a smart move for Rosie's well being. If anyone thinks that people won't get hurt over loss of money in mexico,
they are better off not crossing the border at all......
Thank you, Derek, but there is no threat of either governmental wrath or physical danger to me. Of all my worries, those two aren't even on the list.

When I complain about being pressured, I'm referring to your everyday 'why-the-hell-did-you-write-that" stuff and that comes mostly from Americans who own businesses here.

I’m on the board of a charitable organization, on the Puerto Penasco chapter of the National Human Rights Watch, vice-president of tourism for Canaco (our Chamber of Commerce), and a member of the Professional Women's Club. For two years I have been in charge of Uncommon Women on Common Ground, a social/civic organization. I say this so you guys don’t think I’m an outcast in Mexican society because I tend to buck the status quo.

Three years ago, I filed a lawsuit against a former employer (he scammed me out of over $100,000 USD, in cash) with political clout. Ramon Martinez, former mayor of Rocky Point is doomed to lose the case and I will recoup my money. I’ve given interviews on the subject without fear of retribution.

Sure, there are things that need to change in Mexico, and those things are especially evident to Americans, probably because they have short memories.

In my lifetime, Americans have been lynched, not by thugs, but by so-called authorities. The Nat’l Guard has fired on unarmed university students, and dozens of innocent men have finally won their freedom after decades behind bars. Only DNA evidence finally came to their rescue. The governor of one state sells senate seats, a mayor of D.C. is filmed smoking crack cocaine, and on and on. When I was a child, my sis and I sat crying in the car in East L.A. as cops beat our mother (she was 5’2”/100lbs) after a traffic stop. The FBI has a history of abusing the rights of citizens.

These aren’t random street crimes. These are governmental abuses of power, acts of corruption and of disregard for basic human rights. Don’t misunderstand, I get that some foreigners in Mexico are afraid of a system they don’t understand. That doesn’t mean the fear is justified.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Very nicely worded Rosie and to that I would like to add the one thing I have learn in many years of living in USA, just because the USA is not a third world country does not means that they are not corrupted, they have more money to cover up better their crimes to the public, society or the neighbor next door, please do not get me wrong I am not saying that everybody is corrupted just those that are, the same way that there is people like Rosie and million others that are trully good hearted people in the third world countries as well as in USA :eek3:

Last edited:
ROOOOOOSIE........Let me see if i understand things......, you did the work, you put the article together, you pursued truth, you published what you were able to compile, and then you decided to take down. Sounds like to me you have all the AUTHORITY and DISCRETION to do ANYTHING you wish with your work. Thanks for being a productive part of the solution!

I fully support your complete and total decision making around YOUR work.

Thanks
Pete!

Umm...thanks, Pete. I did sneak it back up, though. Nobody better ever call me wishy-washy and expect to get away with it! Seriously though, I was able to compile an interesting file of emails and posts. The most interesting part of the whole thing is how the tone changed from when A) information was being sought B) information had been given and C) I took it down. Obviously, the reaction to Item C was a bit of a surprise, not bad...it means it's getting read. Again, thanks.

I congrats you Rosie for making available to us the "real deal". You are the bomb and the savior of actual truth! Please do not stray from your path for educating those of us that are currently NOT in the know.

Kenny

Hey Rosie, I have a great idea!.
Post the most off the wall email's that you received after you took the article down, but without their name's. Then we'll try to guess who the jerk is.... We can call it, Pin the name on the jerk.

Last edited:
Hey Rosie, I have a great idea!.
Post the most off the wall email's that you received after you took the article down, but without their name's. Then we'll try to guess who the jerk is.... We can call it, Pin the name on the jerk.
Ha! I have no doubt that you guys would pin the right jerks. But guess what, Kenny? I actually am going to put the comments in the Letters to the Editor.

Kenny

Ha! I have no doubt that you guys would pin the right jerks. But guess what, Kenny? I actually am going to put the comments in the Letters to the Editor.
Oh boy, doe's that mean I win a free years subscription? One just like you were going to give that other guy?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
And for those non believers or fast to point out, there you have it, the government of PP and Sonoyta are putting more patrols between these two towns, now you can start your caravans before they get to long!! :eek3:

Bob Oso

There are more than a few regulars on this forum that are glad it was taken out, and cringe each time there is a reply of any kind on this thread, or the other. Who might they be? Think about it, but don't look for their name's on this thread..it won't be there.
Yet you keep replying...and now with a lynch mob mentality just to spice it up a little.

Kenny

Yet you keep replying...and now with a lynch mob mentality just to spice it up a little.
I have no idea what you mean by "yet". Do you think I shouldn't post on this thread, or what? Looking back at your post's I thought you were upset it was taken off. So why would me posting on this thread, that I started, bother you?

Bob Oso

Doesn't bother me a bit, post to your hearts content, like you say it's your thread.

The article coming down didn't upset me, just seem like there was alot of unanswered questions and no resolution to the story. But being a sharp witted journalist like Rosie, she lets out just enough to keep you coming back for more. I'm still holding my breath for her next article.

Kenny

OK, I'll try this again..What are you talking about? What's the "yet you keep replying" and "lynch mob mentality" supposed to mean"? Do you know?

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
:rofl::rofl:Kenny comes to Penasco ???? Passes through town, he does not spend a dime here, :-o
:cruisin: If you believe anything this a s s hole says....Good luck....