Saying hello, and asking my gringolandia questions now that I am moving to Rocky Point

Rick, I think it's a great property, especially with the extra house as a rental. The previous tenants would love to move back there.
And with it being at Pinto Pt. makes it that much more special.
I picked that area to build my just for that reason. I know the previous renters well along with the owner. And it should appreciate in value once I stucco the outside of my home.

I picked that area to build my just for that reason. I know the previous renters well along with the owner. And it should appreciate in value once I stucco the outside of my home.
Yeah, that yellow foam is such an eyesore. :D You will have one of the best insulated places in RP.

Someday, I'm going to wrap my house's exterior block walls with 2" of foam and re-stucco it. I saw what that did to a house for preventing heat gain
and was impressed. The west side of my house gets pretty warm in the late afternoon from the sun and reflection off the water.

I know were wandering off the topic.:rolleyes:

Yeah, that yellow foam is such an eyesore. :D You will have one of the best insulated places in RP.

Someday, I'm going to wrap my house's exterior block walls with 2" of foam and re-stucco it. I saw what that did to a house for preventing heat gain
and was impressed. The west side of my house gets pretty warm in the late afternoon from the sun and reflection off the water.

I know were wandering off the topic.:rolleyes:

Maybe I should set up a GO FUN Me account to cover the 20K for stucco. Maybe the neighbors will chip in! LOL

Maybe I should set up a GO FUN Me account to cover the 20K for stucco. Maybe the neighbors will chip in! LOL
Aaah, The joys of building a house and living 400 miles away. LOL
I'd love to help out but my wife won't let me spend anything on our Cholla house.
The annual cost of having 2 kids in college would barely cover your stucco bill and one has a scholarship and that takes precedent.

Aaah, The joys of building a house and living 400 miles away. LOL
I'd love to help out but my wife won't let me spend anything on our Cholla house.
The annual cost of having 2 kids in college would barely cover your stucco bill and one has a scholarship and that takes precedent.
I was getting ready to order materials when everything fell into place on our bank trust. Bank trust took precedent. Everything else is paid off, so the $78 dollars a year in property taxes are great. Who knows whats going to happen in the USA, I might be living there if the stock market tanks and the dollar goes south. Still off topic.

Last edited:

rplarry

Could you please start your own thread-this keeps popping up as I am the OP, and no one is answering my questions, as this has been now changed topics....THANKS.

Do you like moon gazing?

Or is spicy vegan corn hash more to your liking?

Is parasailing an activity you enjoy ?

Before you ask for someone to start their own thread because you laid out a wide open topic, you might want to make a more specific subject line yourself for your original post.

It was a pretty generic and non-descriptive post subject-line you originally posted "Saying Hello, asking questions, etc". Just my opinion.

Also, you should know that most everyone on this blog is willing to help people who are nice and considerate.

Jumping on and telling everyone what rules you think they should follow won't get you much consideration. Especially the folks who won't comment like I am, but have good info for you but won't share because they don't like your attitude and then they remain silent.

And, try some Carne Asada, tripe, de lengua and cabeza. It's really good in Rocky Point.

Last edited:
I was getting ready to order materials when everything fell into place on our bank trust. Bank trust took precedent. Everything else is paid off, so the $78 dollars a year in property taxes are great. Who knows whats going to happen in the USA, I might be living there if the stock market tanks and the dollar goes south. Still off topic.
Priorities, Yes
I have heard some horror stories from neighbors who finally had bank trusts done recently.
Hope yours went smoother.
I'm glad mine was completed 15 years ago, it went semi smoothly with only 1 extra cost added for the costs, for
electricity, sewer and water the developer severely under estimated.
My Cholla place has always been plan B.
Again off topic, but still helps answers some of the questions not asked yet by JA.
It is more complicated buying a place in Mexico vs the USA, because of all the unknown and shady things that can happen.

I appreciate all your input, and need it. I am no where near that price point, however. There is a house in mind, and it does need work, so I will definitely ask about contractors from you.
Do you like moon gazing?

Before you ask for someone to start their own thread because you laid out a wide open topic, you might want to make a more specific subject line yourself for your original post.

It was a pretty generic and non-descriptive post subject-line you originally posted "Saying Hello, asking questions, etc". Just my opinion.

Also, you should know that most everyone on this blog is willing to help people who are nice and considerate.

Jumping on and telling everyone what rules you think they should follow won't get you much consideration. Especially the folks who won't comment like I am, but have good info for you but won't share because they don't like your attitude and then they remain silent.

And, try some Carne Asada, tripe, de lengua and cabeza. It's really good in Rocky Point.

Perhaps you missed the part where we discussed the fact that this forum does not stay on topic, which being new, was unknown to me. Sorry I seemed to ruffle many feathers on this posting. It is NOT the norm of every other forum I have been on. PS telling a vegan to try carne asada, tripe, ...is a dick move.

The property that Rick mentioned has an asking price of $249K, it's been for sale for 18 months. It is a lot of property with an excellent water view.
It is about 200 feet from my place on Pinto point.
I don't know what your price range is, And, NO, I'm not an agent.

The thing about many houses in Mexico is that when people build something it is done without building permits, insulation, dual pane windows etc.
are usually not installed or done using minimal quality products. many houses are built without termite pre-treatment and there are lots of termites
in Mexico. Some of the houses being built are done using good quality products.

The good news is that an older house can usually be upgraded without a huge cost involved. But be prepared to spend some $$ to modernize your purchase.
You will need to put some good insulation and windows in or your electric bills will be huge.

There are pitfalls with buying in Mexico, many places don't have title insurance, bank trusts (depends on where you buy) and watch out for the capitol gains tax
being passed on to the new buyer because of a crooked real estate agent.

The Big item is that there is a lot of property for sale and if you decide you don't like RP anymore, be prepared to not re-coup your investment for awhile
because only the choice stuff sells quickly or you have to do a fire sale to get rid of it.
If you decide to buy something that needs work, I know of a few dependable, quality and affordable contractors I could introduce you to.
If you want to talk more, PM me using the forums conversation feature.
My name is Bob and I am in RP 40-50 days a year.
Do you think the houses built in the 60s, and 70s have the insulation issues as well? Are you saying block walls are not good for this? (Again thanks for your help)

Do you like moon gazing?

I was confused as to how it got "high jacked" when someone asked about un ordinary eating habits, people tried to help and spoke of a place that may have those foods being open or closed or not which I would consider pretty darn helpful if I were to try and go to a place that may or may not be open, I think I would want to know. that kind of stuff is why I'm pretty young not to have a Facebook, Twitter, tweeter, snap whatever, I had no idea finding a forum with people that have similar interest of something (in this case Rocky Point) and want to hear Bout things, help others, have fun, etc., had so many rules. My bad if I'm breaking one right now, but heck yea, carne asada and fish tacos with a drink on the beach all the way baby!

Reactions: ron

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hijacked, Hijacked, don't talk to me about HjJacked. Not one person has said hi to me
and I haven't seen a thing about or a picture of fish in this thread. Blame Saturday morning boredumb.
Okay, back to my oxygen tent.

Do you think the houses built in the 60s, and 70s have the insulation issues as well? Are you saying block walls are not good for this? (Again thanks for your help)
Block walls are fine, wrapping them with foam makes them better.

If you plan on NOT being there June - Sept. all of the info below becomes much less important.

Much of the heat gain comes from whatever is exposed to the sun. Roof's, sunlit walls and windows.

That's where it makes sense to install 1-2" foam to the outside of the block walls to slow the heat gain.
It costs $1500-3500 to wrap and stucco a 1200sf house.
Spraying 2" of foam on a flat roof and/or adding 12" of insulation in an attic helps, mucho.
Sun screens help and don't cost much in RP.
Energy efficient windows aren't a must but do help.

I would bet most of the houses built in the 60-2016's in RP and surrounding areas have little or no insulation unless it was added later.

You don't have to have insulation and efficient windows (many places don't) but it means keeping you place at 83 degrees and still having
a $200-300+ electric bill or adding decent insulation planting some shade trees adding window shade screens and be able to keep you place
5 degrees cooler and have a similar bill.

There are plenty of houses in RP with zero to little insulation in them, because 6 months of the year it doesn't matter as much. If you leave during June-Sept. having insulation isn't much of a factor.

So you don't have to do anything to what you buy, perhaps do something every year to slowly improve your house's energy efficiency.
Just make sure what you buy is structurally sound because the other stuff is easy to fix or change.
Adding a mini split A/C with heat is the best way to cool and heat your house, much better than window A/C units.
(Mirage-2 ton unit good for 600ish Sq ft area cost approx $700 installed in RP)
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Block walls are fine, wrapping them with foam makes them better.

If you plan on NOT being there June - Sept. all of the info below becomes much less important.

Much of the heat gain comes from whatever is exposed to the sun. Roof's, sunlit walls and windows.

That's where it makes sense to install 1-2" foam to the outside of the block walls to slow the heat gain.
It costs $1500-3500 to wrap and stucco a 1200sf house.
Spraying 2" of foam on a flat roof and/or adding 12" of insulation in an attic helps, mucho.
Sun screens help and don't cost much in RP.
Energy efficient windows aren't a must but do help.

I would bet most of the houses built in the 60-2016's in RP and surrounding areas have little or no insulation unless it was added later.

You don't have to have insulation and efficient windows (many places don't) but it means keeping you place at 83 degrees and still having
a $200-300+ electric bill or adding decent insulation planting some shade trees adding window shade screens and be able to keep you place
5 degrees cooler and have a similar bill.

There are plenty of houses in RP with zero to little insulation in them, because 6 months of the year it doesn't matter as much. If you leave during June-Sept. having insulation isn't much of a factor.

So you don't have to do anything to what you buy, perhaps do something every year to slowly improve your house's energy efficiency.
Just make sure what you buy is structurally sound because the other stuff is easy to fix or change.
Adding a mini split A/C with heat is the best way to cool and heat your house, much better than window A/C units.
(Mirage-2 ton unit good for 600ish Sq ft area cost approx $700 installed in RP)
Hope this helps.
It sure does. The house I am interested in already has central ac-I do plan on being there year round. I will have to check on whether or not it was insulted prior to painting. THANKS AGAIN!! OH, does anyone have solar panels, and is it expensive to get them?

I was confused as to how it got "high jacked" when someone asked about un ordinary eating habits, people tried to help and spoke of a place that may have those foods being open or closed or not which I would consider pretty darn helpful if I were to try and go to a place that may or may not be open, I think I would want to know. that kind of stuff is why I'm pretty young not to have a Facebook, Twitter, tweeter, snap whatever, I had no idea finding a forum with people that have similar interest of something (in this case Rocky Point) and want to hear Bout things, help others, have fun, etc., had so many rules. My bad if I'm breaking one right now, but heck yea, carne asada and fish tacos with a drink on the beach all the way baby!
Could you people drop this already?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Hi Julie,

I have several homes in Cholla.

These are brand new remodels meaning we gutted the originals and replaced everything as new, plumbing, electrical, sewer. No surprises. One is livable right now and the other 2 are in progress. My email is [email protected], I am not a realtor I am a small time re-modeler and my wife is a designer.

The houses measure about 850 sq ft inside but each one has an amazing 800 sq ft Margarita deck on top. Desert views and bay views and about 141 steps to the bay.

Julie, when purchasing property in Mexico be sure to talk to someone besides the real estate agent to get a better understanding of the ownership process. By law non Mexicans aren't allowed to own property within 60 miles of the coastline. There are vehicles to allow this, one is a bank trust. The only areas I'm aware that have them is Cholla Bay, Las conchas has an old expiring one. There maybe others. Bottom line speak with someone who knows and has experience with the buying process. There are more than a few real estate agents down there I wouldn't by anything from. There are some pretty good ones too, so choose wisely