Somebody Caught a REALLY Big Fish this Weekend!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Blue sharks do not have a semi-detached dorsal fin, and they are really slim with long pectoral fins

I can't see the eye clearly enough, but with the coloration, 5 gill slits, semi-detached dorsal fin and notched tail, my guess is Grey Reef shark (and a damn big one at that)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We've been debating the actually species. In the water, it looked exactly like a black-tip reef shark on steroids. Very tan colored (dusky). Black-tips are not known to get that large. Closest to it is a grey reef shark. Several locals referred to it as a white shark, but it was DEFINITELY not a great white or mako. The color in the pictures is nothing like it was alive in the water and it was blunt snout, small teeth, nothing like great white or mako. We got some video of it alive and when I get it from Tom, I'll post it.

All I can say is -- what a battle and we were VERY lucky to have actually landed this brute.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hahaha! No. Unfortunately, Connie couldn't make this trip. I took Wendell and Larry from the forum and Larry's friend Tom. Tom got some nice video of the shark in the water. I'll try to post it when I get a copy.

Tom

Stuart,
I plan to get the video posted on You Tube by this Sunday, October 23. I am dealing with limited bandwidth and a day job until then.
Key search words will be: "Puerto Penasco reef shark." It will probably go up unedited and in six segments, including shots of the deck and my shoes.

It may be a week or so until we hear from Larry. He had to get to Missouri quickly after learning his mother was critically ill.

For everyone's background, you will see in the video that we would not have landed this shark without Stuart's leadership.

R

reportjones

Great catch...just hate to see mammoths like this taken from the sea! Catch and release for all; please consider!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Caught just 10 yards offshore -- right by the condos at Sandy Beach. Anybody wanna go swimming?

(Couldn't resist!) Caught near the Witches Hat, about 43 miles out.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Great catch...just hate to see mammoths like this taken from the sea! Catch and release for all; please consider!
Not something we catch on an everyday basis. In fact, this is the ONLY shark of this size I've taken in over 30 years of fishing the Sea of Cortez. Also, Mr. Jones, just like hunting, you are better off taking the top of the herd, ones that have had a full life and bred many times. Release the younger ones that have a full life of breeding in front of them. They are the ones that will sustain the population.

I'm a sport fisherman, I understand exactly where you're coming from. The decision to take this creature was not made in haste. We were lucky to even catch it, let alone subdue it.

az-dan

Well Known Member
Had a great time this weekend going on The About Time to Bird Island. I took my entire family from my 2 year old grandson to my 87 year old father in-law, there was 12 of us total. I had a hard time getting everyone in the water to snorkel over to the sea lions. I had to assure them that there was nothing in the water that would harm them. My 12 year old granddaughter said don’t sharks eat sea lions? I said don’t worry there are no sharks. So they all got in the water and snorkeled with the sea lions. When we got back we were carrying our stuff up to the truck and my granddaughter ran over to me and said “Papa you got some explaining to do ….” Here is a picture we took of my granddaughter and niece and yes I had a lot of explaining to do.

RP_Oct_088.jpg