Sonoyta Bridge?

jerry

Holy cow!! Sideways rain, thunder and lightning at Santo Tomas. Hoping the power doesn't go out this time. Zero visibility,make the sign of the cross at the river in Sonoyta. (this from my friend in Santo Tomas this morning

Ed B

Small Potatoes
There are a series of about 5 washes 11.4 miles south of the 2nd border patrol stop, approximately 8-9 miles from Lukeville. We arrived at the first wash and were about the 10th car in line. It took about an hour when a BP vehicle finally went across. It was still ripping pretty good. I have an f350 that I thought was for sale but after this adventure I think I'm keeping it. We were also carrying about 1500 lbs of floor tile so I felt pretty good about going across. We were the first ones to cross the wash. Cars would have to wait longer. A lot of people turned around and went back. Spoke to a few who were considering heading out to Yuma and coming down coastal hwy. There were quite a few cars stuck between washes not able to go back or ahead. Lukeville had been hit pretty hard too as there was a lot of standing water all around the inspection stations. Sonoyta was a completely different story. The water was a river running down the side of the hill heading into town. As we made the turn heading towards the crossing we realized as we passed the Circle K we were not going to be going anywhere fast. We stopped right past the Circle K and stayed that way for 6 hours. (wasn't all bad as we found a new taco place to eat at) The electricity and water went off for maybe 2 hours more or less, not sure. Made it difficult if you hade to use a restroom. Circle K just closed theirs and locked the rest room doors. We spent the majority of our time going back and forth from the truck to the river checking on the progress and the flow of the river. It ended up being a huge event as people from town were coming to check things out all afternoon and night. Finally at about 9:15 pm a small dog crossed the river and then a couple of men went across and they started to let people cross. By now the line behind us was pretty long but the line on the 2 coming from the other way was so long we could not see the end of it. We were very lucky as the police let us on our side go first and after we passed through the intersection the police stopped our lane and let another lane go. I'm sure we would have been there for more than a few hours longer just trying to get across By the time our vehicle actually crossed the river the water was almost gone as if it were shut off at the main valve. There was still some flow but it was going under the road like it was supposed to.

Finally on the road again we headed on down to Rocky Point on the 8. Roads were wet not in bad shape at all. By now it was really dark and we were cruising at 80 mph. Saw some flashing blue lights ahead and slowed way down. It was not the police but one of the Green Angels who had stopped before a huge spot in the road where it was washed out. This was right before the big turn as you cross the river by the Cruz clinic and Pinacate reserve facility. If we would have hit that spot at 80.....who knows. Thank you Green Angel. After we crossed the river and made the turn heading south again we noticed the side of the road was really flooded and the water was moving at a good clip. It did not cause any problems for us and we continued on to RP. Finally we were approaching town and were planning on taking the right at the Laguna Shores- Caborca turn off. About 2 -3 miles before the turn traffic came to a stand still and it was all tractor trailers. The military was inspecting vehicles and opening each and every truck. If they (army) had not finally opened a second lane for passenger cars there is no doubt we would have been there for a couple hours. The trucks moved up one by one maybe every 10 minutes. When we finally maded the turn off we saw there was traffic stopped again. Not sure what was going on, if there was another inspection, accident , or what but we quickly turned around and came into town the old fashioned way. No one on the roads by now. Finally got to Sandy Beach at 11:15 and poured ourselves a few cocktails. A nice 12 hour adventure getting here. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sitting here having a coffee and it's raining right now.

Have some great pics but they're are taking a bit to upload. Check back later.

Ed B

Small Potatoes
There are flash floods issued for the whole area. Not sure of the rain last night....I told my daughter who was scheduled to come down this afternoon to stay home. I feel alot more comfortable doing what I did in a F350. A small car just would just add more time to the whole ordeal. There's also a pretty good chance of having to deal with this on the return trip too. If I have to stay until it's clear I can. She has to be back on Sunday.

mermaid

Hey everyone, just talked to a friend who crossed in Sonoita at 11:30 this Friday morning. He said smooth sailing, no problem.

Roberto

We had rain all night long here in Penasco last night. Not a roaring deluge but the kind gardeners love, a steady drizzle. Did not see lightening but the thunder was rooollling in 10 to 15 second rolls !

We had rain all night long here in Penasco last night. Not a roaring deluge but the kind gardeners love, a steady drizzle. Did not see lightening but the thunder was rooollling in 10 to 15 second rolls !
From here, we got a fine light show to accompany that thunder.

Just saw this post on FB....does anyone know which bridge they're talking about????

[h=6]Periodico De Frente
[/h][h=6]Debido a las lluvias, ayer viernes por la tarde se cayó un puente de los recién construidos en la carretera Sonoyta-San Luís R.C., esto sucedió a la altura del kilómetro 45 (mas o menos), por lo mismo trabajadores de la constructora construyen una desviación.
Será interesante saber quien asumirá el costo de su reconstrucción, se supone que la empresa constructora.See Translation
[/h]

Like · · Share · 37 minutes ago ·

Bing Translator says : Sonoyta-San Luis R.C. Road, Brand new Bridge.
Thanks Jack...but that doesn't tell me where it is located...there is something about a 45km ........if this is between Sonoita and San Luis, that could put a damper on going around if the bridge in Sonoita is not passable using the Sonoita to San Luis route and then the Coastal Highway from El Golfo.....

Meanwhile, today (around 11:00) the detour bridge . . . err, ford . . . was overflowing again. A swift current to drive through, with a major backup (for southward traffic, anyway).

azfish

Thanks Jack...but that doesn't tell me where it is located...there is something about a 45km ........if this is between Sonoita and San Luis, that could put a damper on going around if the bridge in Sonoita is not passable using the Sonoita to San Luis route and then the Coastal Highway from El Golfo.....
If you go fast enough, you can make it.

Okay, Sunday morning. Anyone have an update on the road conditions? I'm fielding some calls and you guys are the fastest response team I've got. Please let me know so I can pass it along. Gracias!

azfish

Just saw this post on FB....does anyone know which bridge they're talking about????

Periodico De Frente

Debido a las lluvias, ayer viernes por la tarde se cayó un puente de los recién construidos en la carretera Sonoyta-San Luís R.C., esto sucedió a la altura del kilómetro 45 (mas o menos), por lo mismo trabajadores de la constructora construyen una desviación.
Será interesante saber quien asumirá el costo de su reconstrucción, se supone que la empresa constructora.See Translation

Like · · Share · 37 minutes ago ·
Because of the rain, yesterday Friday afternoon fell a newly built bridge in the Sonoyta-San Luis R.C. Road, this happened at the height of the 45 kilometre (more or less), by the same workers of the construction company built a deviation.
It will be interesting to know who assumes the cost of reconstruction, it is assumed that the construction company.