Sonoyta Bridge?

aihre

Hi, did anyone crossed the sonoyta bridge today? Friday night we crossed the bridge and there was still 8-10in flash flood, we'll be coming back later today. Thanks!

Roberto

Sorry, I have heard nothing from people crossing in the past day or so. There have been lots of storm clouds rolling up that way during the week. The sky is clear today no sign of storms to the north and east heading toward Sonoita today. Should be clear.

As Roberto said....there is nothing showing up right now on the weather radar in terms of storms in the area...but that can change very quickly

Crossed today at 2:00 p.m. - no traffic - water flowing underneath - the road leading down on both sides is getting torn to shreds = lots of semi trucks and with all the rain - the roads in Sonoita are getting pretty awful.

I noticed a large amount of semi trucks driving south and north today between RP and Sonoita - does this have to do with the bridge just collapsing between Sonoita and San Luis? Plus, it created a huge backup at the traffic circle just north of Penasco - the army was checking every car, including the trucks and there was a backup of maybe 25-30 trailer trucks (plus additional traffic) coming into Penasco. Looks like they are setting up a semi-permanent check point there - they've taken over what looks like an abandoned house and I saw a guy constructing a little taco/burrito shack nearby.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I noticed a large amount of semi trucks driving south and north today between RP and Sonoita - does this have to do with the bridge just collapsing between Sonoita and San Luis?.........
As far as I heard the heavy traffic was being detoured thru Penasco to take the El Golfo route as the bridge was in to bad of a shape to take semis, so that will be another cause for delays into PP however the semis traffic in Sonoyta should go down as they will not be taking mex#2 to Sonoyta any more until both bridges are fixed.

The backup in traffic was also caused by a big accident right at the El Golfo-Caborca juntion (as usual). My son and I drove by just after 1pm and the highway to and from Penasco was completely blocked by a semi and 3 cars. The ambulance had been and gone, but everyone was still waiting for the tow truck. Soldiers were helping divert traffic heading out of town at a very slow pace, but the line of (mostly semis) heading towards Penasco snaked for miles.

Does any of this effect the coastal highway route coming from either mexicali or yuma? I have friends from cali going to our condo and they are coming on coastal hwy. Thks!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The backup in traffic was also caused by a big accident right at the El Golfo-Caborca juntion (as usual).
That junction is one of the most poorly designed things I've ever seen and I've nearly been wrecked there twice -- just passing straight through to/from Penasco. Seems people get disoriented and lose their sense of right of way, or are confused and think they are going the wrong way. It's extremely dangerous; I always slow way down because you just never know what other drivers are going to do there.

I guess the diversion through Penasco wouldn't be bad if they weren't checking all the trucks - it creates a huge backup - then people start to make their own lanes and the it becomes a bit chaotic. I wish there was better traffic control.

Roberto

I think trucks are normally prohibited from using the coastal highway but with that bridge on Highway 2 being out there is no alternative route when driving east or south from Baja/Tijuana/Mexicali. That is a major truck route. I would say there will be heavy truck traffic on the coastal highway until things dry out and they get a bypass road around that bridge. Repairs, or replacement probably will take a year !
The good part is that the coastal highway is wider and in better condition, should be fine with a little caution and slower traffic.

mis2810

When I conduct tours to the Pinacate my guest are wondering why I put my flashers on and do like 25 mph through that piece of crap intersection
Is this the weird part of the road where you go right to Laguna Shores and the coastal highway or left to Caborca? Or am I thinking of the wrong place?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Melissa, You go left and circle the roundabout and then go right on the Caborca road. You have to cross the main road again to go left. That's where most of the wrecks happen, where the roundabout crosses the main road twice..... If I see anyone approachong or using the roundabout, I jst slow down til I see where they are going.....Stupid, stupid piece of engineering......

mis2810

Melissa, You go left and circle the roundabout and then go right on the Caborca road. You have to cross the main road again to go left. That's where most of the wrecks happen, where the roundabout crosses the main road twice..... If I see anyone approachong or using the roundabout, I jst slow down til I see where they are going.....Stupid, stupid piece of engineering......

Okay, that's what I thought. In July when we left Sandy Beach via the new road when we got out to the highway it was really weird and we couldn't tell if we were on the correct side of the road or not trying to cross over to go north. I'm definitely going to be more careful there now! Thanks!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Sorry. I said left and I meant right. If you are going south, you turn right on the roundabout and circle it around to the Caborca turnoff and turn a soft right off the roundabout. You have to cross the main road south before getting to the turnoff. That's where most of the crashes are there. People heading north or south bound on the main road and people going around the circle get crashed into because they don't yield.....