Sonoyta Bridge?

AJROSIE

Old Salt
We tryed to go through about 630pm and the wash was flowing they told us it would be at least 1 am before we could cross. we will try again in the am does anyone have a number to call for info

Will keep checking - also here are numbers to call: **Sonoyta Detour and “Wash Road” Report**
Lukeville Port of Entry (520) 387-5671 Sonoyta policia (011-52) 651-512-0192

mrnoyb

What's the alternative if you can't cross at Sonoyta? Nogales or San Luis? Which would be better from phoenix?

I suppose the authorities should have shored up the detour route long before starting demolishion on the bridge. Shows a complete lack of planning. Maybe they just crossed their fingers and hoped for a very dry monsoon. If I were Penasco, I would be sending whatever help they can because this will be just another reason to deter people from coming down.

AJROSIE

Old Salt
You would think there would be a better way to get status on the wash out we have called all over and no one seems to know anymore than we do

Check this FB site.... Sonoyta Detour Updates | Facebook

All the US Border Crossing is responsible for in terms of info is the status of the border crossing...not what is happening in town or any detours...yeah, it would be nice, and you occasionally might get some info...like if there was almost no traffic hitting the crossing heading to the US.

Maybe you can complain to the Mexican consulate...and get a sign put up at the border before you cross indicating the status of the detour????? :rofl::stir:

Has anyone done any exploring with 4WD from the border heading south (and east), on any of those dirt tracks that appear to lead down to Mexican HWY 8...Alvaro Obregon.... (?) east of town? Looking at a satellite view, there appear to be some dirt roads there......looks like you still have to cross the river.....east of town

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=puerto+penasco,+mx&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=31.866041,-112.818732&spn=0.031381,0.038581&sll=33.651208,-111.928711&sspn=15.718839,19.753418&hnear=Puerto+Pe%C3%B1asco,+Sonora,+Mexico&t=h&z=15

More info on FB....although this info has been posted on here in other threads....

[h=6]Sonoyta Detour Updates
[/h][h=6]Taking the coastal highway route (description from Nov 2011 JoinUs):

If crossing the border in Mexicali, there is a short toll road (12 pesos – about $1 US) to San Luis Rio Colorado. On the East side of San Luis Rio Colorado, as you go along Mexico Highway 2 signs begin to point to the Golfo de Santa Clara, which then leads to the Coastal Highway. The toll road down from San Luis RC to just north of Santa Clara was 94 pesos (about $7 US) the day we did this in August (2011), but is well worth the time saved and prevents hitting numerous speed bumps along the free road. Just past the toll booth (or before when heading North) there is sometimes a quick military check-point set up, so don’t be startled. Just before reaching the small town of Santa Clara (with a gas station on the right just as you enter town), the Coastal Highway stretches off to the left and begins its journey to Puerto Peñasco.
The trip along the Coastal Highway to Rocky Point from Santa Clara, El Golfo, takes just over an hour.[/h]

Roberto

Has anyone done any exploring with 4WD from the border heading south (and east), on any of those dirt tracks that appear to lead down to Mexican HWY 8...Alvaro Obregon.... (?) east of town? Looking at a satellite view, there appear to be some dirt roads there......looks like you still have to cross the river.....east of town

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=puerto+penasco,+mx&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=31.866041,-112.818732&spn=0.031381,0.038581&sll=33.651208,-111.928711&sspn=15.718839,19.753418&hnear=Puerto+Peñasco,+Sonora,+Mexico&t=h&z=15

There is a road that connects Highway 8 to Highway 2 through the Pinacate. It's a couple of miles outside of Sonoita on 2. You would enter (or exit) 8 at the gated entrance to the Pinacate where you pay. I have driven it in the past. It's rough in the best times and probably washed out with all the rain. Might make it in a rock crawler 4x4. It would be a fun drive with a couple of vehicles.

Roberto

You just can't keep the Penasco lovers away ! Just visited with some folks who crossed at Sonoita and drove Mex 2 to Mexicali then down the coastal highway ! The did not have any problem from that reported bridge collapse on 2, said they did not see it. Said they were in an informal convoy of AZ plated vehicles and hit some 5 miltary stops along the way, but they are here and having a great time. I suggested they avoid Mex 2 on the way back and they agreed !!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Weather radar is showing some rather large storms heading toward Sonoyta as we speak. Hopefully they may break up.

It looks like they may extend all the way up to Why or there abouts. I think some may have an extended weekend down there.

Lucky dogs. I hope it clears out and they get that mess cleaned up in the next 11 days 'cause that's when I'm headed down
to terrorize the Puerto Penasco Police Department.