Stuart help for the site

First I love this site and almost all of the folks that post on it.
When I first signed on it was rely active with great input and help for people new to Rocky Point. It provided information about the town, fishing and more. But now it is in decline and that makes me sad.
This weekend I ask some of the folks what they thought was happening and what could be done to get it back. It seemed the consensus was people were no longer posting or even viewing due to the few that go off on tantrums and hijack threads. These few have spoiled it for so many.
I only speak for myself but I feel if the site is to servive those few need to be blocked in some way they are identified more closely. It seems some are so intent on destruction that the have posted under different names etc. I don't see this type of action on othersites I visit and we do not need it here

Stuart Please bring it back and lets move forward to a great site.
Thanksfor reading Your friend Bill

Last edited:

Kenny

It seems some are so intent on destruction that the have posted under different names etc. I don't see this type of action on othersites I visit and we do not need it here
If it's any consolation, this same person is also doing it on a very large hi tech forum that I frequent as well.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Bill, I understand your sentiment. And thank-you for caring.

This forum is like any community. There are those that love it and are actively involved, those that stop in once in awhile to see what's going on, and those that are naysayers for any number of reasons. Over the years, this forum has evolved and offers lots of information for many different users, be it fishing, real estate, crossing the border, whatever. For the most part, I'm pleased with what we offer and the folks that come here on a regular basis. There is no advertising revenue, which is even rarer these days -- not being deluged by an onslaught of pop-up advertisements everywhere you look.

Yes, there are some bad apples and weeding them out is an ongoing process. We have open registration and charge nothing to participate here, which creates part of the problem you mention. We do monitor multiple registrations and who's who under different names. Why? In some cases, both husbands and wives use the same computer to visit this site, each using their own name. Nothing wrong with that at all. We want folks to visit and share. But, it also creates the problem of "certain unnamed users" being able to create a new name from a different IP and fake email address, as has happened a couple times lately.

So rather than restrict things for the majority of the good people in this community, we sometimes have to put up with the bullsh!t from the few losers that seem to have nothing better to do with their time than cause hate and discontent. I often bear the brunt and focus of these attacks and make every effort to ban, control and delete when they do occur. But nobody can sit here and monitor this site 24/7.

I've also been making an effort to control thread hijacking. Some of the worst offenders have been warned about this and I've seen improvement, but it will always happen to some degree as topics evolve and shift. That I have no problem with -- deliberate attempts to derail will get you a ticket to banned camp.

If you (or any other user) has a specific issue, report the post to me and I or Jeeper will check it out ASAP. Neither of us try to be the censors or content police, but if somebody is out and out being a jerk, we will put the dunce cap on them and make them go stand in time out for awhile. Otherwise, you are free to ignore any other user so that you don't have to see any nonsense they post.

As I mentioned, our only real alternative to the openness we offer here is to restrict access and moderate every post, which would destroy the real-time aspect of the information you get here. I'm not in favor of that and, in essence, it's giving into the jerks and letting them win.

Thanks,
Stuart

GV Jack

Snorin God
Stuart....

I can honestly say that had I not found this site, I for one would probably have not gone to RP at all over the last few years.

I thank You, Tyler and LJ for all you do here. As hard as they may try, we can't let the few ruin it for the many.

Thanks, again.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
First I love this site and almost all of the folks that post on it.
When I first signed on it was rely active with great input and help for people new to Rocky Point. It provided information about the town, fishing and more. But now it is in decline and that makes me sad.
This weekend I ask some of the folks what they thought was happening and what could be done to get it back. It seemed the consensus was people were no longer posting or even viewing due to the few that go off on tantrums and hijack threads. These few have spoiled it for so many.
I only speak for myself but I feel if the site is to servive those few need to be blocked in some way they are identified more closely. It seems some are so intent on destruction that the have posted under different names etc. I don't see this type of action on othersites I visit and we do not need it here

Thanksfor reading Your friend Bill

You mean like when the guy asked where it was good to fish from shore and what to expect to catch because he was going to be here in late December into January and you replied come over for Thanksgiving dinner, PDO #52 ???????????????????????????????? Ill start taking you seriously when you spell SURVIVE correctly, thank you!

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Joe - You need a serious attitude adjustment. Go stand in the corner for awhile. Don't forget the dunce cap. :duh:

jerry

My guess is you were at Chuck's place and he is pissed abou the health care thing i reported about his bro (love you chuck!)...except for dog hater Happy the forum has had peace break out since the political stuff was put behind the wall....i think it has been great lately...good posts on ATVing pro and con...fishing stuff .....road trip stuff...warnings on crooked cops....safety stuff....home repair stuff....joking around (Asu fans suck!) great places to eat and shop reports.....i love the forum

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
And even Jerry likes it...

I agree. Locking up Rants has caused peace to blossom (for the most part).

GV Jack

Snorin God
OK..Who are you and what have you done with Jerry..

Seriously Jerry, I couldn't agree with you more. That is really scary.

jerry

and also never has there been such a wide ranging group of knuckleheads with such noses for con men.posted in one place..we all spotted this Altman guy (Boomerfest) at the same time...to bad people that invested in the Puerto Libertad REIT didn't read the forum back in the day...they would be far richer today

[QUOTE: some are so intent on destruction that the have posted under different names etc. I don't see this type of action on othersites I visit and we do not need it here

Thanksfor reading Your friend Bill[/QUOTE]

What suggestions do you have for Stuart 'to bring it back'?

Also, this person could be stopped very easily on this site and what ever other sites he does this to. Cyberharassment ( annoy, abuse,threaten, harass) is a federal crime. If the powers to be don't do anything, then they enable this person and his behavior.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
I'm in full agreement with Wood Spinner (Bill), though I lack his sense of the forum's history. As a new resident and new forumisto this year, the small group of masturbatory posters who seem to service only their desire to see their own name in print probably drive thoughtful users away. Tough and thankless job, Stuart. But I hope the pay makes the effort worthwhile. :roll:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Tough and thankless job, Stuart. But I hope the pay makes the effort worthwhile. :roll:
My only pay for any of this is the friendships I've developed here. Seriously, that's it. But, I did detect that note of sarcasm... :puff:

rplarry

Little hard on Joe.....he just gets frustrated at all us old men yelling at clouds
I find it unbelievable how easy you guys go on Joe. What is the favoritism ?? Occasionally he posts something with common sense and worthwhile but it is ridiculous how many times he posts absolute HATE and RAGE and VULGARITY and VENOM without any rebuttal . Why is Joe protected when others who post such profanity and hate and they get banned?? (which is appropriate ! ) I think I know why, but that is no excuse.

Jerry, it's a little more than "getting frustrated as old men yelling at clouds".

While some comments can elicit some "gray", Joe can be very "black & white" with his nasty diatribe at times. Vulgarity on Joe's part is probably an understatement.

I know, this probably will not the most popular post because Joe does get some weird protection from the forum, but it is TRUE !!!!! He is a loose cannon. Just go back and read his nasty ramblings. In fact, they remind me a little of when Jerry came back on his HIGH-HORSE (no pun intended) form Amsterdam and found himself thrown in the slammer (banned from the forum) in no time.

MUST BE A HOOCH THING.....