Stuart help for the site

angler

Interesting thing is that Carroll O'Connor who played Archie was quite liberal.

I guess it was his way of protesting. You're right...it would never get out there today.

Too bad we don't have the good variety shows and good comedies these days.
You are kidding me right? Not get out today? Have you ever watched South Park? They gore everyone's ox......

Me personally, I don't have cable.

mis2810

Interesting thing is that Carroll O'Connor who played Archie was quite liberal.

I guess it was his way of protesting. You're right...it would never get out there today.

Too bad we don't have the good variety shows and good comedies these days.
I miss all of those shows. The Jeffersons, Welcome Back Kotter, Flip Wilson, etc. Remember "Love American Style"?

mis2810

Carol Burnett was one of my favorites. Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie. Even Tony Orlando and Dawn. Such good hearted silliness. Not pure violence and sex all the time on every single show. Don't even get me started on the lyrics to current pop songs now . . . it's disgusting.

Yes, I realize that I sound like the little old lady who screams at the neighborhood kids from her front porch!

GV Jack

Snorin God
You bet mis and I'm the old man across the street railing my cane at those young whippersnappers.

:hairout:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Carol Burnett was one of my favorites. Sonny and Cher, Donny and Marie. Even Tony Orlando and Dawn. Such good hearted silliness. Not pure violence and sex all the time on every single show. Don't even get me started on the lyrics to current pop songs now . . . it's disgusting.

Yes, I realize that I sound like the little old lady who screams at the neighborhood kids from her front porch!
No kid, that's me.....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Have you ever watched South Park? They gore everyone's ox......

Me personally, I don't have cable.
I love South Park simply for the fact that there is no such thing as a sacred cow with them. But it is only available via cable, unless you go buy DVDs or something to watch it. When the shows mentioned in this thread aired, there was no such thing as "cable." Most cities had the big three alphabet stations and some had a few UHF stations to boot... all free, all public TV. It's amazing Archie cut it back then, but as said, he'd be shot down in flames today as too racist.

joester

2 salty dawgs
Bill and Edna Hale are two of the most wonderful people you will ever meet! They help with all our charity things that we do in Rocky Point. Bill makes a wonderful fish fry with his tempura batter! I can't wait to go back to one of their wonderful dinners! They are quality people and I am proud to be their friend!
I agree - Bill + Edna are 2 of the nicest folks we have met and we SO look forward to time with them when we visit. I think it's 5 consecutive years of Thanksgiving with them at Chuck + Vals now - quality folks - the entire group!

as to tv shows, there's some funny shows there if you look on comedy central - something for everyone.
Tosh.O cracks me up.

Roberto

When the shows mentioned in this thread aired, there was no such thing as "cable." Most cities had the big three alphabet stations and some had a few UHF stations to boot... all free, all public TV.
Cable apparently came to different parts of the country at different times. We actually had cable in the late 1950's. Living in the mountains of Pa. broadcast reception was iffy at best as the stations were quite distant. There were 3 channels, two iffy and one pretty good. We got free cable back in those days because they needed to put a large junction box or signal amplifyer on the ground at certain intervals in town. Lucky us, we were selected and a 24x24x24 silver box was mounted next to our house. Some neighbors descovered they got a great signal if they aimed their antennas at the box. Unfortunately for us our signal went to crap then!!

mis2810

Cable apparently came to different parts of the country at different times. We actually had cable in the late 1950's. Living in the mountains of Pa. broadcast reception was iffy at best as the stations were quite distant. There were 3 channels, two iffy and one pretty good. We got free cable back in those days because they needed to put a large junction box or signal amplifyer on the ground at certain intervals in town. Lucky us, we were selected and a 24x24x24 silver box was mounted next to our house. Some neighbors descovered they got a great signal if they aimed their antennas at the box. Unfortunately for us our signal went to crap then!!
Anywhere near Palmerton, PA? Not far from Allentown?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I find it unbelievable how easy you guys go on Joe. What is the favoritism ?? Occasionally he posts something with common sense and worthwhile but it is ridiculous how many times he posts absolute HATE and RAGE and VULGARITY and VENOM without any rebuttal . Why is Joe protected when others who post such profanity and hate and they get banned?? (which is appropriate ! ) I think I know why, but that is no excuse.

People often tip-toe on eggshells when dealing with persons who have physical disabilities (although I doubt Joe expects any particular form of sympathy or special treatment).

But- you also have to keep in mind that much of Joe's "energy" is merely youthful pride and exuberance finding an often "unpolished" method of expression. :ugeek:

I have no idea why Joe has zeroed in so nastily on Bill, But if I know Bill well enough, I'm sure he's not losing any sleep over Joe's "disapproval" of his social mannerisms in the forum. :wink: I echo the sentiments of others here- Bill and Edna are great folks.

Funny thing is that Joe has mentioned on a couple occasions how he wished he could fish some of the more remote beaches, but can't do so unless he has help launching his kayak - and Bill Hale is the kind of guy that would probably lend that helping hand, if asked.

Funny how the bridges we sometimes choose to burn are the ones that lead to the destinations we dream of going... pure irony.

We all understand that there are people who aggravate us... that's simply a reality that goes with being human.

Joe simply needs to consider the fact that lashing out at people who bug you does about as much social good as pissing into the wind.

These are great responses. &nbsp;Very positive and I hope it carries over to the rest of the forum.<br><br>I for one would like to invite Mark, Rick Felder and Chuck back to the forum. &nbsp;I believe they always had good input and were good for all.