Tequila

joester

2 salty dawgs
check a site called tequila.net -
lots of user reviews, most of which I disagree with, which is to be expected.
as much as any other beverage, peoples' tastes are very different regarding tequila.
for example, Corazon reposado or anejo are my favorite tequilas I can find around town in the 50 dollar range. one reviewer had what I would consider marginal tequilas for sippin (don julio, cabo wabo, chinaco) rated WAY higher than corazon. go figure.
we all have different tastes, and that's what keeps in interesting!

Stuart said:
AZ Miguel said:
Oh hell, after the first 3 shots they all taste the same ;)
I'll give you that. The most important difference between GOOD tequila and AVERAGE tequila is not so much taste (although the good stuff is sooooo much smoother), but in the the way you feel the next day AFTER those 3+ shots!! I found that out years ago in Cabo drinking Tequila Sauza vs. the standard bar tequila. I paid extra for the top shelf stuff, while the rest of the gang drank whatever the hell they were serving. Way late night, very early morning, and I was the only one not feeling like death and puking my guts up when the water got a little rough fishing the next day. Live and learn, amigos! Hahahahah! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I take care of those problems after drinking.....with a couple Motrin....and PLENTY of water to hydrate!!! :lol: :lol:

joester

2 salty dawgs
have seen the rattlesnake tequila before, never had the urge to try it.
we did try the mota tequila once - just horrible tasting, and couldn't tell if
it had any other qualities because the taste was so bad.

joester

2 salty dawgs
more like dirt.
it was pretty horrible - in a gallon jar like sun tea - stalks of weed with some buds on them,
on the bar at panchos in cabo.
they also had the rattlesnake which we passed on.
did our own tasting with 6 of us - we each choose a shot to start -
from what I remember (it was 7 years ago) the choices we made to try were:
cuervo la reserva
la familia
porfidio
casa noble
XQ
some other forgettable one.....
we liked the XQ out of those the best, with casa noble right behind.
still really like those 2, but a bit pricy to buy bottles of. for regular use/abuse.
I think they run in the 60-80 range per fifth.
thinking of buying a bottle of don julio 1942 - saw some really interesting reviews -
one of these days.....
have a great weekend y'all!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Joe
Mota means marijuana in Spanish. Cannabis is the ingredient in marijuana. :lol:
Sorry, it was a bad joke. :mrgreen:

joester

2 salty dawgs
I know - :shock:
I guess my attempt at humor was even worse ;)
I tried to by sneaky with the "other qualities" part.
a carrrer in humor is probably not in my future,
better keep my day job :D

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
It's not you Joe, the stalks of weed with buds on them part got right by me. :roll: :oops: I need a vacation. :(

joester

2 salty dawgs
Re: Tequila - el conde azul reposado

well, I finally couldn't resist looking at that nice bottle of El Conde Azul reposado at Costco, and bought one. cracked it open Friday night - rather nice taste. shared it with a few other freinds who also like a good bluejuice - they all agreed it was good, but at $55/fifth, I probably won't buy it again. it was good, but not better than my Corazon I like so much.
just thought I'd pass it on in case any of you have looked at this on Costco, and wondered.....
is this any good? it's good, you wouldn't be disappointed by it - and would make a real nice gift -
but you may others you'll like more for the $$.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
All this talk about tequila open my appetite for one drink.....poured some Corralejo "Reposado", from the blue bottle in a snifer? a cognac glass, I have been told that to appreciate the real flavor it is better to sip it than to gulp it from a shot glass, it has a goldish tint to it and a very nice aroma, smooth yet penetrating and the best part is the flavor you can really taste the agave, mmmmmmm!!!!! I really like Corralejo, used to buy at Costco for $35 a fifth, they do not sell it in Tucson any more but now I buy it at Super ley for $20 a liter bottle.
If you all excuse me I am going to make an "ass" (as per JGMS) of my self and enjoy my Friday by sipping Corralejo
no tropical juices today!!!!
Jeff that it qualifies me as an "asshat"

jerry

E.....High end design/fabrication fueled by high end tequila....Might be a slogan for your business card and a way of life! If you are buying steel next week drop by the shop mid week. I want to get your opinion of something,,,,bring the bottle!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
hip!! well I dono if there hip!! will be any left by tomorrow, but I defenitely will stop by hip!! :mrgreen:

N

nojopo

Old Family Margarita Recipe

Our family keeps it simple- this is passed down from my Dad. Just remember 3-2-2:

3 parts tequila
2 parts fresh lime juice
2 parts triple sec

I find Grand Marnier too sweet for the 3-2-2 recipe. I must admit that although I am now more of an anejo sipper then a margarita drinker, I will use the best tequila I can afford even for my margaritas. Life's too short to skimp on taste.

Besides all of the fine tequila's list in this thread, I also like the new Costco Anejo $20/liter. Also the cheap reposado at Trader Joes ($14/liter) - its better then the premium they sell.

C

cactusamigo

nojopo - Good recipe for a triple sec margarita. However, I prefer a Controy margarita made with white tequila, such as Orandain Blanco. I use the recipe on the back of a bottle of Controy:

1 part Controy
3/4 part white tequila
1/2 part lime juice

Some add a splash of Squirt.

N

nojopo

Now that you mention it I do always use Controy when in Mexico. The recipe on the bottle translates to 3-4-2 (3 tequila, 4 Controy, 2 lime). That's just way too sweet for me. Needs more tequila and lime...

joester

2 salty dawgs
love the variations on a simple margarita recipe - we all have our own tastes and that's the way it should be!
viva tequila!!

Has anybody every been to "The Tequila Factory" in RP? I went last year and it was great. They let us take sample shots of all their different flavors and told us the story behind how it's made, where it's made, and all about the different kinds. The shots were free but a tip was in order. It's basically just a little little liquor store where they specialize in their own brand. I think the brand was Manny's but I can't recall right now. It was great though, I highly recommend it!