Tequila

garyd

The first one (website) is the one I got at Mickey's I also had jugs from his big cask in the restaurant.

Jeff

The Don Valente is the premium version of Tiquilito. They sell the Anejo version @ Mickeys for $55 USD. You can also purchase the Tiquilito and Don Vallente @ Vasquez Licores in Sonoyta.The Tiquilito is $10 USD. Mickeys is open 8-4 and closed on Wednesdays.

Godspeed Lupe. :mexico:

joester

2 salty dawgs
Gary -
did try the cassadores anejo this weekend - my friend picked it up in Maricopa for I think it was $37. it IS smoother than the reposado, but I still like my Corazon.
still working on the pomegranite marg recipe, practice, practice practice :)
if I'm approaching 50 bucks for a bottle, I rarely will buy it unless I have had it before, at least a taste. learned the hard way with the Azul and a few others.

garyd

I'll give that one a try. Do you have a good Margarita recipe using limes? I have tried 1 pat Tequila, 1 part lime juice and 1 part Grand Mariner (SP?) but it was a little to heavy and sour. Any secrets? GD :chef:

joester

2 salty dawgs
for a marg using key limes - this is the way we make them-
glass of ice - 3/4 full
one part tequila
1/2 part grand Marnier
1/2 key lime squeezed in press
1/4 to 1/3 part sweetner - we buy it at the Michigan store, it's made from fruits, it's almost a syrup - I'll have to look at a bottle we have at home for the name - comes in one-liter bottles for about 4 bucks.
one part cold bottled water
stir well.
I like a bit a more lime, and a touch more sweetener, wife likes a bit less lime and less sugar.
it comes out everyone likes it a bit different.

for the pomegranite margs :
one part tequila
1/2 part grand marnier
one part Trader Joes marg mix
3/4 part 100% pomegranite juice
1/3 part sweetener -
blend with LOTS of ice.

B

Beachbum

If this is a double post I apologize. Coulda sworn I already asked :?: but cant find it.

The wife and I are going down to RP in 2 weeks and jsut curious. How many bottles of Tequila can we bring back with us? Were staying at Las Palomas. Can we get the good stuff down by the fish market or just in town?

I havent been down there in 15 years so...

THX!

joester

2 salty dawgs
I would suggest the duty-free store, stop on your way back into AZ.
we drive thru customs and then park on the west side by the store.
go in and buy a bottle each, then walk arouind the palm tree and follow the pedestrian signs
thru to the customs office.
have your passports/ID ready with you on your person (don't forget in your car).
try the Corralejo anejo (tall red bottle) for $25usd - best buy for premium I have seen there so far.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Joester,
That pomegranate margarita sounds delish! I may have to make one of those this weekend!
Chari

joester

2 salty dawgs
TTT -
not that this really belongs in "Border", but to continue my post from earlier in this thread -
the syrup sweetener we use in our margs is labled this:
Madrilena Jarabe Natural Endulzante. All I get from that is the syrup part being natural.
anyways, we buy it at Michgan Market on our way in town. If anyone knows where this can be purchased in Phoenix area, I sure would appreciate a location, I'm almost out. (I gave away 2 bottles to framily who can't get to RP).
thanks - makes all the difference in the marg with just tequila, grand marnier and lime - and this syrup.
also makes the pomegranite marg just perfect!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Anybody want to buy my tequila collection? I'll never drink it and it just sits, getting dusty.
About a dozen bottles, all with Mexican tax stamp and unopened. Some old, some newer. I can provide a complete list if anybody's interested, but some are:

Don Tacho (Nopal bottle)

Hacienda Large (#65 of 200, collector Agave bottle, beautiful)

Roger Clyne's Mexican Moonshine- Yes, the real thing! Sold only once (that I know of) at one of his Circus Mexicus concerts and at JJ's Cantina. Only 1000 ever made, period.

La Cofradia - Ceramic Saguaro - seems like some of this has just evaporated through the ceramic over time because it sures feels lighter than full, but never opened.

Casa Noble - blue bottle

Milagro - pretty, but not unique bottle

Corrales - round blue bottle

Las Trancas - haven't seen this brand around much

300 Anos (bacanora, I've only found this once in 20 years, very nice bottle)

Tequila Chamucos (2 bottles)

Tequilitos

All are reposado, even the bacanora. Roger Clyne's Mexican Moonshine is an anejo. All or nothing deal; serious offers only. If you know tequila, then you know the top two on the list fetch about $100 each. :mexico:

On edit: Blue brand names are links to the ones I could readily find. Bottles and tequila are same as shown in the links. :sunny:

joester

2 salty dawgs
Stuart -
that's quite the assortment, and as much as I have tried, some of your list I have never heard of, let alone taste.
I can vouch for the quality of the casa noble - very good stuff.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
AZ Miguel said:
Oh hell, after the first 3 shots they all taste the same ;)
I'll give you that. The most important difference between GOOD tequila and AVERAGE tequila is not so much taste (although the good stuff is sooooo much smoother), but in the the way you feel the next day AFTER those 3+ shots!! I found that out years ago in Cabo drinking Tequila Sauza vs. the standard bar tequila. I paid extra for the top shelf stuff, while the rest of the gang drank whatever the hell they were serving. Way late night, very early morning, and I was the only one not feeling like death and puking my guts up when the water got a little rough fishing the next day. Live and learn, amigos! Hahahahah! :lol: :lol: :lol: