The Elephant in the Room...THE WALL

GV Jack

Snorin God
Interesting conversation here. I joined the forum quite some time ago because I wanted to learn more about Rocky Point specifically and Mexico, generally.
It was every bit as informative as I had hoped. Not only did I learn, I also met a number of folks that have become friends and also who made it possible
for me to contribute, in a little way to those in need there. The forum was full of information about life in Rocky Point, the Sea of Cortez and such.

Now, most of the folks that were contributing then are gone. If you are a fisherman, this is a great site. I'm not, however, I enjoy the stories and am amazed at the
ability of folks to pull in those huge creatures, but I wish they would throw back. The information on the gas situation was helpful and I wish there were more
discussions about roads, food and the things that the folks in Rocky Point need. We used to have many posts about what can be done to help.

In April, I will return for our annual NFL Draft party. Because of age and physical limitations, that could well be my last rodeo there. I hope not, but being realistic
it's quite possible. I want to thank the forum for helping me to appreciate Rocky Point and the Mexican people. What I learned has served me well. A special thanks
to Roberto, Seadweller, yes you too Jerry and Kenny and Lady Jeeper. I may disagree sometimes with their politics, but they have given me many insights to the history
of this wonderful place. I will miss it, but mostly I will miss the wonderful Mexican people and the friends I have made there.

Later.

jerry

Well Known Member
Senator Rios Piter’s bill states, “In cases where the property/assets of (our) fellow citizens or companies are affected by a foreign government, as Donald Trump has threatened, the Mexican government should proportionally expropriate assets and properties of foreigners from that country on our territory.”
We are screwed....

Landshark

Well Known Member
Senator Rios Piter’s bill states, “In cases where the property/assets of (our) fellow citizens or companies are affected by a foreign government, as Donald Trump has threatened, the Mexican government should proportionally expropriate assets and properties of foreigners from that country on our territory.”
We are screwed....
All over a wall that won't work even if it could be built. Seems to me there must be a better approach to stopping illegal immigration than building a wall. What do you guys think? A complete overhaul of our immigration laws? If we can't keep them from crossing the border, then why can't we come up with a way to make immigration work for us? It may be impossible, but maybe not. It could be a massive work force willing to do jobs we really don't want to do. Thoughts??

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
All over a wall that won't work even if it could be built. Seems to me there must be a better approach to stopping illegal immigration than building a wall. What do you guys think? A complete overhaul of our immigration laws? If we can't keep them from crossing the border, then why can't we come up with a way to make immigration work for us? It may be impossible, but maybe not. It could be a massive work force willing to do jobs we really don't want to do. Thoughts??
:beatsme:

Landshark

Well Known Member
Yeah, maybe a dumbass idea. But so is the wall. Brought this up to see if anybody had any better ideas that a wall.

jerry

Well Known Member
Yeah, maybe a dumbass idea. But so is the wall. Brought this up to see if anybody had any better ideas that a wall.
A national ID card used for all commerce would do a lot of good....if we really wanted to get rid of this bargain work force......a 35% tax on wiring money would be a way for trump to pay for his wall..
..then the shit hits the fan

JimMcG

Well Known Member
Interesting conversation here. I joined the forum quite some time ago because I wanted to learn more about Rocky Point specifically and Mexico, generally.
It was every bit as informative as I had hoped. Not only did I learn, I also met a number of folks that have become friends and also who made it possible
for me to contribute, in a little way to those in need there. The forum was full of information about life in Rocky Point, the Sea of Cortez and such.

Now, most of the folks that were contributing then are gone. If you are a fisherman, this is a great site. I'm not, however, I enjoy the stories and am amazed at the
ability of folks to pull in those huge creatures, but I wish they would throw back. The information on the gas situation was helpful and I wish there were more
discussions about roads, food and the things that the folks in Rocky Point need. We used to have many posts about what can be done to help.

In April, I will return for our annual NFL Draft party. Because of age and physical limitations, that could well be my last rodeo there. I hope not, but being realistic
it's quite possible. I want to thank the forum for helping me to appreciate Rocky Point and the Mexican people. What I learned has served me well. A special thanks
to Roberto, Seadweller, yes you too Jerry and Kenny and Lady Jeeper. I may disagree sometimes with their politics, but they have given me many insights to the history
of this wonderful place. I will miss it, but mostly I will miss the wonderful Mexican people and the friends I have made there.

Later.
Sorry, Jack but you haven't been excused yet. We'll tell you when you can go. Meanwhile keep on commenting.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Not a dumb idea at all. And when these millions of jobs they vacate can't be filled because no one wants to do the job for less than 75k a year then what?
You already see the response in agriculture. Instead of hiring "American" workers the owners are buying machines. That's great for the handfuls of factory builders but that will come to an end after the initial buy phase it will become a service based business.
Oh well. Only thing to do is wait and see now. If it works then I will be willing to say I was wrong, no problem. But if it doesn't I bet not one person that is for this crap would do the same.
Somehow it will still be a Mexicans fault.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Done. Rants is still there for the moment as those users transition to a new invisible forum that can only be seen or accessed by permission.
Hey, I really do want all to be happy.
At one time it was, don't you remember? We had to ask and then we were given a separate password to access rant's and rave's. At that time when you logged in and hit "new post's, Rant's and Rave's post's were not shown, but it was on the list of sub topics. I'll bet Tyler remembers and more than a few others as well.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
At one time it was, don't you remember? We had to ask and then we were given a separate password to access rant's and rave's. At that time when you logged in and hit "new post's, Rant's and Rave's post's were not shown, but it was on the list of sub topics. I'll bet Tyler remembers and more than a few others as well.
What's old is new again. :thumbsup:

jerry

Well Known Member
This translated Impartial story about Mexican willingness to tear up an unfavorable NAFTA would ruin sonora... we would be put in danger...After a meeting with the Political Coordination Board of the Senate of the Republic, in which the benches gave him his support, the chancellor held a press conference where he assured that a win-win negotiation would be sought.

"Of course Mexico will not accept conditions that are unfavorable to the nation's interest, particularly in trade matters if the Tlcan is modified." The President of the Republic said yesterday that it has to be from a win-win premise, Has to be something positive for Mexico, not what hurts our country, "he said.

"And of course, we will not accept any renegotiation of the Tlcan, there is always the possibility of abandoning the Treaty and then governing the trade between Mexico and the United States from the rules of the World Trade Organization, that is not our preference and "Our proposal is to work to have a better Free Trade Agreement for Mexico and also for the United States," he said.

Videgaray said that if the proposal to modify the Tlcan comes unfavorably for Mexico, "of course there are limits that we can not accept and there is always that option, which is certainly not the best for Mexico, but it is naturally another option" .

"The fundamental nature of a Free Trade Agreement is that trade is free, free of tariffs, free of quotas," he said.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
What a total bolsa de caca de caballo.......

"The fundamental nature of a Free Trade Agreement is............."

This has never been the case and I know it as a fact. All that agreement did was form a new ripoff base for USA finger dippers to get a cut off of your stuff cummin into the US. You need an import license, pay an agent on both sides of the border, gotta pay for a US and Mexican customs agents time and after all of that you still gotta pay a fee of 30% or more depending on the contents and the value of your load.

I used to do a weekly run to San Luis RC to bring back a few thousand dollars worth of auto parts and come back to the USA with no hassle. Once NAFTA went into effect it was all over with. It's always been there for the big guys in the produce business and auto parts manufacturers like Ford.

Ever see hundreds of big rigs in line waiting to get into Mexico? Of course not. Mexico gets it's crap from China. The line of Mexican big rigs waiting to get into the USA are loaded with produce picked at fifty cents and hour and automobile components assembled at seventy five cents and hour.

None of it was ever intended to be "free trade".

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
What a total bolsa de caca de caballo.......

"The fundamental nature of a Free Trade Agreement is............."

This has never been the case and I know it as a fact. All that agreement did was form a new ripoff base for USA finger dippers to get a cut off of your stuff cummin into the US. You need an import license, pay an agent on both sides of the border, gotta pay for a US and Mexican customs agents time and after all of that you still gotta pay a fee of 30% or more depending on the contents and the value of your load.

I used to do a weekly run to San Luis RC to bring back a few thousand dollars worth of auto parts and come back to the USA with no hassle. Once NAFTA went into effect it was all over with. It's always been there for the big guys in the produce business and auto parts manufacturers like Ford.

Ever see hundreds of big rigs in line waiting to get into Mexico? Of course not. Mexico gets it's crap from China. The line of Mexican big rigs waiting to get into the USA are loaded with produce picked at fifty cents and hour and automobile components assembled at seventy five cents and hour.

None of it was ever intended to be "free trade".

JJ
Jim...the disruption will be huge...not even counting 2018 leftist victory.You do know the reason Arizona just got that new electric car plant is Sonoran plants will built the more labor intensive parts...dirtier too....head to AP or Juarez (largest producer of led TVs in the world) and tell me it's just farm products...we are intertwined... sometimes it's complicated!

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Another topic of concern............

What is the current fuel situation in Penasco? Is gas and diesel available? Can someone who is there right now get me an answer?

With the chit hittin the fan today, I've decided to head down and retrieve my Wrangler and get it back to Yuma before it looks like the withdrawal from the embassy in Saigon.

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
My buddies gass up today no problem but around Feb 6 ....watch out...nationwide protests and attempts to block terminals......worse places to be stuck is the silver lining