Thunder on the beach!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Memorial day is non wing sprints. Stay with the positive, with the things you love and it is attractive. Go negative and you lose. This is a good thing all the way around. I understand several racetracks will close on these weekends to support the Rocky Point Track.

Kenny

Memorial day is non wing sprints. Stay with the positive, with the things you love and it is attractive. Go negative and you lose. This is a good thing all the way around. I understand several racetracks will close on these weekends to support the Rocky Point Track.
Anyone who knows me, knows I've been around open wheeled racing all my life and you won't find a bigger supporter. I've even been to the track to watch them with a few people on this forum, including HAPPY!
That said, don't give me any of your Pom pom's in the face Russ. I only posted what I know as facts, and how it is as of now in the sprint car community that I'm very close to. Yes Canyon will be closed, and USA in Tucson is not running
Sprints that weekend, and the ASCS doesn't have a scheduled race at all. That's all good. Now I know Kevin Montgomery who runs the ASCS here in AZ, and last weekend before the race at Canyon he gave me this great news http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forum.cfm?ThreadID=55906 but not a word about Mexico. If only 13 cars will show up for a non sanctioned ASCS race at new facilities east of Phoenix, and with a decent purse..enough said.

Last edited:

Kenny

Memorial day is non wing sprints.
Memorial day weekend is traditionally the biggest open wheel racing weekend across our country, the USA, starting with the Indy 500. With the way our tracks are struggling here in AZ and across this country, I'm not sure what kind of support you'll get. As a whole, the open wheel community is very conservative, and they just might not like the idea of not racing at home on Memorial Day weekend, and they will have a lot of traditional choices for that weekend.
As far as Monster Trucks are concerned..Just keep em off the beach.

Last edited:

Kenny

One more thing..That "hole" that you call it blocked our access to one of the best shore fishing and snorkeling area's close to town, and I'm still pissed about that! :lobster:

T

TucRick

thats a lot of money in fuel and passports that crews would have to get (at least $400), as much as i love dirt track racing and rocky point, i dont see it being a success if it even did happen

Kenny

thats a lot of money in fuel and passports that crews would have to get (at least $400), as much as i love dirt track racing and rocky point, i dont see it being a success if it even did happen
I've posted this on Robbie Allen's (see message board) site, it's mainly for AZ, but also for all of our open wheel community. So far 91 people have looked at it in apparent disbelief; but you can be sure it's being checked out as I write this. http://www.abcmotorsports.com/ You might want to check back if your interested in what they say when they do reply.
I've also posted it Cali's non wing SCRAFAN.COM forum, but you don't want to read what was said there. I'm already defending PP on that forum.

Last edited:

Terry C

IMO it would take a lot of work for the surface. MANZY had a dirt base with a clay surface that held moisture. What would they use there? Sand with a colitiche top? I know the spelling is wrong... Just a thought.
If it goes and I hope it will, I would be there to see it.

Kenny

My friend Sean responded to my post like this.

Better get me a darn passport then. Sounds like a party to me!!
Sean,
Tucson

T

TucRick

i dont doubt people would show up to watch, but unless they have a huge payout, including a good amount just to start, i dont see a lot of racers making the trip. say an average crew of 3 need a passport, thats about 200. the fuel just to get down there is going to be 200 to 400 depending on the size of the truck/hauler, if it is a 2 day show, thats a couple hundred for a place to stay, plus food. your gonna be at 800-1000 just to go. plus, taking a race car across the border is a hassle, i know people that have done it. with the economy still not back to strength, i just dont see a lot of race teams making that trip. it cant even be used as a mini vacation for the teams since there is so much work to do on the cars between races, i would love to see it, just dont think they will get the turnout, but i hope i am wrong

Kenny

Ask the people that owned Manzanita Speedway if they think its possible in RP... lawl
That was a very sneaky deal Joe. After getting Manzy for a spit because of his long good standing in AZ's racing community, Mel Martin sold Manzy out the back door on the sly. The man's name as the promoter, along with his brothers is on a 1962 program I have from a Champ dirt car race at the old fairgrounds that I attended in the 8th grade,1962. Manzy was sold to Mel with the thought that he would take care of our historic facility. Manzy by most people's thoughts in the community would still be operating now, if it hadn't have been sold to a Crane Co that hasn't done a thing with that property as of yet. Mel Martin was voted out of the Arizona Motor sports Hall of fame by the member's, and that was happily announced by Windy MacDonald at a hall of fame race in Tucson.
Anyone remember this? http://www.savethetracks.com/

Last edited:
Not gas, fuel...Methanol, and I love that smell..http://www.world-sprintcar-guide.com/sprint-car-engines.html
For the most part Southern Cali and AZ is traditional sprint car country-non wing.
Well...the fuel issue would kill it right there. I've gotten hassled at the border just bringing a couple 5 gallon jugs of fuel on my jetski trailer. Can you imagine what would happen with a barrel or two? And don't talk to me about the city(Penasco) or state of Sonora making arrangements for that. I've seen what happens when some people try to bring down used computer equipment for charitable purposes, and have "paperwork" from the city....it still doesn't make it down!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Thanks for getting the word out Kenny, its funny I know Robbie up in Cottonwood we will see what his take is on this. He hasn't been down to RP since the fishermen blocked the road one day in a gvt protest I think it must have scared him. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago maybe I will see if he wants to come back down and see what is really going on here.

Kenny

Thanks for getting the word out Kenny, its funny I know Robbie up in Cottonwood we will see what his take is on this. He hasn't been down to RP since the fishermen blocked the road one day in a gvt protest I think it must have scared him. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago maybe I will see if he wants to come back down and see what is really going on here.
Robbie is a great guy, and he's a one guy you can always count on to be there for our sport. He was instrumental in getting those Sprint car races together at the new track outside of Phoenix, and even though he's also racing for point's with ASCS, he had his car out there for both shows.
This is very strange... Even though 169 people, and I'd say there all from the AZ racing community, not one person has commented on your announcement! http://abcteam.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=182443

That was a very sneaky deal Joe. After getting Manzy for a spit because of his long good standing in AZ's racing community, Mel Martin sold Manzy out the back door on the sly. The man's name as the promoter, along with his brothers is on a 1962 program I have from a Champ dirt car race at the old fairgrounds that I attended in the 8th grade, 1962. Manzy was sold to Mel with the thought that he would he would take care of our historic facility. Manzy would by most people's thoughts in the community would still be operating now if it hadn't have been sold to a Crane Co that hasn't done a thing with that property as of now. Mel Martin was voted out of the Arizona Motor sports Hall of fame by the member's, and that was happily announced by Windy MacDonald at a hall of fame race in Tucson.
Anyone remember this? http://www.savethetracks.com/
It's really too bad Keith Hall lost Manzy. I have all the inside information going all the way back to the beginning and the way the track was basically taken away from him was terrible. If Keith still owned Manzanita it would still be the best place in AZ to go watch some open wheel racing. We would still have an outlet to go watch the World of Outlaws and USAC Sprints every year. It's really too bad.

Now about the race in RP: I have heard through many people in the "know" that this will happen and is already set in stone and approved with the local governments as far as permits, etc. I honestly believe there will be a good turnout as far as the crowd goes and that should lead to a pretty good purse. The question is how many cars will they get? I've heard in talking to a few car owners and association officials that they are expecting quite a few cars to head down for this event. Something like this is not really about the money for these guys, it's more about the experience. I used to race sprint cars myself and if I were still in the game I would be down there in a heartbeat.

Kenny

I've heard in talking to a few car owners and association officials that they are expecting quite a few cars to head down for this event.
Would you care to say what assocation? If it's sprint cars in AZ there's only one, so I'd say that was a loaded question. If they are expecting quite a few cars, it's funny that no one is going near that thread to the tune of 160+ views. Truth is, it's not only not a hot topic out there right now, it's being looked at on Robbies forum as if they can't believe it, even though most know me on there.
I guess you know that Lealand has, and has had a place in Cholla Bay for years.

Last edited:

Kenny

This is the BIG NEWS in AZ Sprint car racing.

The Hall of Fame Classic Returns USAC Sprint Cars to Arizona

Kevin Montgomery PEORIA, Ariz. (June 16th, 2011) - As we approach summer and look to the future as to what the second half of 2011 may bring us, traditional Sprint Car fans can mark their calendar for October 28th and 29th as Canyon Speedway will host the Hall of Fame Classic featuring the stars of the United States Auto Club Sprint Cars.

The Hall of Fame Classic found a home at the Peoria, Arizona race track in 2010 and has quickly become one of the marquee events of the 30 year old facility. The October event will mark the return of USAC Sprint Cars to the Valley of the Sun since the closing of Manzanita Speedway in April 2009. The combination of USAC Sprint Cars and the tradition of the Hall of Fame Classic will likely make for a formidable West Coast Sprint Car event.

"Kevin Montgomery and I have been working on this event for a while now and we are happy to see USAC coming back to Arizona," commented Chris Kearns of USAC. "This will be a great event with an impressive purse and a great start to the USAC Western Swing."

The Arizona Motorsports Hall of Fame was founded in 1986 when the first 10 members were inducted. Since its inception, more than 80 new members have been elected to the elite group that is occupied with a rich racing heritage, one that is abundant with tradition and prestige. The members list is impressive and each of them has made a considerable impact on racing across the country.

The two night USAC Sprint Car event, honoring Hall of Fame members and new inductees, will feature two complete nights of 410 Sprint Car action with the winner of Friday nights preliminary event pocketing $2500 and the eventual Hall of Fame Classic Champion taking home a $5000 payday on Saturday nights finale.

To keep up on all the latest news and happenings please sign up for Canyon Speedway E-News. The track update registration can be found at the top of the home page: www.canyonspeedwaypark.com

The 2011 Canyon Speedway Schedule can be previewed online at: http://www.canyonspeedwaypark.com/schedule.html

Canyon Speedway Park is located in North Peoria off Lake Pleasant Parkway, then 1.3 miles West on Carefree Highway. For more information please, contact the track at 602-258-RACE(7223) or additional information regarding Canyon Speedway Park can be found at www.canyonspeedwaypark.com

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
This is the BIG NEWS in AZ Sprint car racing.

Gee Kenny thanks for highjacking my thread. ha ha

Since this forum is about things going on in Mexico, I still win.

So far it looks like 80 cars will be here for the first race.

Lucas oil is in the ring.

respectable purse

Lots of vacation giveaways

Fuel concerns eliminated

All good, all good!

Kenny

Lucas oil is the main sponsor for the national winged ASCS sprint car series out of Oklahoma, and is owned and ran by Emmitt hahn. Our local ASCS non winged series is one of many regional groups, and like I said before, their the only non winged, traditonal sprint car group. http://www.ascsracing.com/
If our regional ASCS group gets the go ahead to run a points race down there, it could be OK. Last year they ran two shows at Perri's speedway in Cali, and it was just so so as far as fan support go's. Some of our drivers were given some incentive $ to haul over there, because the ASCS is always looking to expand. That said; without the ASCS even that new track right outside of Phoenix, and expecting a full house with a decent purse, had a hard time fielding cars. The racing was terrific though. There's going to have to be more than a few things to consider than what has been mentioned so far though, and two of them are big.... Safety, and insurance for the drivers.

Last edited: