Ultralites on Sandy Beach

I myself love the noise of fireworks, police sirens the fire department band playing music at 3:00a.m.. It's the noise of life in Mexico and it for me is peaceful. Sounds odd but if it is without these sounds, it,s creepy.
I agree Caostie... it's 7:30am and I can here the "Drive By Tamale Car" with their loud speaker selling tamales in the barrio... we had the Cinco de Mayo band playing until 2am the night before last and the night before that was a 15th birthday party for the girl across the street that went on until 3am... I wouldn't be able to sleep without the sounds of mi barrio...

Last edited:

garyd

Wow, all this over a muffler!!! What an easy pot to stir. Just for clarification I love being on Sandy Beach. I loved it in my trailer, my 5th wheel and now my condo. I am not losing sleep nor do I want to get anything banned. I just personally felt that the ultralites flying over the beach and very low I might add were very loud and was it something that could be muffled not banned. I can tell by the input that my thought was a minority thought and should have been spoken with my inside voice. Again thanks for the input.

Wow, all this over a muffler!!! What an easy pot to stir. Just for clarification I love being on Sandy Beach. I loved it in my trailer, my 5th wheel and now my condo. I am not losing sleep nor do I want to get anything banned. I just personally felt that the ultralites flying over the beach and very low I might add were very loud and was it something that could be muffled not banned. I can tell by the input that my thought was a minority thought and should have been spoken with my inside voice. Again thanks for the input.
garyd if I were you I wouldn't let it bother me, unless you see the ultralites flocking together and circling above your head like vultures... then you may need one of those giant sling-shots Joe was talking about...

S

Submarine

Actually, if you look at those motors they probably do have mufflers. All of the ones I've looked at, and maybe most ultralites in general, run Rotax motors because, well, they're light which is in keeping with the whole concept. However, these are most likely running at 8000-9000 RPM's which is going to make a lot of noise. 2 stroke motors produce their peak horsepower at higher RPM's so it's a necessary evil and the muffler isn't going to be all that effective. Some types are full of fiberglass packing which needs to be replaced periodically as it burns up but in my experience none of those types of mufflers worked very well and the ones that do are highly restrictive.

The Rotax is the same motor in Seadoo jetskis which muffle the noise by having the exhaust outlet under the waterline and a 'muffler' we call a waterbox that is basically a chamber with two outlets that forces the exhaust through water before exiting the PWC. Other than that Seadoo has a propietary De-sea-bel system that, as I understand it, muffles noise from the engine compartment. All of this is, of course, impossible on an Ultralite aircraft.

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ i like men and wish i had my own condo. ~~~

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny

Please don't feed the animals. (see above)
It makes them come around humans more often, and then they might have to be "relocated".

What is the obsession with trying to alienate condo owners?? I know you think you are funny but there is an underlying hostility.

S

Submarine

Perhaps you weren't around then but let me tell you of a time when there was only Las Gaviotas (then known as Penasco Beach Club) and a little old trailer park called Playa Bonita. From there all the way down Sandy Beach there wasn't anything to spoil the playa hermosa until you got to the camping area. There wasn't even the Reef Bar there so for years you had to drive into Town or across the desert to Cholla Bay and JJ's Cantina where the party never stopped. The Devil looked up at this sleepy little fishing village and thought "I see opportunity". Man was weak and so in came the Developers and the fences went up. Then the concrete and rebar started sprouting like weeds and soon pigeon coops were erected everywhere along Sandy Beach. Soon the four horses of the Apocalypse brought in Californians flush with cash to the Valley of the Sun where they bought cheap McMansions for a pittance and had plenty of gold left over to buy a Condo along Sandy Beach. Like a malestrom of locusts they descended, driving their Hummers and Cadillac Escalades towing trailers filled with Rhino's and Ranger's, demanding sacrifice from the lamb known as Puerto Penasco. And so many fortunes were made but the Devil is also suceptible to the deadly sins and greed soon became his downfall. The Devil had seen opportunity in the Land of the Free also but didn't realize so many would be easily swayed to give in to the enticement of greed. Now Puerto Penasco hangs on by a thread, trying to keep the Condos from truly turning into oversized pigeon coops. We, humble men, must learn from the sins of many and work tirelessly to right the wrongs of our past.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, I tread into this thread with trepidation, (how's that for alliteration?) and will say; I could not sleep at Playa Miramar if there was not very loud music coming from the Tropics until 4 A.M., the Mexican Navy with their trumpets at daybreak, the 2:30 A.M. train coming thru from Mexicali to Hermosillo blowing the horn and Lupe, the burrito lady, walking thru the park at 8 A.M. saying, "burritos, tortillas, churros" and the errant 360 blown up and knocking me out of bed at all hours. The Palapa fires were spectacular. So were the transformer fires. The Brisa would touch them off. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Mi Barrio, the Mirador. Oh, the memories.....

cholla

Perhaps you weren't around then but let me tell you of a time when there was only Las Gaviotas (then known as Penasco Beach Club) and a little old trailer park called Playa Bonita. From there all the way down Sandy Beach there wasn't anything to spoil the playa hermosa until you got to the camping area. There wasn't even the Reef Bar there so for years you had to drive into Town or across the desert to Cholla Bay and JJ's Cantina where the party never stopped. The Devil looked up at this sleepy little fishing village and thought "I see opportunity". Man was weak and so in came the Developers and the fences went up. Then the concrete and rebar started sprouting like weeds and soon pigeon coops were erected everywhere along Sandy Beach. Soon the four horses of the Apocalypse brought in Californians flush with cash to the Valley of the Sun where they bought cheap McMansions for a pittance and had plenty of gold left over to buy a Condo along Sandy Beach. Like a malestrom of locusts they descended, driving their Hummers and Cadillac Escalades towing trailers filled with Rhino's and Ranger's, demanding sacrifice from the lamb known as Puerto Penasco. And so many fortunes were made but the Devil is also suceptible to the deadly sins and greed soon became his downfall. The Devil had seen opportunity in the Land of the Free also but didn't realize so many would be easily swayed to give in to the enticement of greed. Now Puerto Penasco hangs on by a thread, trying to keep the Condos from truly turning into oversized pigeon coops. We, humble men, must learn from the sins of many and work tirelessly to right the wrongs of our past.

Very nice, I remember when we used to ride the 3 wheelere into the depository and load up with cases of beer and ride them back to camp on Sandy beach. There were no stinkin condos in the way !!

John

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yep used to drive my 66 Bronco from the area around the reef back to the Corona store on main street and load up on beer water cola and ice and head back down the beach, who needs roads? Then we would sit out in front of our 1947 Spartan trailer and nobody was around but our family and friends....good times. By the way I am scared of ultralights

gyarbs

Why does it seem that these days the majority have to bow down to the wants and needs of the minority? Seriously if you dont like the Mexico experience for what it is dont try and change it with a bunch of rules and regs (Americanize) I happen to love the buz of the ultralites, just find another place to spend your time rather than try and change it please.

These are the reasons we stay in the Mirador area, rather than the sandy beach area--there's not as much "action". And I too could not sleep at night if it weren't for all the goings on around me. It's all part of Rocky Point................just take it or leave it, don't try to change it.

ernesto

Right on. Sounds like you are rolling with the inevitable change. Some of the others need to get over it.Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but there is nothing beautiful about a trailer park.

Last edited:
Right on. Sounds like you are rolling with the inevitable change. Some of the others need to get over it.Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but there is nothing beautiful about a trailer park.
Ermesto....I think you're mixing apples and oranges....or is it limes and guacamole....no one is talking about "beauty"....what has been discussed is some of the "noises" that are part of the "ambiance" of Penasco, and some noises that are not....like the ultralight.

And by the way, the rv parks were there way before the "beauty" of the condos!!:stir: To each his own..... Some people find beauty in the HUMMER (or H2/H3), while others think they're ugly as sin! To some a vehilce is just a piece of transportation, and to some an rv is a means to an end....a way to enjoy the pleasures of Penasco.....

The ultralight, when it arrived to Penasco, used to fly right off the beach down between Playa Bonita and what used to be Plazas Glorias. It flew a bit out past Playa Bonita down sandy beach and usually somewhat over the water, or along the beach. It usually flew in the late afternoon up to about sunset....and when it was low tide, so it could land/takeoff down on the beach. I don't recall it flying for more than a couple of hours. Back then, there was only the Princessa out past Playa Bonita. Now I believe it flys out from the Reef. I also don't recall it spewing smoke in those days.

Back in the days when I was staying at Playa Bonita, the quads could be a pain in the a$$. Occasionally there were some families that "got rid of their kids" so that mommy and daddy could start partying in the early afternoon, by sending them off to ride right in front of Playa Bonita. The kids would be doing figure eights for hours without supervision, riding all the way up to the park beachfront wall and kicking up sand and spewing fumes on to the rv's parking along the beachfront spaces. They did not ride in front of the area where their parents were camping. The fumes were sometimes so bad, I felt like I was in rush hour traffic with the windows open! That had absolutely nothing to do with the "sights and sounds of Mexico"...or of quads in general(this is NOT an anti-quad/atv commentary!!)....it was just a bunch of inconsiderate a$$holes. The quad traffic in front of Playa Bonita could be so bad, trying to walk down to the beach was like trying to cross a main street with no light.

So I should have just "rolled with the inevitable change?" I was overjoyed when the local police would crack down on some of the a$$holes riding the quads (although it was usually cracking down on the gringos and not the locals)! And you'd be surprised what one of those stunt kites doing a little dive bombing would do to alter the track of an a$$hole riding a quad (not that I would ever intentionally hit a rider :stir::evil:)!

Just maybe the people commenting negatively about the ultralight feel the same way, especially with the fumes and if it's continually flying and "buzzing" in front of the condos????? It has nothing to do with "Americanizing" Penasco, or imposing rules and regulations. It has to do with "consideration" for the "majority" over the "I'm going to do whatever the hell I please" by the "minority"!

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I agree with the Jetski issue. At least here in the states there are boyoued ( dont know if i spelled that right and dont care ) no wake zones and serious sanctions can be imposed upon the operator of the watercraft. There needs to be a 50 to 100 yard no wake zone off of the beach on Sandy Beach. In the busier months its crazy to think that something hasnt happened yet. The banana boats are guilty here as well. Then again, thats Mexico and with nobody to educate safety this will continue to be a problem. Its the same reason why the locals dont stop at stop signs/ drive on the wrong side of the road. Setting aside laws, my parents would have smacked me upside the head...