Ultralites on Sandy Beach

garyd

I am not sure if I spelled it correctly (Ultralites) but I was wondring if I am the only one that thinks they need to go away. The constant buzzing sound (roar of the engines) and the fear that they will hit someone or something the way they fly is driving me crazy and takes away the pleasure of being at the beach. Does anyone know what steps one would take to get them to fly further away from the beach and the condos and stop the feeling that one is at an airport? I have already tried more cerveza and tequila but it does not help.

P

Penasco Pirate

Maybe you should go and fly with them! I've gone a couple of times and we have a tradition of ftying one of our friends when we go. It is very exhilerating!! We have buzzed the dolphins and flown over the Malecon a couple of times, truly a special trip everyone should take. I do agree that they could fly away from the beach though.

I'll stay on the water...

Birds and Bees are in the sky... this isn't the way I want to fly...
I might try this one day, but on one that doesn't smoke so much...
I know I can swim, I'll stay on the water...

[video=facebook;383182173362]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=383182173362[/video]

Last edited:
A

AZrockpoint

Shows you how two people can see the same thing totally different. I love the Ultralites flying over Sandy Beach. They are fun to watch fly back and forth, buzzing the ocean. Have never flown in one, probably just need a little Cerveza courage!

Now I do think someone needs to do something about the Jetskis near the resorts. I have seen a few near misses with swimmers and this seems to be a disaster in the making. At the very least, areas should be cordoned off in front of the major resorts.

garyd

I agree they ar fun to watch but they are sooooo loud. Have you had them fly over you? After the 10th time during an afternoon it gets annoying. The one in the picture seems to make the most noise. If anyone knows who owns it or any of them can you ask them if they can be muffled?

Shows you how two people can see the same thing totally different. I love the Ultralites flying over Sandy Beach. They are fun to watch fly back and forth, buzzing the ocean. Have never flown in one, probably just need a little Cerveza courage!

Now I do think someone needs to do something about the Jetskis near the resorts. I have seen a few near misses with swimmers and this seems to be a disaster in the making. At the very least, areas should be cordoned off in front of the major resorts.
The matter of jetskis has been "discussed" in another thread....and I think most of the "problems" are a result of rental skis.....people are allowed to take them out with minimal knowledge and treat them like most of us do with rental cars.....or anything else we may rent (quads/atv's). I recall one of the resorts tried to cordone off the beach in front a couple of years ago....I doubt that was legal. I haven't seen that the past year or so.

Hey Jerry....how would you like to have that "eggbeater" flying over your area...spewing all of that pollution? you think he was burning a bit of oil??? :stir: That was one of the legitimate complaints years ago about the 2 stroke jetskis....the pollution...most of that has been cleaned up with 2 strokes that went fuel injected, and going to 4 stroke.....

I agree they ar fun to watch but they are sooooo loud. Have you had them fly over you? After the 10th time during an afternoon it gets annoying. The one in the picture seems to make the most noise. If anyone knows who owns it or any of them can you ask them if they can be muffled?
How about one of those big rubber band water balloon slingshots???:stir::stir::stir:

Attachments

Last edited:
The first time that I saw one of these, the pilot landed on the beach. Some ladies gathered are were looking at it. The pilot strapped her in, and flew off with her. I want one. By the way; how come the people that were here first always have to go away so that condo people are happy?

When I first noticed this ultralight I thought he was trying to do some "Sky-Writing", then I noticed it was just burning oil... I'm sure it must have been an incorrect oil to gas ratio causing it, but something that smokes that much shouldn't be allowed in the sky...

I may have to take a ride soon... I would love to get some video from above...

The first time that I saw one of these, the pilot landed on the beach. Some ladies gathered are were looking at it. The pilot strapped her in, and flew off with her. I want one. By the way; how come the people that were here first always have to go away so that condo people are happy?

I can remember when they were here the first time they used to take off from and land on the beach... and for a short time there was even one that would take off and land on the water...

While I was having my lunch I got to thinking about these guys who are the pilots. Are they licensed to take up passangers. Looking at the pic with the smoke I have to question either the proper maintenance or the pilots competency to mix the fuel if it is 2 cycle. Even though they have a great glide ratio a little incompetency on the pilots part, the eng quits, they go into a stall and tera gets very firma on impact. I love to fly but I don't think I would go up in one of those down there.

While I was having my lunch I got to thinking about these guys who are the pilots. Are they licensed to take up passangers. Looking at the pic with the smoke I have to question either the proper maintenance or the pilots competency to mix the fuel if it is 2 cycle. Even though they have a great glide ratio a little incompetency on the pilots part, the eng quits, they go into a stall and tera gets very firma on impact. I love to fly but I don't think I would go up in one of those down there.
Hmm...wonder if they have insurance?

Eric

GaryD....The ultralights are a blast. Everytime we go down to Rocky Point we take a flight w/ those guys. Many of my friends say the highlight of their trip was their ultrlight flight.

Remember that one of the reasons many people love the Mexican beaches is because you CAN do things like walk your dog on any beach, jet ski off any beach, etc etc... The people that want total quiet can find that on many beaches around Rocky Point. But as with any area if one chooses to stay in the crowded popular area of any destination it's going to be more noisy. Me personally, i love seeing boats, jet skis and even ultralights go by w/ tourists on board having a blast. Myself & many others go to Rocky Point to have fun & play hard. I sleep at night and I know those ultralights etc dont operate at night..

Ive asked the ultralight pilot and the reason they fly close to the beach is for safety reasons vs flying way out over the water. Also the air off the ocean is a smoother flight vs flying out over the desert & guess where all the tourists ask him to fly...you got it the Sandy Beach resort area.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Remember that one of the reasons many people love the Mexican beaches is because you CAN do things like walk your dog on any beach, jet ski off any beach, etc etc...
Uh-huh. I was thinking this earlier when I first saw the post. We have many discussions along these lines. When you start restricting everything (heck, you can't even smoke a cigarette on CA beaches now), you might as well be in the US of A!

Viva Mexico! :mexico:

garyd

So if I understand you correctly if they flew at night and disturbed your sleep then you would be upset? Oh well, I love everything else about the beach except the unmuffled noisey ultralites so I guess I can just live with it. I guess that is why some people live next to the airport, they don'tmind the noise. I would never move there. Thanks for the input.

Kelney

Well Gary, I really do not like them much either but I just take it as a part of the atmosphere of Sandy Beach. They were pretty much non-existent last week. If you want a quiet time on the beach, I would recommend las Conchas or one of the other beaches down south. It is quite peaceful down there and the night sky is incredible.

S

Submarine

Remember that one of the reasons many people love the Mexican beaches is because you CAN do things like walk your dog on any beach, jet ski off any beach, etc etc... The people that want total quiet can find that on many beaches around Rocky Point. But as with any area if one chooses to stay in the crowded popular area of any destination it's going to be more noisy. Me personally, i love seeing boats, jet skis and even ultralights go by w/ tourists on board having a blast. Myself & many others go to Rocky Point to have fun & play hard. I sleep at night and I know those ultralights etc dont operate at night..
X-coastie said:
By the way; how come the people that were here first always have to go away so that condo people are happy?
EXACTLY This is exactly the same problem I have with ****ing Californians and others moving to Arizona and screwing up our State with the same rules and regulations they screwed up their state with. We don't need any help! Arizona used to be a place that you could, for example, go back your 4x4 into the Salt River to play music while people tubed nearby. Then you could hop on your ATC and blast through just about anywhere. When that got boring, you found a decent backstop and shot bottles and stuff dumped in the desert. Now you have to park in a parking lot and walk to a ramada near the river, get a sticker for your ATV and ride on designated trails, and shooting isn't allowed in most of the easily accessible areas of the Tonto NFS.
Now you wanna restrict the Ultralites? How about we do that plus ban jetskis and pangas from the surf line; ban aircraft from buzzing the beach; ban glass containers at the beach; restrict alcohol sales to those 21 and over; ban smoking in all restaurants, bars, and occupied structures plus the beaches; require licensing and registration for all cars domestic and foreign; establish Scottsdale style DUI checkpoints; have health inspectors along with an "A, B C" rating system for restaurants; ban taco stands because they don't have 3 sinks; rip up all the mismatched sidewalks so they are handicapped accessible (and while we're at it add proper curbs, drainage, and better seal the sewer system); how about real building codes and elevator inspections; establish a Mexican Dept of Agriculture to stamp and inspect all meat products; require everything to be printed in English too; have real railroad crossing barriers and flashing lights; crosswalks and crosswalk signs; painted lines you can actually see; ban all fireworks...
ah to hell with it, I'll just go to San Diego or Hawaii.
:gay::gay::gay::gay:

Brad47

Them Ulta Lites are the reason I sold my condo at Las Palmas, gosh darn them noisy SOB's. I'm now gone so no more dynamite in the parking lots Gary, you can sleep easy!!

I myself love the noise of fireworks, police sirens the fire department band playing music at 3:00a.m.. It's the noise of life in Mexico and it for me is peaceful. Sounds odd but if it is without these sounds, it,s creepy. Submarine; you said your peace with perfection. I am in full agreement. Let the good times roll.