Vaquita war

jerry

Much truth to what JJ says. As a gringo, there is little I can do to fight the cartel and cooperativas on the high seas. I have delivered the message here, running this site for 2o years now. I have seen the carnage and it disgusts me. But... I don't want to end up with a "friendly" visit in Mexico by some that know who I am. Right, Jerry?

The fact remains that if I feel I have recourse, I take action. More than once, I've cut turtles off illegal long lines in San Carlos. They fucking KNOW taking turtles is illegal, as well as their long line. They challenged me and we immediately start taking pictures. More than once, I've nosed my cat up to the edge of their shitty panga and started revving the motors. They are a long way out from shore and I'd have no hesitation putting both sponsons square up on that bitch and sinking it. They have always hauled ass because A) they know they're wrong and B) they know I'm a crazy fucking gringo that will take them out.

A single turtle is a hell of a payday for them on the black market. Google it, read about the illegal turtle trade in Guaymas. Watch the videos. They are there.

The Mexicans are their own worst enemies. A few dollars slipped into the right pocket makes it all okay. The Vaquita is a sad victim of this same fuckery and now that they can run gill nets again, you can kiss those sad, crying baby dolphins good-bye.

The fact that everything I've said here is true makes it even more tragic.
The reference to my "visit" should be something others consider.Also people brave enough to join the Sea Shepherds need to keep in mind these fishermen are controlled by cartel....they need those pangas out there at a minimum to cover the smuggling of dope to baja....Watch yourself...but hey living as a sheep is overrated...time to fight...

Well Jerry..........

There ain't no Crow in Yuma, will a Grackle suffice?

Anyway, there IS something really "fishy" about that video, like totally staged. I like how they conveniently have drones in the air and just filming away, also why do the fish being hauled up out of the water already have their bellies split open? Their state of decomposition and the amount of flies looks more like they were found dead on a beach or inland after being gutted and dumped.

And again, if this is such an issue where is the Mexican law enforcement and military? We have a guy from Mexicali that comes here once a week in a pickup truck with a coolero in the back that sells "White Sea Bass" steaks by the kilo. It is puro Totoaba and he always sells out in just an hour or so. So who cares? No one!

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
And again, if this is such an issue where is the Mexican law enforcement and military?

JJ
That always seems to be the question, doesn't it?

Gimme three of these and I guarantee all that shit would stop in a week.

So true Stu..........

I'd be willing to bet that all they would have to do is just bring one to San Felipe, one to El Golfo and one to PP on a trailer, the immediate VHF traffic would be astronomical within minutes and all pangas would return to base within hours.

Problem solved. If any were found out there in defiance, a few short bursts from those M60's at the pangas waterline followed by an immediate deep 6 would stop it forever, until of course, the gunboat crew gets their cut as to be expected.

JJ

jerry

So true Stu..........

I'd be willing to bet that all they would have to do is just bring one to San Felipe, one to El Golfo and one to PP on a trailer, the immediate VHF traffic would be astronomical within minutes and all pangas would return to base within hours.

Problem solved. If any were found out there in defiance, a few short bursts from those M60's at the pangas waterline followed by an immediate deep 6 would stop it forever, until of course, the gunboat crew gets their cut as to be expected.

JJ
That big marine filled boat you see around bird island is pretty gunned up too....the narcos still somehow arrange to nett blues out of season...

audsley

Had a strange conversation in Puerto Lobos this past weekend. A school principal from Mexicali told me a lot of the locals over there don't believe the vaquita actually exists. Local fishermen say they've never seen a vaquita. They think it's a hoax designed to drive out the fishermen, possibly to make way for offshore oil drilling in the northern SOC. Despite being well-educated, this guy seemed to be buying into this conspiracy theory.

To be honest, I was a little skeptical myself when I first heard of the endangered vaquita since I've known environmentalists to pull stunts like the Yuma puma and the Sierra Nevada bighorn sheep. (The game is to seek endangered species status for an animal exhibiting some local variations and try to get special rules and restrictions.) But subsequent research convinced me the animal is real.

I find it pretty disturbing that this rumor has gained some acceptance. Vaquita advocates, both government and non-profit, need to address it if there's any hope of defeating public opposition to the gill net ban. Maybe one of those captured vaquitas should be displayed in a tank along with a young bottlenose so people can see the difference.

And obviously some of the local fishermen are lying.

jerry

It goes both ways Audsley,a Mexican wolf showed up last month near my place and the Cowboys tried to claim it was a dog.....had a tracker on it from Mexico so that didn't work.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Had a strange conversation in Puerto Lobos this past weekend. A school principal from Mexicali told me a lot of the locals over there don't believe the vaquita actually exists. Local fishermen say they've never seen a vaquita. They think it's a hoax designed to drive out the fishermen, possibly to make way for offshore oil drilling in the northern SOC. Despite being well-educated, this guy seemed to be buying into this conspiracy theory.

To be honest, I was a little skeptical myself when I first heard of the endangered vaquita since I've known environmentalists to pull stunts like the Yuma puma and the Sierra Nevada bighorn sheep. (The game is to seek endangered species status for an animal exhibiting some local variations and try to get special rules and restrictions.) But subsequent research convinced me the animal is real.

I find it pretty disturbing that this rumor has gained some acceptance. Vaquita advocates, both government and non-profit, need to address it if there's any hope of defeating public opposition to the gill net ban. Maybe one of those captured vaquitas should be displayed in a tank along with a young bottlenose so people can see the difference.

And obviously some of the local fishermen are lying.
Without prejudice or racism, this seems to be a Mexican "thing." Not just with the vaquita, but with all sorts of things. I mean, if you've read up on the fuel thefts and situation in Puebla recently, the locals actually support them stealing from PEMEX. Cover for them, write songs about them, much like the narco ballads. They government seized six tanker trucks that were stealing fuel and the thieves stole them right back from the government! Amazing. Kind of the same with gillnets. Even though they are indiscriminate killers, the locals support their use. It will never change. On a good day, we can land more quality fish with hook and line than they can with a gill net. But it isn't about quality fish it's about the totuaba bladders right now, at least north of Penasco.

The "little unicorn of the sea" (since it doesn't exist) doesn't stand a chance. Sad.

You know Stu................

The vast majority of those really DECENT Mexican people are really just trying to get by, no one is getting rich other than the narcos and big gov guys, even the cops and military are just little fishies in the big cesspool of worldwide environmentaly fueled insanity. We started it, they are just mimicing it in their own little ways. I will guarantee that this very minute there are "think" tanks of USA university types that will do anything to deny you, me or anyone they can in order to have a tiny shred of "control" over to foster their agenda. They look for and obviously fake a single DNA sequence in order to "prove" that some here-to-fore "unknown" 1/4 inch wide Purple Hair Streak Butterfly that only lives on the south slope of some shitty old canyon in SoCal is ENDANGERED when until now no one ever heard of it, and of course means that all forms of development at that local are now forbidden forever.

It used to be that those Barney Fife and Ranger Rick types were just weird-o low paid nice guys out there to help you and me types, now they sport Glocks on their hips, M-16's and Mossburg Combat 12 shotguns in their new fifty thousand dollar pick-ups paid for by you and me. The instant they come in contact with us we are all "perps" and all they want to know is how many violations we have committed whilst they weren't looking.

Just think about their lonely shitty lives stuck in some big liberal city without a chance of ever actually first hand experiencing the desert, Sea of Cortez, the mountains of Sonora or even semi-remote spots in the FUSA. The only way they can lash out is with their high tech fake horse shit.

I can go on for hours, but right now I'm packing up my brand new seventy thousand dollar hot rod Ford pick up truck for a rip roaring weekend in Puerto Penasco Sonora Mexico.

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I agree with the "decent" part. Know so many of them and love'em all dearly.

But unlike many, I HAVE actually seen a Vaquita in the wild. Cute little buggers, but very boat shy. Not like the bigger dolphins that will come and play in your wake as you cruise.

To say they don't exist is like saying the world is flat. I hear you to an extent, like the spotted purple dumbledorf butterfly stuff. It can be way extreme. But the Vaquita is nearly gone. And by the looks of it, will be no more in our lifetime.

Have a good trip! I hope to be plying the waters soon!

Landshark

Great documentary, wish it was about something good in the sea. It paints a very vivid picture about the plight of the vaquita and the hopeless situation they are in. They are caught in the middle of a perfect storm with no realistic chance of survival. Between the Chinese and their historical belief in the magical cures of traditional Chinese medicine. their willingness to pay damn near anything to get it, the narcos providing the marketing, and the poor fishermen who finally have a real chance to make the big money, the little vaquita is totally screwed.

Last edited:
Great find Estero........

Another consideration into the last one of their kind equation: Just think of the value of the last Vaquitas themselves, as scientific specimens. There are more than likely a few boxed up in dusty old bins at big name museums and university collections, like the skeleton in the video at CEDO I presume. If those money crazed pangueros had a mind to it they could hold the last Vaquita carcasses hostage for any price they demand and only take Bitcoin as payment into a Wells Fargo account in Yuma or El Centro. Think of the value of a newly discovered ancient but well preserved carcass of a Dodo, Tasmanian Wolf, Passenger Pigeon, Carolina Parakeet or Ivory Billed Woodpecker!

On our way home back to Yuma on Monday we did see the blue Farley Mowat storm anchored close to shore getting the holy shit beat out of it in ten foot swells a few miles south of El Golfo.

Also, for the first time ever we saw a truck parked near Sam's Club advertising Almejas Fresca de El Golfo de Santa Clara. As if there aren't enough fresh clams available around PP. It is an obvious indication of some rough financial times for the El Golfo panguero fleet.

JJ

Landshark

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/china-totoaba-fish-bladder-trade-aquatic-cocaine-money-maw-endangered-species-report-a7317256.html?amp
The totoaba fish bladder is now being referred to as aquatic cocaine and in some cases is more valuable than the drug itself. The totoaba bladder black market is not much different than the illegal drug market that has plagued the US for many years. Both of the markets rely on a demand for the product and that demand is equally strong for each. The American obsession for drugs to "get high"fuels that market, and the Chinese obsession for totoaba bladders as a "cure all" medicine creates the other. The war on drugs has totally failed to control that market and a war on totoaba baddders will most surely have the same outcome. The solution is to curb the demand, but that hasn't happened and isn't going to happen. It is our human nature to make ourself "feel better," through the use of legal or illegal drugs, natural cures such a traditional Chinese medicine, alcohol and tobacco, etc. We are addicted to making ourself "happier," one way or the other. We are our own worst enemy...