Watch Your Trucks Closely - Part II!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sad as I am to report this, my good friend Mark had his truck stolen last night, right from in front of the Penasco Del Sol, parked next to the Security Guard shack. F-350 diesel. Just got off the phone with him; he's still in Penasco right now trying to get a Police report and such. Videotape clearly showed a car come down the street, two guys got out and approached his truck, then his truck driving away within a minute or so.

He and I talk a lot and he was aware of the attempt to steal my truck last week. He took extra precaution and felt safe being right next to Security. Doesn't seem to matter.

Talked to Audi, on his way back from fishing. He reported that Friday, just coming into town, there was a wrecked Dodge Durango surrounded by cops and police tape. Turned out that it was a narco shooting. The two guys in the Durango had been shot, the truck then careened off the highway and rolled.

It's getting very bad, folks. Watch yourselves!!

JimMcG

Sad as I am to report this, my good friend Mark had his truck stolen last night, right from in front of the Penasco Del Sol, parked next to the Security Guard shack. F-350 diesel. Just got off the phone with him; he's still in Penasco right now trying to get a Police report and such. Videotape clearly showed a car come down the street, two guys got out and approached his truck, then his truck driving away within a minute or so.

He and I talk a lot and he was aware of the attempt to steal my truck last week. He took extra precaution and felt safe being right next to Security. Doesn't seem to matter.

Talked to Audi, on his way back from fishing. He reported that Friday, just coming into town, there was a wrecked Dodge Durango surrounded by cops and police tape. Turned out that it was a narco shooting. The two guys in the Durango had been shot, the truck then careened off the highway and rolled.

Sad news indeed on both counts, as Mexico allows itself to again self inflict wounds, against its own interests. Thanks for the heads up.

Bye the way, as a followup to the prior flare gun discussion, I saw one with 4, 12 guage flares for less than $40 at Walmart the other night.

S

Submarine

I think you've probably watched too many movies if you go up against someone who might be armed with a flare gun.
I'd seriously consider just bringing my 1911 like I used to in the old days and just hiding it where I used to(not going to say on an open forum, but it worked for over a decade.).

Haven't heard one word about the narco shooting or stolen trucks in the 'lamestream' media. Guess they are too busy "reporting" about Sarah Palin needing water! and a bendy straw! and wanting to fly First Class!!!

jerry

I think you've probably watched too many movies if you go up against someone who might be armed with a flare gun.
I'd seriously consider just bringing my 1911 like I used to in the old days and just hiding it where I used to(not going to say on an open forum, but it worked for over a decade.).

Haven't heard one word about the narco shooting or stolen trucks in the 'lamestream' media. Guess they are too busy "reporting" about Sarah Palin needing water! and a bendy straw! and wanting to fly First Class!!!
This might be why you heard no discouraging words:
Murdered former host of Televisa Chihuahua

She was host of a news broadcast Televisa Chihuahua (Photo: Taken from leggonline.it)
CHIHUAHUA (SUN)
A former host of Televisa Isabella Maria Cordero was shot to death along with her friend by an armed commando in the northern city of Chihuahua, officials said Monday.

The bodies of two women, aged 23 and 22 years, were found inside a car late Thursday night.

Lamb currently works as Public Relations Officer of the National Chamber of Commerce (Kanak).

In the scene of the incident were found belonging to plain assault rifle, the usual weapon of organized crime. For the time is unknown motive.

With Lamb are now six journalists killed so far this year, in 2009, twelve journalists were killed.

The journalistic community has protested their lack of protection, as almost all the killings remain unpunished. Two other journalists remain missing.

Since 2000, the number of reporters killed about sixty, according to Reporters Without Borders (RSF), which makes Mexico the most dangerous country to practice journalism in America, according to the calendar.

The state of Chihuahua, which borders the United States is the most violent in Mexico. In its territory have produced about one third of the over 22,750 murders in the country since December 2006 war between cartels.

Although there are deployed across the nation a total of 65 thousand military and police federal public security work, could not stem the tide of killings.

Another violent incident took place last night in the northern state also of Nuevo Leon, whose capital Monterrey, an officer was shot dead by drug hit men and another was wounded , according to police reports.

In this event, add five policemen and two former officers killed this week by organized crime in Monterrey and its metropolitan area.

During the month were recorded in Nuevo Leon, about a dozen attacks on leaders and police officers, some of the policemen who were attacked were under investigation for alleged links with criminal groups.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Talked to Mark a few minutes ago. He said it's been a long day with the police, consulate, insurance adjuster etc. Said he was sitting on the beach, drinking a six pack. Probably same thing I would do. He also revealed something else of interest - police said his was the 4th Ford truck stolen in Penasco this weekend. There was one stolen in the spot next to where his was parked at Penasco Del Sol 12 hours earlier.

I am (personally) not going back to Mexico until I have the Ravelco system installed in my truck 1st week of May. My son and I installed Jimmi Jammers in all four doors yesterday. This is reaching epidemic level.

PS- I don't want hear one F'in word about how many trucks are stolen in the US everyday. If you drive a Ford, you're might as well paint a bullseye on it in Penasco right now.

S

Submarine

Well I have to agree with you Stuart and won't be making any trips anytime soon until I figure out something else too. I used to have a GPS tracking device installed in my truck that I could monitor via wireless internet, but my wireless card rarely works down there and how do you monitor it at the beach?
It was pretty cool though as it would send an alarm if the truck moved a pre-programmed distance.

dmcauley

I thought I'd never say this but Penasco is getting a bit dangerous. Without saying things in public that I shouldn't, I feel we need to be more careful in RP. Tourism is sure to take another blow but that's the price we are going to pay for sure.

Rhino

Here We Go Again!

I couldn't agree more that we have to be more careful....Everywhere. I'm not sure one truck stolen and another attempt in Penasco consititutes an epidemic. My Mexico vehicle is an F150 which is pretty cool and I will be more diligence but paranoid? I don't think so. In the past 3 or 4 years, I've had 2 trucks stolen out of my drive way and I live in North Scottsdale. One of them was taken by Hispanic crackheads. I know that because when it was recovered 2 days later there was a crack pipe in a sock and a Spanish rap/hip hop CD in the player and others in the cab. My guess is those are the same kind of guys who were involved in your incidents.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Rhino - did you not read what I posted? FOUR stolen this past weekend. Mine almost a statisitic the weekend prior. For someone who's been going to Penasco for over 25 years, this is indeed an epidemic. It ain't crackheads stealing them for a joyride! They're being specifically targeted by/for the narcos to haul loads. Your truck gets stolen in Mexico, you'll never see it again. Probably wouldn't want to anyway, because it won't be anything but a burnt shell, somewhere in the desert.

they are easy to open when a gun barrel is put to the back of the owners head
Very funny Jerry.....NOT!!!:evil:

I guess the best way to prevent theft is to make it so time consuming for the thief to steal YOUR vehicle...that they go steal someone else's!!!

Or wire in a self destrut mechanism!!!:stir: One less thief..... Anybody remember those devices that I believe someone in Australia came up with years ago....had flames come out the side of your vehicle engulfing the "culprit"????

Sorry to those of you who were victims for making light of the situation....I know that I would be very pissed if it happened to me........and that's putting it mildly!!! I can imagine the grief that person went thru with the insurance company/police in Penasco...I know it was grief when I just had an accident....

Last edited:
B

bahiatrader

It is quite probably crack or meth heads that are stealing the vehicles though. The actual trafficers aren't going to jeopardize themselves when it's too easy to trade dope for a vehicle. I've noticed the theft rate in Rocky Point has amplified along with increased meth use. Tons of marijuana has gone through Puerto Peñasco for years with little or no theft increase until meth started to become prevalent.

jerry

It is quite probably crack or meth heads that are stealing the vehicles though. The actual trafficers aren't going to jeopardize themselves when it's too easy to trade dope for a vehicle. I've noticed the theft rate in Rocky Point has amplified along with increased meth use. Tons of marijuana has gone through Puerto Peñasco for years with little or no theft increase until meth started to become prevalent.
You are wrong...the narcos have keys to everything and thanks to ex-workers at Ford dealers and DMV everything else they need too (titles etc.)

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2010/04/military-to-rescue-but-they-forgot-rest.html

B

bahiatrader

I don't think so Jerry. Not by choice, I happen to be on speaking terms with some of the trafficers. They're not about to risk a lucrative business by getting busted for something as petty as stealing trucks. One trip will sometimes net enough to buy several new vehicles. One truck, motorhome, or fairly new Lexus is good for about three trips before it starts to raise suspicions. There are body shops in Rocky Point that specialize in hiding stuff in vehicles. I was once offered $10 K just to ferry a motorhome from Rocky Point to Phoenix. I declined of course. The trafficers also hire someone to do the driving for them. I know of two college girls who got fairly new high-end vehicles just for driving them from Phoenix to Rocky Point and back three times. Customs keeps track of vehicles making frequent trips. After three trips fairly close together they'll usually search a vehicle thoroughly. They just don't have the time or manpower to search every vehicle. I got this from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Stuart, I would agree that 4 trucks in one weekend and almost yours the previous weekend is excessive and abnormal. It's unnerving to hear about these accounts because I love Penasco so much and have for more than 10 years now. I go a lot, maybe not as much as others that "own" in Penasco, but more than your average Rocky Point tourist. I average a trip a month and am coming down this weekend of the 23rd. Having said that, should I be worried about my truck? It's a Toyota Tacoma Desert Prerunner with a lot of aftermarket work done to it, fox racing shocks, front bumber with skid plate, flaired fenders, the whole nine yards. The good thing is, its not the typical "Narco" truck as you have mentioned and its only 2wd. However it is an extremely nice truck. I would go on life tilt and be so pissed if something happened to it while I was there. Before this truck I had a 2000 Chevy Silverado with 22's and it was a really good looking truck. Im very acculturated with the latin community and I know for a fact that having a Chevy or Ford truck that is flashy is a status symbol. In saying this I always figured that it was possible for something to happen to it down there, but honestly I never had one issue with theft. So now after reading Stuarts post last week I started thinking a little more about it. I fully have anxiety now after reading this latest post by Stuart and coinsidently Im headed down this weekend which has really got the nerves going. So I guess my question to Stuart or anyone else that spends a significant amount of time down there is, should I be worried even though I dont have a FORD SUPERDUTY? I wonder what the stats are on auto theft in RP? If its really just a FORD SUPERDUTY problem I would feel much more comfortable. Does Mexican auto insurance cover against vehicle theft or just accident liability? STUART you have me all nervous now!

Has anybody tried the the Turbo Lifesaver? Works with diesels only. Plugs into wire loom under steering column cover on my Ford Super Duty.
Has two switches one you poke and it will beep for each minute you want for cool down up to 10 min. Pull keys out lock truck if some one tries to take truck when they touch break pedal everything shuts down can only be started with key. The switch is a toggle switch flip it over and everything shuts down can not start even with key . I installed both switches under dash by steering column sometimes hard for me to find. Has saved truck twice from being stolen.

Jim

I just drive a 1999 Chevy Blazer and I never wash it. Doesn't really matter if I lock it or not. I don't leave any money or important papers in it. No one wants it and that works for me. Theft has always been a problem, but here as anywhere else, you need to take the normal precautions.

I don't think so Jerry. Not by choice, I happen to be on speaking terms with some of the trafficers. They're not about to risk a lucrative business by getting busted for something as petty as stealing trucks. One trip will sometimes net enough to buy several new vehicles. One truck, motorhome, or fairly new Lexus is good for about three trips before it starts to raise suspicions. There are body shops in Rocky Point that specialize in hiding stuff in vehicles. I was once offered $10 K just to ferry a motorhome from Rocky Point to Phoenix. I declined of course. The trafficers also hire someone to do the driving for them. I know of two college girls who got fairly new high-end vehicles just for driving them from Phoenix to Rocky Point and back three times. Customs keeps track of vehicles making frequent trips. After three trips fairly close together they'll usually search a vehicle thoroughly. They just don't have the time or manpower to search every vehicle. I got this from the horse's mouth so to speak.
I was just wondering....since the Customs people input your license plate number into the computer when you cross, isn't it cross-referenced against a stolen vehicle database? If so, all sorts of bells and whistles should go off...or am I asking/assuming too much from our wonderful Government????

Status
Not open for further replies.